Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 AM
v7n Mentor

What is the deal with hackers!

I got hacked the other night.

And was left a very pretty landing page...

"We don't do this to be mean, we do this to teach you how vulnerable you are"

Or some such.. But seriously, if you were only trying to teach me a lesson why delete all my files off the server? That's not teaching a lesson that's just being an A hole imo..

I nearly had a breakdown as yes I did have lessons to learn (no backups, i thought a modification was making the backups, I hadn't realised it stopped working in 2011!!!!).

So I was left stranded at 1am in the morning with no website and no files.. Yeah I could of just uploaded a fresh copy but I had lots of custom work done so I needed MY files, whch well 'they were corrput' so he wouldn't give them back to me.

Although I've learned lessons, I still hate um, I think it's uncalled for and I could of quite frankly strangled him that night!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Contact your webhost. Usually web hosts do weekly or daily backups of there servers. They might charge you a fee to get a copy of that backup (might only be mysql backup) if it's possible though. This might be helpful to you but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Yes, creating backups is a big thing for any website owner. As much as we think we would not get hacked or we just to busy running our sites, making sure we prepared for an emergency like this should be in the back of our minds daily.

My web hosts does daily backups and well for the price I'm paying they better!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 AM
v7n Mentor

Yeah I was extremely lucky and contacted my host as a stab in the dark.

And luckily they had a back up from december which was fine as I hadn't made any changes to files since then (luckily the hacker never deleted my mysql databases).

My host restored my back up for me the next day free of charge phew!

I had a vbulletin mod installed that makes automatic backups, I didn't realise though untill I went into the folder that I hadn't been working since 2011!!!!

So my tip is if you have something doing the back ups for you automatically then make sure you check its working regularly lol.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Eh, that stinks the plugin wasn't working. You had all the security measures in place but just not activated.

Make sure you change all your passwords on the forum and ask your members to change there passwords. You can never tell what the hacker or hackers found out.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Are you using a specific CMS? A lot of the PHP software always need to be updated as soon as a new update is released. Same thing with forum software. There are so many exploits that can be done if you are using outdated forum or CMS software.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

I think these types of hackers have somehow managed to lock themselves in a room and lost the key. So they spend the rest of their lives just annoying other people by hacking sites just to put up a silly message. The words; "Get a life" spring to mind.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Closed Thread