Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

When To Move Off Shared Hosting

Here is some stuff to talk about for the forum admin's.

For the admins who first started out on a shared hosting plan (if you did), when did you figure out that moving to a dedicated server or a VPS server was the best thing to do? Did you wait till your host threatened to suspend your account or did you look at all your stat's and revenue stream to figure out that a server/VPS was needed and close to your budjet?

I know that some people think that they could create a forum and make it the biggest in there niche and make a ton of money but it's not that simple to do. You the admin going to have to invest time and money into your forum to make it very profitable. The main thing is "Uptime" and "speed". We all know that on shared hosting accounts, they pack that server really tight. All it takes is for your forum to one day get a huge spike in traffic to trigger something or crash the server. (Maybe not crash it but cause problems)

I do understand that picking the wrong host will lead to many problem's. Long time ago when i had a forum, i picked the wrong host and the forum was down at least once a week for 1 month till i move the forum to another host then later selliing it. At that time, the forum wasn't big enough to move to it's own server but it was getting close to needing one.

Any thoughts on when to switch your forum over to a VPS server or a dedicated server? Is there any warning signs that a forum admin needs to be aware of?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Moving to a dedicated server or a VPS is very nice move when it comes to managing a forum. You need to do it with timing. Doing it too early will give you expenses. Doing it late will give you headaches. You need to make sure that when you see that traffic is increasing evidently, that's the time to decide to transfer to a dedicated server or a VPS.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

I have shared, vps and dedicated servers.

I'd say switch to a VPS if the page load is under 4 seconds OR the hosting experiences lots of downtimes pretty regularly. You want your site/forum to be as much accessible as possible.

right now I am paying for mine: $19.95/mo + $5 backups which is pretty good.

the hosting nowadays is pretty affordable and you can provide a better experience to your users when using a faster host.

I am assuming that you've redirected the static content to Amazon S3 or other similar services ?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Banned

Forums

Well its basic math,

1-300 users = shared hosting
300 - 5000 users = VPS
5000+ users = dedicated server

Oh
Am i right ? I just guessed.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

We actually have ran some pretty big sites on our shared servers no problems. We just make use of a lot of caching services. It depends on how the host is setup.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 AM

wait till your provider complains about your traffic

Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

As long as admins use commonsense they should be make right decision changing/upgrading hosting.

I would recommend watching the log files. Vbulletin sends db errors to admin emails.
When a site gets too busy site would get too many db crash errors too often. When that happens you know its time.

We started with shared hosting. Now we pay dedicated. This is something that should not be neglected; always try to have the site speed in standard.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post

Any thoughts on when to switch your forum over to a VPS server or a dedicated server? Is there any warning signs that a forum admin needs to be aware of?
IMHO When your members start complaining about the speed. If you keep getting the same complaints over say a month or two and from different members, with no improvement it may be time to start looking into it.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM

It comes down to analyzing the resources being utilized, if you're exceeding disk space / bandwidth or experiencing slow load times then you need to upgrade.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM

It depends a great deal on your host. If they are optimized well, then you could have hundreds of active members without issue. Though, I would suggest changing before getting to the stage where users are actually complaining about speed. If you can afford a VPS (which are pretty cheap now days) then go for it, you can easily upgrade the spec with most VPS and then change to a dedicated server when your getting a great deal of members (upper X,XXX)

Regards

Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

I'd say. Once you get to 300 users online at the same time then I would move to at least a vps.

You could probably do fine on a shared server with 300 users. But if I hit 300 users online at the same time I would go ahead and do the upgrade to a vps to plan for future growth.

Chad

Old 10-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

untill your hosting provider complains about your traffic

Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King21 View Post
untill your hosting provider complains about your traffic
So you would wait till your forum has hosting issue's because of huge traffic before switching?

Wouldn't the downtime or slow loading time make your members want to never come back?

It is good to make the move before you run into hosting problem's, the forum owner should be on top of things to take the forum into the next step as moving off shared hosting before the forum runs into problems.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
So you would wait till your forum has hosting issue's because of huge traffic before switching?

Wouldn't the downtime or slow loading time make your members want to never come back?

It is good to make the move before you run into hosting problem's, the forum owner should be on top of things to take the forum into the next step as moving off shared hosting before the forum runs into problems.
Agrees, but it depends on the host. Some "advertise" low density enterprise shared hosting that might cope with higher load. They should be raising a support with the provider to discuss the issue and see what can be done.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 AM

I had a gaming forum a few years ago that grew pretty quickly. I started noticing slowdowns at peak times so I moved to a vps 1 week after I noticed the slow downs. These days I would not touch shared hosting with the price of VPS hosting, I see no reason to use shared.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerto49 View Post
Agrees, but it depends on the host. Some "advertise" low density enterprise shared hosting that might cope with higher load. They should be raising a support with the provider to discuss the issue and see what can be done.
Right now i'm on a "Managed Performance VPS" server over at websynthesis.com and my last host was hostgator (shared hosting) which I ran into problems with them with 1 blog. Seems the other sites on the server was doing some shady traffic activity and messing up the server, there support team didn't know anything so I left because of bad tech support. Heck, I found out the issue and i'm not a hosting expert.

This was 1 year ago and i'm still with my same host.

(FYI, the host I recommended is for blogs only)

Sometimes you get unlucky and some bad websites or forums running on your shared server so it's best to be on your own if you plan to grow a huge forum.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 AM

basically when your shared hosting can no longer handle the traffic!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM

until recently i owned a Fish Aquarium Forum called BCAQUARIA . We had always been on a vps, consistantly about 100 users online at a time. A vps was invaluable for us because it offered so many things we could monitor. WE could optimize the vps just for the forum alone. A caching system on a forum is really essential.. well it was for us anyways. Instead of 40 users loading the same page 40 times, why not cache is so it's stored once for 40 users.. for 50 seconds or something.

If your getting bad delays, downtime, users complaining about speed.. might be time to look

Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Most hosts use cloud linux now so users are able to see how much resources are they using. The best way to tell is to see if the entry processes are exceeding 10 all the times. If constantly your entry processes are above 10 then maybe its time to move hots.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

We moved to dedicated server right after getting over couple thousands people per day. Not a fan of VPS and we are more of a classic dedicated server, the ones you know what is it going on with them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management