Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 12-18-2013, 05:05 AM
iTommy iTommy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 12-10-13
Posts: 233
iTrader: 0 / 0%
How to build a successful forum?

I know to build and managing a forum successfully, need to spent a lot of time and effort and money... I'm looking for ideas how to improve forum and get more members for it. Just putting this question here, hope you can give me thoughts and ideas...

Any shares?
 

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 12-18-2013, 05:31 AM
Webgeninfosystems's Avatar
Webgeninfosystems Webgeninfosystems is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 12-20-12
Location: Bhubaneswar, India
Posts: 366
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Best way to attract new users by advertising in high traffic generating sites. And offer good interesting theme to discuss. By the way, a strong analysis should require to promote a website.
 
  #3  
Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 AM
iTommy iTommy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 12-10-13
Posts: 233
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webgeninfosystems View Post
Best way to attract new users by advertising in high traffic generating sites. And offer good interesting theme to discuss. By the way, a strong analysis should require to promote a website.
That's exact. But do you think that to advertise on high traffic sites, do we need more time and efforts?
 
  #4  
Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM
jamialex873 jamialex873 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 12-19-13
Location: USA
Posts: 28
iTrader: 0 / 0%
you can also do it with SEO.. select keywords to rank like "fashion fourms" for fashion related forums and create high quality backlinks and rank you forum in top on search engines..
 
  #5  
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 AM
zOShelpForums zOShelpForums is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 12-19-13
Posts: 63
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Forums are bit different than sites and the very basic need is to have content on your Forum - nothing beats that. SEO is a way to go for but without content it won't work.
 
  #6  
Old 12-24-2013, 11:05 PM
johnstyle johnstyle is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 12-24-13
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Make your forum free from spamming, if anybody found spamming in your forum then immediately closed account of the person. Because spamming cause the quality to get reduced. So you become aware every time specially from new members of your forum. New member are always do more spamming.
 
  #7  
Old 12-24-2013, 11:07 PM
snakeair snakeair is offline
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
I wouldn't ban every spammer or low quality poster right away. There maybe times when a warning/infraction is all that it takes to reform a member. Don't want to get forum labled as a ban happy admin and moderator staff.

It's a bit tricky moderating a forum these day's. Lot's of trick's people do to spam a company URL or a client's link. Even people creating multiple accounts and the 2nd one promotes URL in same thread.
 
  #8  
Old 12-27-2013, 12:53 AM
johnstyle johnstyle is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 12-24-13
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Advertise your forum on social sites this will help in fast increasing your members of the forum. Also do bookmarking and directory submission for faster popular.
 
  #9  
Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 AM
SentoWeb SentoWeb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 01-07-14
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Social networks are really underestimate, although they are certainly gaining popularity lately. You can easily make use of the giant's user base to promote your website. Since you are developing a forum you can create a facebook page and post very interesting content. Build and entertain your audience in order to develop trust - which will result in popularity and revenue. (although forums are not as profitable as service/product oriented websites, from my experience)
 
  #10  
Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 AM
SSDMySite SSDMySite is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 01-22-14
Posts: 12
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Either try offering something on the forum that no other site/forum may offer and what can it be idk because if I did know then I would start a forum lol. All I can really say is these days if you've got something or something to offer that no other person has or can offer then you've got yourself views , $$$ anything really.

You may also want to make sure you site is very easily accessible by this I mean your layout colors / fonts / links / content make sure all of it stands out in a professional manor.
 
  #11  
Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 AM
ConradGoodman ConradGoodman is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-22-14
Location: Bristol
Posts: 93
iTrader: 0 / 0%
If you are just starting out and only have a few members, you need to keep things very small and scale it out as the community grows.

There is no point in having 30 different discussion sub forums when you only have 3 users.
 
  #12  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Katt's Avatar
Katt Katt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: 12-14-13
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,563
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Lots of good suggestions above, but from someone who has run several forums in the past, and am now trying to build up members on a new one, I can tell the landscape has changed and will share what I've learned this go-round so far:

- Spam - SnakeAir is right that you don't want to be too quick to delete posts or ban people who link to their own stuff in their posts, instead try to educate them and encourage them, they might turn out to be helpful contributing members. On the other hand, be vicious with the pharmaceuticals, handbags, porn, and such. Most of these are done by bots and you should be catching 99% of these during registration, before they've even had a chance to post. If they're getting through your registration process, fix it with a better captcha or other anti-bot measures(be careful that the registration doesn't become too difficult for humans though). Admin approval for the first few posts is a suggestion I've seen thrown around, but I wouldn't dream of it because, while it stops spammers, it also discourages other members who may lose interest in a topic while waiting for their post to be approved.

- Content - The ultimate goal of a forum is for the members to provide most of the content, but when you're starting out this just won't happen. When people arrive at a forum that has no posts, they just move on. Nobody wants to be first. Or even 2nd, 10th or 20th. So get your friends and family into the act. Post relevant articles on a regular basis. Ask relevant questions to get conversations going (and don't leave out your own answer to the question).

- Advertising on the site - Nobody will like a lot of advertising on the site, especially if it's distracting, but established members are a bit more tolerant than new members. Too much advertising is a big turn-off to potential new members. Keep ads to a bare minimum early on. Once you have a robust community, new members will see that the benefits outweigh the minor distraction of a few ads.

If I think of more I'll post back, but now I gotta go work on my forum site!
 
  #13  
Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 AM
FiveWires FiveWires is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 01-20-14
Posts: 23
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I think who wants to create a strong forum must have the following:
-New Idea.
-Unique Content.
-Paid License ( vb,ipb,xf ..etc)
-custom theme.
-advertising budget.
-experienced staff.

But I think creating a successful forums nowadays is not easy.
 
  #14  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 PM
LMD's Avatar
LMD LMD is online now
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: Where my wife tells me to be. :)
Posts: 6,783
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Blatant spammers - electronics, pharma, excessive link drops (usually first post) - ban hammer

C&P/plagiarism - one infraction warning, and then a 30 day time-out on second offense.

Low quality fluff for post count, infraction warning. On subsequent posting for count, membership warning. More fluff after that? - ban hammer.
 
  #15  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 AM
RosieGlover RosieGlover is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 04-02-14
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 286
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstyle View Post
Make your forum free from spamming, if anybody found spamming in your forum then immediately closed account of the person. Because spamming cause the quality to get reduced. So you become aware every time specially from new members of your forum. New member are always do more spamming.
I completely agree with your submissions. It's very important to reduce spamming, if your forum will be free from spam than you can surely attract more visitors.
 
  #16  
Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 AM
megamoose's Avatar
megamoose megamoose is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 06-04-06
Location: Guildford
Posts: 557
iTrader: 2 / 100%
I really like the model of Stack Overflow, which is self moderating. Let your members vote up and down the posts that are the best, and if an entry gets too many flags for spam then the post can be hidden automatically until reviewed.

I guess one issue with this is you need a very active community to make it work effectively.
 
  #17  
Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 PM
iTommy iTommy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 12-10-13
Posts: 233
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt View Post
Lots of good suggestions above, but from someone who has run several forums in the past, and am now trying to build up members on a new one, I can tell the landscape has changed and will share what I've learned this go-round so far:

- Spam - SnakeAir is right that you don't want to be too quick to delete posts or ban people who link to their own stuff in their posts, instead try to educate them and encourage them, they might turn out to be helpful contributing members. On the other hand, be vicious with the pharmaceuticals, handbags, porn, and such. Most of these are done by bots and you should be catching 99% of these during registration, before they've even had a chance to post. If they're getting through your registration process, fix it with a better captcha or other anti-bot measures(be careful that the registration doesn't become too difficult for humans though). Admin approval for the first few posts is a suggestion I've seen thrown around, but I wouldn't dream of it because, while it stops spammers, it also discourages other members who may lose interest in a topic while waiting for their post to be approved.

- Content - The ultimate goal of a forum is for the members to provide most of the content, but when you're starting out this just won't happen. When people arrive at a forum that has no posts, they just move on. Nobody wants to be first. Or even 2nd, 10th or 20th. So get your friends and family into the act. Post relevant articles on a regular basis. Ask relevant questions to get conversations going (and don't leave out your own answer to the question).

- Advertising on the site - Nobody will like a lot of advertising on the site, especially if it's distracting, but established members are a bit more tolerant than new members. Too much advertising is a big turn-off to potential new members. Keep ads to a bare minimum early on. Once you have a robust community, new members will see that the benefits outweigh the minor distraction of a few ads.

If I think of more I'll post back, but now I gotta go work on my forum site!
Good tips, Katt. I agree with your ideas.
I'm applying your second tip for my forum and hoping it will be improved better than now.
 
  #18  
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM
drastic drastic is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-10
Posts: 70
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamoose View Post
I really like the model of Stack Overflow, which is self moderating. Let your members vote up and down the posts that are the best, and if an entry gets too many flags for spam then the post can be hidden automatically until reviewed.

I guess one issue with this is you need a very active community to make it work effectively.
the hardest part is finding that first few users who will invite their friends and get you going.

half the time you've got to make your own user accounts and sit there talking to yourself on them just so your site looks like it has users!
 
  #19  
Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 AM
runbch runbch is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-30-14
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
It is very difficult build a forum from scratch and getting that critical mass of users to sustain activity is the hardest part. I would start off with a website first and maintain a healthy amount of users there before integrating a forum on that site.
 
  #20  
Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 AM
kdaniel171 kdaniel171 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-18-14
Posts: 210
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I read all of the brilliant suggestions here and I say all of them contributed to building a successful forum. Lots of advertising or promoting the forum everywhere can help depending on the expertise level of the promoter/forum poster.
 
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long did it take you to build a successful website krishhhosting Webmaster Revenue 49 03-20-2012 03:37 PM
How to build a successful Bookmarking Site- how to market it? xehhonline Marketing Forum 0 12-01-2010 11:58 PM
How To Build a Successful Business With a Small Audience snakeair Online Business Forum 4 06-07-2010 06:17 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC