Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM

how to get people to become a member?

i have recently started a forum and i was wondering if you guys had any ideas of how i can get people to register. This is the first time ive made a forum.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

If you're willing to spend a little cash, you can go for Facebook advertising, if done right you'll be pretty much guaranteed visitors/members. Check out Fiverr.com to spend as little as $5 to have someone post your site on a whole bunch of social bookmarking sites (or just do that yourself if you're willing to do the work). Also, since its new with no members, ask your friends to sign up and start various topics. No one wants to sign up to a blank canvas so those first dozen members will be your hardest gains but once word spreads then it should pretty much advertise itself. I assume you've gotten your site indexed by Google first?

Out of interest, what's your forum about? If you can do so, you should add the link to your signature on here to help advertise a little and also helps with backlinking

Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 PM

the link is in my signature i really havent decided on the topic just yet like i said im new to this and im just kind of playing it by ear

Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Well I'd suggest you pick a particular market especially when it comes to naming it. Unless you want it as a general all-topic forum

Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Im probly gonna go with general or off topic forum

Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

The way I got some members to join my forum and post is create a few fake accounts and post threads and replies with them.

This way it looks like there's more members on the forum than just yourself. I heard about doing this from Lisa Irbies forum. websitebabble

Before promoting the forum make sure it has plenty of content. No one likes to join a dead empty forum.

Chad

Old 11-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Great, social media can help you to get more registration for your forum as many people get engaged on those sites so you will be able to get good amount of visitors for your website.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Actually, the most successful with multi author or community blog is to provided the member the benefit of participant your forum. Thus, you may need to consider about how the members benefit form your forum. And then write some blog post or forum announcement about those. Spend some money for guest post, sponsored post, and post reviewing. I think that it may give higher benefit then CPC

Old 11-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

Starting a forum is very easy but to get it running is the hardest thing, what I know about forum posters is that they don't need unfunctional forums. You have to find the ways of getting your forum busy by either start by hiring forum posters or ask your friends to post in it, make it busy until it can sustain itself.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSirius View Post
Great, social media can help you to get more registration for your forum as many people get engaged on those sites so you will be able to get good amount of visitors for your website.

I actually found Social Media quite a difficult one to crack. I've launched a couple FB pages and Twitter accounts for various websites I run and found its very hard to start getting the interaction a post needs to get it seen.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:39 AM

You have a paradox here. No one joins an empty forum, but your new forum will always be empty. And, again that's why no one will join it. So you need to take time to fill your forum with questions that people will want to answer. Ask your real life and Facebook friends to come by to contribute to the forum. Start with your friend list and work outward into Facebook groups. Just say that it's a temporary thing. Actually, you might get some long term members this way if the people who visit your forum like what's going on there. Don't just rely on forum members to post new discussions. Get in there and post those for yourself or hire an admin/moderator to do it for you. These are some of the ways to make your site look busy so that outsiders will want to join.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management