Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Lightbulb How to get people to post

What do you find is the best way to get traffic to sign up and post on forums?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM

If you want get traffic for your site, you should choose relative forum and post attractive article.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

It's not necessarily traffic.. it's getting people to sign up and start posting. I am very passionate about my topic, yet no one seems to actually register. The forum is full looking too... just thought it would be a good thread to generate some ideas on how to bait users into registering.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

First we/ I wanna know what kind of forum do you have / managing ?
I'm a member of 2 different kind of forums, the a PC Community and a web master community. People will sign up if and only if they find a forum beneficial and useful in their day to day lives. Like here in V7N, new members were here is one reason, because they find this community friendly, full of useful information and because of quality knowledge they can get from here.

In a PC Community, it offers freebies, full technical support, friendly and helpful members.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

I have several forums, Growing Marijuana - Slacklining - Hunting & Fishing to name a few.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for that information. It gives me now a hint.
Have you tried maximizing the social networking sites by all means? If not, better try it now. On facebook, join groups having the same interest / themes as what your forums have. Take note to have active participation, do not just join for the sake of promotion, it's not a good idea. On twitter, use twiends to search for people having the same interest, invite them in your forum(s). Try as well blogs belong to your niche, use the URL of your forum inside "Website" box, but make a contribution to the blog, don't just drop your link.
Last place I knew bunch of people are in, are in Forums. Joining forums related to yours is good, however, beware of their signature link rules. Some forums are not allowing promotional link esp. leading to competitor forums.

Desperate move:
PM those members, inviting them to join in your forum because of this, because of that ... in short, you are outsourcing your soon to be members from different forum.
However, doing this will result to be kicked out.

Last edited by MrSS; 10-24-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

I was thinking about having a contest, something like the first person to reach 100 posts gets a free t-shirt. Maybe this would help spark them to sign up and post positive content?

It's not the SEO I'm having problems with, I just wanted to generate some ideas on how to get your traffic converted into a user.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

My idea about social media looks like about SEO, but it can also help in having new and interested members. Doing contest is good if the price is at stake, you know a common user will be attracted if they know the prize is right.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohill View Post
...just thought it would be a good thread to generate some ideas on how to bait users into registering.
I think you nailed it right there. One way to 'bait' someone to register and post is to prod them into doing so. Of course, I don't mean to suggest that this is a sure-fire method or that anyone should do this all the time - but a little controversy or misinformation can go a long way to getting a reaction.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

The other thing I've noticed is some users are turned away by some registration methods, try and require the least amount of info to get a user registered, then once they start logging in they will eventually fill out their profile. I've seen some forums require like 50 things to register, I've made it a point only to require a few things to register. Seems to have an impact.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

Definitely. Minimal is better. Email, username & password if possible. Auth the email and it's done. But you still have to get them to the registration page.

Having a clean and simple registration is nice [and certainly there is a point at which users will just back out of a registration if it's overly complicated when all they want to do is post a reply] but if a user is bent on joining for reasons that go beyond the there-and-then, it doesn't really matter. So long as you're not forcing tons of personal info fields that most people now a days easily see as a method for profiling and targeted advertising.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Assuming you have already crossed the first hurdle of getting traffic to your blog. Then you must make your blog title intriguing, write content that is thought evoking and give enough tease to draw people in to leave a comment. Try not to completly finish all angles of a post, leave a little something for others to mention.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

This is forum management, not blogs.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan thorley View Post
Assuming you have already crossed the first hurdle of getting traffic to your blog. Then you must make your blog title intriguing, write content that is thought evoking and give enough tease to draw people in to leave a comment. Try not to completly finish all angles of a post, leave a little something for others to mention.
Commenting [like on a blog] and discussion [on a forum] are two entirely different things and aren't interchangeable. Unless of course low quality replies are ones only concerns.

EDIT though that is a good point and eludes a little to what I said earlier - "Try not to completly finish all angles of a post, leave a little something for others to mention". Give the visitor some room to add to the topic. Misinformation and controversy are starting points.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM

I recently started a forum about 5 months ago and it is growing slowly but steadily. One thing that really helped in the beginning was having a contest. Now I read this somewhere so I am not taking credit for this idea.

I had a "forum founders" contest where the 10 people who had the most posts by whatever deadline(I set mine a month after the site started) would be given the title "forum founder" under their name. This really helped people feel involved and posts shot through the roof! Now, months later those 10 people are still actively involved because there is a feeling of ownership of the site.

I also created a private forum and hold small posting contests such as "thread of the week" just for those 10 individuals - which keeps them posting. I have a point bank and a "prize arcade" so every time someone is given thread of the week they are given a point to spend or save. The prizes are small and probably amount to $5 a week or so. It has really seemed to work and it is nice to have a community helping me instead of feeling like i'm doing it all myself

Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 PM

A prize is definitely good. I would say money or some other thing more interesting than a shirt would work (no offense).

Old 10-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Artist & Motion Designer

Can't say that of the places I joined up to take part in some contest, after it was done, I ever EVER went back.

Setting up a contest strictly for the purposes of getting users to register and post only really attracts users interested in getting free stuff, not necessarily the quality users who are interested in community driven discussions or learning.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 PM

If you own a forum. It is important for you to participate on the relevant forum so that you can snatch the users form competitors.

Get involved in more and more social media news websites with blog comments and guest post.

Try reading our forum rules about self promoting... V7N moderator

Last edited by snakeair; 10-31-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: link removed

Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 AM

The first mistake I ever made starting up one of my first forums is to try and bait them in. That never works, and you are bound to fail miserably.

What you need to do is prioritize, focus, and generate content to keep the users peeled and make them feel like registering.

You got a forum that looks snazzy? Good, now you have to work on the content.

Competitions are only effective to an active and large member-base, and postcount is never a good incentive for the prize because they will race to be the first one; inevitably spurring a lot of bad, and unimportant posts that do not contribute to the good content you want for your forum.

Best of luck,

~Canterlot

Old 11-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

That's true.. you guys bring up some good points. +rep

You can't lose with quality content.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management