Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 PM

Creating a New Forum

HI..am from India...Greetings to all...

I am planning to start a forum based on general topics. So I need some help from on the following points.

1. Is there any free forum software which I can use commercially?
2. Tips on making money from forums
3. Legal obligations /Must do for forum owners.

Thanks in advance.

skumar

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM
v7n Mentor

Lets save you some time and money

a. You wish to start a general forum, thats ok.....but what is going to make your forum different from the other 20,000 general forums and what is going to make people go to yours and interact? If you cant answer this now, then you will fail

b. Give up any thoughts of making money for at least 2 years. If you dont like this......then its not worth proceeding.

c. Theres no real legal obligations other than the ones generally involved with running a website.

Sorry to sound so gloomy but this is the exact truth.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM

Just use Vbuletin to set up the forum, by the way you must knowledge of Information Technology

Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungtroy View Post
Just use Vbuletin to set up the forum, by the way you must knowledge of Information Technology
That's not a free forum software that the OP was asking about. You don't need to know IT to run a forum. The forum software has tons of help guides on what each feature does and how to do things with the options available in your admin panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskuma View Post

I am planning to start a forum based on general topics. So I need some help from on the following points.

Thanks in advance.

skumar
1. You can sign up for free at www.proboards.com for your own message board. You don't pay for web hosting but have to follow there TOS. I used to be a global moderator on there support forum so I do highly recommend them if you want a free remotely hosted message board.

2. You could promote affiliate programs on your forum to earn some money. Just create a sticky thread with some links or edit your forum's template to put up some banners. You maybe limited on revenue options if you use a free forum software. I'd suggest you not go the free forum software path.

3. You the forum owner make up your own forum rules and you need to enforce them no matter what. Even if your friends are breaking them, it's your job as the admin to enforce the rules. People see a forum unmoderated or a soft admin/moderating crew, they will spam your forum and make it a unfriendly place for quality members to join.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

skumar
1. Now, do you want to host on your own and you need free forum software, or you want to use hosted forum.

If you host the forum, you will need to pay for the hosting. If you choose this there is lot of free quality software. You can use Vanilla Forums (I think it's still free) or Simple Machines Forum. I've heard good stuff about MyBB but I didn't use it myself.

When you use hosted forums you delegate hardware and software issues to a third party company. In my opinion the best solution is, as snakeair pointed out, proboards.com. Others are, generally, junk.

2. There are many options, from adsense to affiliate programs. Here are some:

Charge for membership, paid subscriptions. It means you charge people to become a member of your forum. It might be a good idea for bigger forum.

Affiliate programs. It means that you will promote some product, and when your members buy, you take a % of the sale. For this you need to find an affiliate program that is perfect for your members.

Host events. Gamers forums used this. They would host events to play games together and charge for participation.

Advertising. From Adsense to sponsor, you approach advertisers and businesses and sell your ad space.

Online Store For example, sell t-shirts with your forum logo. Or bracelets. Or playing cards. Posters? Anything.

For small forum, I would use affiliate program. If affiliate program is perfect for your members, you could earn good money.

3. I don't quite understand this.

Remember, forum is just a medium. You need to create a community. Place where people talk to other people. Let your focus be on strong relationships between members, not on number of visits or something like that.

Last edited by Marko_V; 06-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

1.- I would recommend you the phpBB3 forum, it's easy to install and manage and it's very powerfull, there a lot of skins and mods (plugins) for that type of forum and it's completely freeware.

2.- The easiest way of making money I've seen is on Adsense, you can put your commercial banners on the forum but I haven't deeply search on how making money so I can't tell you more techniques.

3.- There are some common rules on every forum: respect other users, write usefull content, you can make your own rules or inspire yourself with other forum rules.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Since the above posters have answered your questions pretty thoroughly, my only suggestion would be to choose a specific subject for your forum. It will really help create a community around ONE, focused topic, rather than a bunch of general ones.

I hope that helps. Forums are very difficult to establish and gain a user base.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

skumar
1. phpBB and SMF are your best bets in terms of free software you can find.
2. Ads and membership fees are two great ways to get revenue.
3. Unless you handle some sensitive information like credit card information, legal obligations aren't important.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Free Forum software: PHPBB, SMF & MyBB (I actually love the simpleness of MyBB, however, getting decent plugins can be a monumental task).

I would not recommend using any paid Forum software if it is your first time running a Forum, they can be very expensive if you don't already have a popular website or blog already.

As for making money with Forums, it's easy! However, you need to build the Forum, get the loyal visitors, and for it to really hit the big time before you add advertisements.

Nobody wants to go to a forum with hardly any members or posts, with massive advertisements staring down on them on every page. You need your priority's right when you run a Forum. Members first, then revenue after.

As for your 3rd question. That depends on the website. Usually on a general bulletin board, you are pretty much safe. Make sure you only use FREE plugins unless you are willing to pay for them! Don't go downloading illegal nulled versions of skins or plugins.

With Forums they are hard work! I know it's easy to set them up, make them look beautiful and interesting... But the hardest thing, especially for new forums is getting the members, good SEO doesn't always mean you'll get new registered members on forums. People need a reason to sign up for your forum opposed to signing up to a general forum which has 100,000 members +

That's pretty much it.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM

I'm planning to own a forum site in the future too but I think I can't wait long to have earnings from it. Anyway, maybe when I have enough investment to start my own forum website, I'll go for it.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizzy View Post
I'm planning to own a forum site in the future too but I think I can't wait long to have earnings from it. Anyway, maybe when I have enough investment to start my own forum website, I'll go for it.
Any thoughts on the thread creators opening post?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM

1. If you have hosting with cpanel they have a list there that you can one click and set up a forum for free (besides your hosting fees)

2. Place ads or once/if your forum gets popular make a section for paying members that get special perks. ie: no limit on PM's, larger sig link space, able to post links in a thread, and a number of other little mods that make it an easier place for the user.

3. Don't allow copyrighted content and if you get a DMCA take down notice, make sure to take it down and warn the user not to post stuff like that again...

Good Luck, it is lots of work to start a forum. You will be talking to yourself for quite a while unless you have lots of supporting friends to help you in your venture.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

I hope you got your answers with those above posts, but i have some quick tips on promoting forums.

1. Free forum software - I'd recommend Phpbb, but just because they're free, get ready for plenty of spammers will run to ruining your forum. So, be creative while choosing captcha codes, i would rather recommend always change captchas and moderate strictly.

2. Making Money - With a brand new forum it won't be easy to earn money from it, because forum needs loads of promotion, but once you get 300 sign ups and well establish platform then you can try to put some ads, For small forums i personally suggest PublicityClerks, even i have applied their ads on my webmaster forum and earning a descent amount not that much big but able to pay my hosting bills.

3. Things that forum owners must do that strictly moderate your board, don't give up. Give some time to your forum and get results. Who knows one day you'll able to beat V7N forums.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM

-I think SMF is best option here. Faster than most other free forum platforms and well developed to.

Selling advertising space, getting adwords inbetween posts, selling premium memberships.

You need to have proper T&C - where you indicate that you are not responsible for posts people add. Also keep your forum clean from copyright material etc.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

skumar
1. There are plenty of free PHP forum scripts you can use. PHPBB, SMF, myBB, etc are all freeware. You can Google for even more.

2. Forums need ads once you get more traffic. You need a strong ad campaign to stay afloat.

3. Make sure you don't allow copyrighted material to be posted on the forum. And keep spammers out using captchas.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Banned

You can create free forum the site phpbb site. Making money from forum is also easy.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstyle View Post
You can create free forum the site phpbb site. Making money from forum is also easy.
Can you answer all of the 3 questions the thread creator asked? Try to get into some details.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 AM

hi,

i live in Italy..

can someone advise me a good platform to start my forum in USA?

thanks all

Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM

i accept also in UK of Germany

Old 07-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Have you checked-out vBulletin?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management