Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy What to do if contributing members starting to break the rules?

Given that you are a moderator and your members, no, contributing members are starting to break rules. The rules they are breaking is the rule regarding site advertisement, what are you going to do?

Situation:
They have been warned, once; and given infraction points twice for repeated violation of the said rule. But they seem not bothering to follow the rules anymore. They are advertising other forums deliberately and indirectly like putting watermark in screenshots, linking up the photos to that forum or sometimes cloaking a link.

Do they deserve to be banned, temporarily to make them realize their fault, that there's no excuse for violation though they're regular contributing members or ban them permanently for still not changing after some given patience and leniency?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

If that member has been given a PM warning, real warning and 1 or 2 infractions and still doing the same thing, I would ban that member for a certain time period or for good depending on previous posting history on the forum.

The veteran members who been on the forum for a long time should know the rules by now and understand the moderators likes and dislikes. No one should be given a freebie just because they a long time member. Rules are rules.

If you continue to bend them for certain members, that's when everyone starts to try to get away with things. All hell would break loose.

Got to put your foot down. If they don't like being banned for a bit then so be it, they can find another forum to break rules on.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 PM

Agreed with snakeair. If you give certain members of your community more "flexibility" with the rules then you risk alienating the newer members that join and creating a sense of superiority for these contributing members. You may lose those (used to be) contributing members but at the end of the day, your community needs to be bigger than them.

With that said, make sure you are being objective. As in, don't go on a power trip just to flex your muscles. "With great power comes great responsibility."

Old 06-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

Snakeair gave you the best info there. What I normally do is let the infractions add up as well, I guess I am lenient to a point. But where I mod, 5 infraction points are enough for a temporary ban, so it gets the message through quickly.

The only problem with a temporary ban, is that sometimes they realize its only temporary and then when they are allowed back on the forum, they carry on the way they did previously. If that happens, its a permaban for 'em. Some do see the light and behave, but some will find other ways to promote or just carry on as if they have never left.

being a mod is not easy, especially with the decisions made daily. The best ally a mod can have is admin or more experienced mods. I would run the situation past admin and see what they think about the idea.

Good luck It sounds like a hairy situation at best.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

I also believe you have to temporarily ban even if they have contributed in the past. Consistent application of the rules is necessary when dealing with people. If they are engaging in those types of activities then obviously they do not have much respect for the community.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM

I would recommend to ban them temporarily. When they inquire about the ban, just tell them the rules that they have broken. And, you can warn if they do it again, the account will be banned permanently.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Have you considered that the rule might need to be changed?
It almost sounds like an attempt to be the end of the internet... That's always going to cause difficulty.
Mentioning other sites is normal and healthy.
Pretending like the rest of the internet doesn't exist is always going to create problems.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone View Post
Have you considered that the rule might need to be changed?
It almost sounds like an attempt to be the end of the internet... That's always going to cause difficulty.
Mentioning other sites is normal and healthy.
Pretending like the rest of the internet doesn't exist is always going to create problems.
I could agree with your last sentence.

Did you really read the first post? These folks are actively promoting another forum.

I have a personal policy of not mentioning other forums on any other forum site I visit. I follow that policy on this site. I consider that to be polite way to be a member. For after all, I am a guest of the site I am visiting and I try not to crap on the carpet or chew the furniture legs while I am a guest.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

If they have been given warnings and infractions already, yet continue to break the rule, go ahead and temporarily ban them. If they happen to come back after being banned and break the rule again, ban them permanently. That's what I would do in a situation like this anyway. Yes, they're contributing members, but they're still a member and although active, loyal members are obviously more valuable and respected, you have to make things fair for everyone.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 AM

Rules

Rules are rules. I think that they deserve to be banned, temporarily to make them realize their fault, that there's no excuse for violation though they're regular contributing members. If it was me, I will follow this kind of procedure.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

I came across this situation on another forum, there was a member who joined way before I did, and had lots of posts established on the forum...most would think that someone who has a high post count would be a good quality member.

I don't know what happened, or what triggered him to go off (I may have an idea, but I won't speculate) but one day he started saying racial slurs against other members, particularly against members from foreign countries...I kind of found it ironic because after checking his profile he happened to be from a foreign country himself.

Needless to say, after numerous warnings and removal of his racial remarks; he was permanantly banned!

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM

you know after a while some people generate a high enough post count to think that they own the place and they can strut around thinking that th can dowhat they want

you should really put them in their place and show them who runs the forum for real

Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
No one should be given a freebie just because they a long time member. Rules are rules.
Exactly. It doesn't matter if they are a long time member. If they're breaking the rules, you can't give them special treatment.

Heck I remember one forum I used to run. I had a moderator that was with me for 3 years. He started bossing me (The owner/Admin) around on how to run things.

He didn't like the way I did things. So unfortunately I had to ban him.

He broke a rule. (Don't tell mods/admins how to do their jobs) Well he was warned repeatedly. I gave him a chance, but he wouldn't stop smarting off to me, and sending vulgar pms and emails to me.

So out he went. He was 21 at the time and so was I. Then I gave a 14 year old boy the banned(mods) position.

The 14 year old was a much more professional mod and handled things a lot better than the 21 year old mod.

Chad

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management