Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

No Luck with My Forum

I am running my forum since years but still it is dead. No one is making post on it even I tried my best and used all tricks. I believe most of the people are addicted to social networking websites and very rarely come to forums through search engines, and only read the topics but don't make posts.

The forum title is Afghanistan Forums but users can discuss anything that fits certain categories. The forum is in English and majority of Afghans could read and understand English. At the beginning I had couple of authors but they stopped posting since Facebook is common in Afghanistan.

Any tips to motivate me to continue working on my forum?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 06:23 AM

Forums are hard to get going. Nobody wants to be the first, or even the hundredth, to post. Without knowing what your categories are I cannot offer more specific tips, but have you tried :

- Get family and friends to post (they should be posts relevant to the forum)
- Post interesting articles or stories and ask for feedback
- Have a feedback or suggestions topic - ask members what they want to see on the forum
- Post open-ended questions, and be sure to post your own answer
- Try adding some fun - a funny pictures topic, or a jokes topic
- Start a contest - the prize should be something people really want
- Add a game - I've seen add-ons for various forum software for dice games, card games, and trivia
- Make sure the forum isn't making it hard or confusing for members to make that first post

Old 03-22-2014, 01:11 AM
Contributing Member

I haven't try asking my friends to post and get engage with me. I paid once a person to post on my forum but it didn't help.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Banned

I think you should hire a team of professionals for posting.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlyly View Post
One of my friend is doing the same and he is getting good results but its too much costly

Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlyly View Post
Fine, they will post until they are paid and will stop after that. Again my forum will be dead. Is there anyway to keep my forum busy?

Old 03-30-2014, 01:17 PM

Forums are hard to run and need patience, hard work and investment. Also running a forum alone is not a wise idea, you will need other persons to help you moderate the forum and market it.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostNurse View Post
Forums are hard to run and need patience, hard work and investment. Also running a forum alone is not a wise idea, you will need other persons to help you moderate the forum and market it.
I think I need couple of friends and family members to focus on content of the forum at this stage not the marketing. I really don't need moderators who just check that what is going on in the forum but people who make real topics.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:43 PM
v7n Mentor

Your forum needs to be unique, different, it must have something that is only found on your forum and that is why people come.

Please tell us 3 reasons that make your forum different from the many other thousands of forums. Tell us why visitors need to go to your forum rather than any other forum.

This will allow us to help you greatly

Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Your forum needs to be unique, different, it must have something that is only found on your forum and that is why people come.

Please tell us 3 reasons that make your forum different from the many other thousands of forums. Tell us why visitors need to go to your forum rather than any other forum.

This will allow us to help you greatly
I have only one ultimate reason. The Forum is for Afghans.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 PM
v7n Mentor

Well my friend, you need to find something that you have, but the rest dont and make it available to people that become members and participate.

What that is i dont know........ But i do know it is the secret to success

Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

Some good advice shared already, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranum View Post
Any tips to motivate me to continue working on my forum?
... if you're not motivated then, ya. Here a couple of questions to ask yourself.
What was your motivation to start it?
What was or is the end game?
Has that changed?
I don't have a lot of experience with running forums [communities] but the one key thing I picked up along the way, if I could sum up, is intent.

If the intent isn't there, that is to say - if nothing is intentional and is only reactive [someone else does something then you react as opposed to you doing something intentionally] and if your goals aren't clearly defined [you've intentionally predefined this path to X] or your short/long term plan for growth, marketing, conversion of guest to member [you have to accomplish X before Y can happen] then it's all a shot in the dark.

You can't technically grow something from nothing. You have to finesse it, feed it, nurture it. And all that requires some level of motivation.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

I have participated in lots of forums, never tried opening my own forum; though the idea does intrigue me.

In my opinion, a forum is only as good the management, other than that, I have also noticed that niche forums, those which are dedicated to a certain topic, seem to perform better than general, no-specific, forums.

I hope this helps!

BiologyWebmaster

Old 04-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member

Why I started this forum? It was good niche to target as there were very few (two or three) forums that targeted Afghanistan.

What was the goal? To share Afghanistan related content, Discuss Afghanistan related issues.

It was going very well at beginning but since the Facebook is common in Afghanistan the users don't visit forums.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:23 AM
v7n Mentor

Like any website, you have to think why people would want to firstly visit your forum, and secondly why they would want to post.

A good way to think about starting a forum, is a bit like how you would start a blog. You need to attract people to your website, and to do this you need to have some interesting, engaging and informative content.

Get on that forum yourself, and start writing posts. Write about the latest news in Afghanistan. What are the media/tv/newpapers saying over there? What are you personal opinions on these topics.

You need to write good quality content yourself. It's not always the quantity that will bring in the members but the quality. Get on social media websites like Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter and gather a following of people with the same tastes/likes/interests as yourself. Implement social media widgets above your posts, so people (and yourself) can start sharing with their friends.

If you write a detailed "blog" post on your forum, share it yourself via these social media channels. You'll end up getting one or two visitors who register just to comment on something you said, and in turn they may even post a topic themselves.

Just keep remembering there has to be a reason people come to your forum in the first place, and that reason isn't necessarily because there are hundreds of users on there. It's simply because there is some content they find interesting, want to know about or want to talk about.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

I think Local SEO is helpful for you. But You need proper guidance for that. No one can guide at this forum at once. You should research and read some good SEO articles.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Forums are indeed hard to get going. It can take many years to get a forum to go from dead to active. But it won't become active if you don't start discussions yourself and add to the topics constantly.

Do what I did. Create some user accounts and post different topics and reply to threads that way it looks like someone else is chatting besides yourself.

I did this when I started my forum and it's worked so far in getting some real users.

My webmaster forum has been online for a little over 2 years now and it's starting to see some life.

Stick with it and in time I'm sure yours will become active. I'm still working on ways to get more traffic to mine and slowly but surely people are coming and signing up and posting.

Chad

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed_Mohsin View Post
One of my friend is doing the same and he is getting good results but its too much costly
How much does this service cost?

Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astala View Post
How much does this service cost?
I wouldn't bother with such services, fake and/or paid posting can be easily seen by most people and it doesn't look good.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
I wouldn't bother with such services, fake and/or paid posting can be easily seen by most people and it doesn't look good.
You are just discouraging him but anyones that any forum can easily stand on it feet after going through paid posters.
Posters want busy forums and the only way to make a forum busy by posting in it. Try to here people on fiver to post in it maybe eventually you will succeed.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Closed Thread