Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM

Question Trying to improve forum activity

Good day V7N,

My name's Wayne Drake, or as I'm more commonly known online - Masamune.
... I've been running a gaming website for circa five months now and although we had a steady influx of newbies at first, we are more or less down to 10 core members now, and our recent turnover has been piss-poor (for want of a better word). Most of the people there are old friends or friends of friends, and the few outsiders we do attract don't bother to stick around. It's something I'm not trying to concern myself with but at the same time I'd be lying if it wasn't in the back of my mind.

We've promoted the site to friends & acquaintances, we promote all of our content straight on social media networks, we've posted topical & nostalgic subject matter, casual and thought-provoking, and although I am loath to do it, I have sent cold e-mails inviting people to the site. I have exhausted almost every avenue to raise our profile (I refuse the competition route because from past experience they aren't worth the payoff). Admittedly, I had been hoping to upload more reviews for the site, as I have a somewhat 'controversial' style at times which might turn some heads, but I'm a painfully slow writer.

Am I being impatient and in need of some perspective? After all, it's a saturated marketplace that my site finds itself in and it will arguably take something special to stand out from the crowd. But I'm not asking for the moon of the stick here and would just like to some some progress being made on the activity front. Apart from continuing with the methods already in place and increasing the rate of new content, I'm fast running out of ideas.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Masamune; 03-06-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

You could try writing articles to accompany your forums. I had great success finding writers for these. There is a website.. Something like gamer writers. People willing to write for free on your site. This can be a fresh way to create content and entice people to join the discussion.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Sorry, I should have clarified that we *do* have a homepage that the forums are linked to. I can't provide a link on here but if you view my profile you will find it. Myself and a handful of friends keep it updated with news & reviews. Like I said, we actively promote these articles on social media circles. We also advertise in just about anything possible: signatures on other forums, IM profiles, you name it.

I've also installed some various incentives on the forum, such as an achievement/trophy system that rewards members for their contributions. And I make sure to send an e-mail reminder every few months or so to inactive members inviting them back to the place.

So as you can see, I haven't been sitting on my hands here, but alas we're not making any progress on attracting or sustaining members.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the fold.

Five whole months?

You may want to give it a bit of time. Just because you build it does not mean they will come. If you have something different from everyone else it will gradually take off. If it is just more of the same that has already been done 100K times you may have a long wait.

Getting loyal members to spread the word to their friends and the friends of friends MLM style may help you in the short term.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

I would look into creating more incentives for people to join. If you didn't own it, why would you visit. Just some things to think about.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM

I'd visit for my glittering personality, ofc.

What sort of incentives are we talking about here? As I mentioned previously, we already have a trophy system set up, as well as a promotion structure, both depending on how active our members are. I think what I'm trying to say is whether cheap gimmicks are even the real issue here?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
I'd visit for my glittering personality, ofc.

What sort of incentives are we talking about here? As I mentioned previously, we already have a trophy system set up, as well as a promotion structure, both depending on how active our members are. I think what I'm trying to say is whether cheap gimmicks are even the real issue here?
A fine line separates cheap gimmicks from sales incentives...(Or traffic stimulation)
increased activity...will increase activity...
Old saying "create a buzz"....works..

And again....time...the net is huge and crowded with users...everyone wants a piece of the action and interests vary...
time....

Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

At some point all the advertisement you do won't be helpful because of the content. Have you gotten some feedback on your content? Is the gaming site material even fun? Is it attractive?

You need to get back to basics and consider - does my site have a purpose that will attract people? You can spent millions in ads but if the content isn't high quality or in demand, it isn't worth it.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM

You're right on that score, simplyamazing12. As I already stated in my opening post, it is with regret that I haven't written more content for the site. I have some rather polemic material on the horizon. I don't necessarily believe they will cause the site explode with activity, but as you intimated, we do require more substance to the project.

One of the most frustrating things is that there's similarly themed sites to ourselves which are DEAD but still attracting a higher turnover of newbies (and not all spambots).

Old 04-02-2013, 01:44 PM

I'm pleased to announce that we've bagged some fresh meat from our Twitter feed. Every little helps.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Yes it does! I am in the same position trying to get a forum going and giving it life. I think it will take good time and content creation to achieve this well...

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhal View Post
Yes it does! I am in the same position trying to get a forum going and giving it life. I think it will take good time and content creation to achieve this well...
Just be patient and work hard on getting content that will spark people to reply and use the social media world to attract traffic as well. Ask your followers to LIKE your forums fanpage and share it with there friends.

One thing that I don't like is a new forum with a ton of categories but no content in them. As the forum grow's and there is a need for a new category or a member suggests one, create it if you want that type of category.

Good luck with the forum.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

It seems like you did everything to lure people into your forum, but remember people come to the forums to get information or content that is valuable to them' if they do not find what they are looking for, then there is no need for staying' if you have a forum you don't only work on getting members, you also work to keep them, that's what you need to work on, the content to keep the members coming back for more.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Banned

For these you have to become more aware about the forum, This is good, not so difficult task.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:06 AM

I'm not a gamer so I can't judge the content on your site, but I would recommend doing more to make links to the Forum on your home page more eye-catching. I don't think the link in the menu is enough - Maybe push the Latest Reviews Down and put something there?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 PM

Being a forum owner myself, I would say in the beginning hiring forum posters is a very good idea becoz many new visitors leaves forum immediately if they don't see much activity and hiring forum posters keep forum busy and holds new users as well

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management