Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 07-09-2010, 05:05 AM

How Much Money Do Forums Make ?

Anybody have a list of the money some forums are making ?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Mine's not making much of anything. It costs way more to run than it makes. They call it a labour of love.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodForum.com View Post
Anybody have a list of the money some forums are making ?
I don't think to many forum owners would actually disclose there forums earnings in public. That's private information as in me asking what your salary is at your job or how much is your mortage.

You can make money with forums but it depends on how well you monitize it.

Over on sitepoint is a good article on this. http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/...ll-make-money/

I can not find any lists of forums earnings online. I have found threads on other forums, yahoo answers with a few folks mentioning what they make in a month but no way to know if it's true or not. (those threads more then 4 years old)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 AM

What money a forum makes really depends on many things. The niche and target audience, site design, content, and much much more.
As snakeair has said, many people keep this information to themselves and I would be wary of any people making large claims public...

Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I don't think to many forum owners would actually disclose there forums earnings in public. That's private information as in me asking what your salary is at your job or how much is your mortage.

You can make money with forums but it depends on how well you monitize it.

Over on sitepoint is a good article on this. http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/...ll-make-money/

I can not find any lists of forums earnings online. I have found threads on other forums, yahoo answers with a few folks mentioning what they make in a month but no way to know if it's true or not. (those threads more then 4 years old)
Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovystar View Post
Mine's not making much of anything. It costs way more to run than it makes. They call it a labour of love.
Same here with GodForum.com ... the "work" is the reward for me

Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

sitepoint post is nice for what you wanna know, even DP is one of the high earning forum.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalprince7 View Post
sitepoint post is nice for what you wanna know, even DP is one of the high earning forum.
I'm sure others earn more than those 2

Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 PM
v7n Mentor

The one thing that does make it challenging to make money in your forums is by allowing off topic content to run rampant. I run a rather serious forum that discusses serious issues so as not to be a downer on everyone who visits, I have to maintain a healthy amount of lighter content so as not to make everyone who visits miserable.

While this helps with the overall forum mood, the more time people spend in the off topic areas the less money I tend to pull in. Conversely, when serious topics are being discussed the ads perform reasonably well.

I think most forums have a central theme or focus, the closer you can stick to this the better you may do with ads. Of course this is just a trend I noticed at my own site; I'm not sure if the same can be said for all forums.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

I think Facebook has taken some traffic from Forums, but they can still be very profitable, more profitable than blogs in fact. Just make sure to optimize ads and affiliate marketing. as well as renting out ad space.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

From http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/...ll-make-money/, I think forum can make healthy income by depending on its popularity. There are many ways to make money with forum.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 by 7 View Post
I think Facebook has taken some traffic from Forums, but they can still be very profitable, more profitable than blogs in fact. Just make sure to optimize ads and affiliate marketing. as well as renting out ad space.
True ... a comeback with forums is possible ...

the forum developers have not innovated fast enough ... they are severely

lacking in many ways.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Banned

by putting efforts you can make handsome money with forums, as they have human geniune content

Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenyn View Post
by putting efforts you can make handsome money with forums, as they have human geniune content
Forums existed before Facebook and were around thousands of years ago ...

they aren't going away anytime soon.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm sure you could make money off a forum if you happen to sell something to your audience that's posting at your forums. For example; if you ran a webmaster forum and you had a product that was geared towards webmasters, you could have a lot of potential customers there...

Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

that sounds like "can anybody have me a list of free directories?"

IMO from my small experience forums could make decent money. then again there are lot of labor involved keeping the forum clean and useful to users.

a forum could take more then a year to see some money coming.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharatnikhil View Post
DP is one of the Second Highest Adsense earner after Digg ....

Ever since the news a long time ago about what DP made with adsense got viral, people still think Shawn's forum earns that much. No one knows for sure what he makes because he does not brag about it and also DP forum has there own custom coded advertising feature now. Shawn does not use adsense as much now on his forum.

As you can tell, if you add more then one option to earn money from your forum, your chances of earning a lot each month goes up. One day adsense could just ban your adsense account and then your forum is earning no money. Have a backup plan to earn money from your forum if you plan to one day grow it huge.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 PM

Dear Writer,
You know that now a days the cost of every thing highly in the shape of good lineless and create the inflation high percentage.
And i think that the price of some dollar,

Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
The one thing that does make it challenging to make money in your forums is by allowing off topic content to run rampant. I run a rather serious forum that discusses serious issues so as not to be a downer on everyone who visits, I have to maintain a healthy amount of lighter content so as not to make everyone who visits miserable.

While this helps with the overall forum mood, the more time people spend in the off topic areas the less money I tend to pull in. Conversely, when serious topics are being discussed the ads perform reasonably well.

I think most forums have a central theme or focus, the closer you can stick to this the better you may do with ads. Of course this is just a trend I noticed at my own site; I'm not sure if the same can be said for all forums.
Hm interesting.

Btw I've a board with a few K members, it's a forum for the university students at the local university, but I don't make much with it... tried everything (adsense etc). Now I just run a banner to dealextreme and a shirt selling page in the header

Old 10-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalprince7 View Post

I agree to this, as this is not so easy therefore many forum owners claim that they are earning much. However, the truth is different and there claim is just as fake as we say that sugar is salty in taste. Someone here said that there are other forums also which earn more than DP and have more traffic than it. I would like to ask them that please do take some pain in giving the URL of such forums to me also.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Closed Thread