Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 AM

When does a PHP forum become a Content Management System?

I'm managing a private board and I'm beginning to see some overlap in providing content and allowing users to share information. I'm trying to decide if it's time to move to a CMS. I'm deciding on migration paths, or are there minor differences.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
v7n Mentor

I think a forum becomes a CMS when said forum is integrated or bridged with other available software solutions such as Joomla, Wordpress, etc.

I already posted in another topic my opinion on the matter but I'll share a bit here too; personally I think forums are a great way to attract an audience but I do believe a forum should compliment some other form of software such as a blog.

In my experience, forums have a life of their own which despite what many think, you do not have full control over. While you may have control over admin functions on the board you do not have control over what people have on their minds and are willing to share via forum discussion.

The best way to fully control your content and make sure it's completely relevant to your sites niche is to utilize other software that only you or a select few have permissions to publish on.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management