Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Which is the Best Free Software for Forum?

I am a newbie....and currently I have some experience in developing ecommerce websites.

Now I want to have a forum..

What I have seen is, Vbulletin is the most widely used software for forums....but it is very expensive for me...also the addon vbseo is additional $149.....Currently I don't have that much money

Is there any free software available in the market with the same or better functionality so that I can compete with other forums in my niche....

I have only seen PHPBB but I don't know anything about it....

The software should have a support forum, free addons and should be SEO friendly....

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Here are the top three I would recommend after several years of experience: phpBB, MyBB, SMF.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:01 PM

Honestly, the best way to decide which forum software works best for you is to try them all. Set up a web server and a MySQL database and just place each forum software into it's own folder and run them all to see what you feel is best. Since you're going for no cost software, there's no harm in doing it, it will just take a little time.

I've used ProBoards, phpBB and vBulletin, and without a doubt, vBulletin is the best. But, like you said, it's expensive, and if you cannot afford it, you cannot afford it.

Proboards is very easy to use, and it's free, the problem is you cannot, at least you could not the last time I checked, host it on your own web server, you host it on their server. Some people don't care about that, some do. Personally, I can't stand it, so I don't use Proboards, but if you don't mind, then I recommend going that route.

phpBB is decent software, but the knack on it for so long has been the fact it's not very secure. Personally, Iv'e never had a problem with it, so you'd have to do your own research in that area. But, phpBB is professional looking, has loads of support and modifications, and can be manipulated quite well.

I haven't tried myBB or SMF, but if you're looking for a free forum, I'd suggest Proboards or phpBB, depending upon whether or not it matters to you if you're hosting the site or not.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadmubeen View Post
I am a newbie....and currently I have some experience in developing ecommerce websites.

Now I want to have a forum..

What I have seen is, Vbulletin is the most widely used software for forums....but it is very expensive for me...also the addon vbseo is additional $149.....Currently I don't have that much money

Is there any free software available in the market with the same or better functionality so that I can compete with other forums in my niche....

I have only seen PHPBB but I don't know anything about it....

The software should have a support forum, free addons and should be SEO friendly....
I've found a couple of great free software forum that you may highly consider. One is by Simple Machines you could check their discussion about Making your Smf forum as SEO friendly as possible. Also you could try Vanilla Forums they offer both Simple and Expert way of creating your very own forum.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
Honestly, the best way to decide which forum software works best for you is to try them all. Set up a web server and a MySQL database and just place each forum software into it's own folder and run them all to see what you feel is best. Since you're going for no cost software, there's no harm in doing it, it will just take a little time.

I've used ProBoards, phpBB and vBulletin, and without a doubt, vBulletin is the best. But, like you said, it's expensive, and if you cannot afford it, you cannot afford it.

Proboards is very easy to use, and it's free, the problem is you cannot, at least you could not the last time I checked, host it on your own web server, you host it on their server. Some people don't care about that, some do. Personally, I can't stand it, so I don't use Proboards, but if you don't mind, then I recommend going that route.

phpBB is decent software, but the knack on it for so long has been the fact it's not very secure. Personally, Iv'e never had a problem with it, so you'd have to do your own research in that area. But, phpBB is professional looking, has loads of support and modifications, and can be manipulated quite well.

I haven't tried myBB or SMF, but if you're looking for a free forum, I'd suggest Proboards or phpBB, depending upon whether or not it matters to you if you're hosting the site or not.
Just a little info about Proboards. I am a former Mod on there and still love there software.

Proboards is a Free Remotley hosting forum service. A few years ago they now allow people to use there own domain name for there forum but the forum is still hosted on there server. (Click for Info (Plus side is no "name.proboards.com" for your URL) They have info about this service in there support section in a sticky thread. Here more info about proboards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProBoards

They have recently on may 1st updated there TOS and Private Policy, i forget what they have changed in it though.

Proboards still working on a complete rewrite of there forum software code so the forum may be a lot better in the near future. I also like phpBB forums if i was to choose a free forum software to use but more spammers flock to this software so measures need to be taken to prevent spammers from joining phpBB forums.

Vbulletiin is my favorite but if you don't have the money to invest and you are not serious about running a forum for a long time then don't use VB.

(Sorry for the plug for proboards, i spent many hours on there for a few years)

Old 05-19-2010, 04:39 AM

Whatever you do, make sure you stay away from vBulletin 3.8.4, too many security exploits.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 AM

I like myBB. Simple to set up and run, nice and clean interface and a growing user base. Not as widely supported as phpBB so depends on how far you see your requirements growing for plugins, integration etc.

Kunena for Joomla is solid too if you want the option of expanding the site at a later date.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

In my opinion it is phpBB though at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 AM

MyBB is a nightmare to manage for any large site. phpBB is a bit better in that regard, but it's slower and not as well put together. SMF 2.0 would be king of the hill if it was released when it should have been - it scales much better than the others.

It is largely a personal preference issue, each has their quirks. Overall, I've come to prefer SMF but that's mostly because MyBB still has a ways to go regarding large communities, I think.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

phpBB for a whole database of mods. I've been using phpBB and I think it's really good with all it's mods

Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM
v7n Mentor

I highly recommend that you take a look at MYBB. I think it has a lot of potential, the themes are pleasing to the eye, security fixes are usually fixed within 24 - 48 hours, its even been subjected to third party security test.

SMF is good, but there are some "problems" with the SMF project. Last I heard, there was even a court case to figure out who has right to lead the community.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

PHPBB, MyBB both are good IMO.
Here is a list of forum software if you like to digg more
webcosmoforums.com/forum-management/6032-webmaster-forum-software-list.html

Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Trust me, the best powerful Forum software with highly seo friendly mod is phpbb-seo premoded (Ready made pack of phpBB forum installed with phpBB-SEO mod ). You can see my forum as an example. It's highly powerful and configurable, if you really know the best settings for it, your website will rank top in search results than vbulletin forums installed with vBseo. The phpbbseo is little bit to configure if you are new to phpbb software.
here is the website : http://www.phpbb-seo.com/

Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

I really like MyBB. It's a great free alternative to vB.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 PM

I have tried most of the free ones and I like SMF the best.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Contributing Member

I would personally go for phpBB, although I also enjoy SMF. I think SMF has a bit of an easier admin panel to understand, but phpBB is worth it once you get into it.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Like many of the people here i would go with MYBB and PHPBB

Old 08-21-2010, 04:06 PM
v7n Mentor

IM just devloping the forum in my signature, through Mybb.

I have very low skill levels in coding, even basic html is hard for me, but im doing ok. You can get some plug ins, they have a forum and many other people offer paid mods and plugins.

I cant compare to other software because i havent used any, but so far i think its delightfully easy to use. Wether its as good from an SEO perspective, only time will tell, but i have just installed an SEO plugin.

Just a shame you cant get a plugin to generate visitors and members (LOL)

Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Try new open source Forum software from Wordpress.It is called as BBPress

Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Stick with PHPbb or SMF.

PHPbb is easily customizeable to your own brand,
SMF is more focused on tools and system MGT.

Id recommend PHPbb out of the two :p

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management