Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

How to Migrate

I have been using mybb forum but I want to migrate to phpbb forum, anyone with tips on how to do it?
Thanks.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 07:23 AM

I don't know much about mybb but I know phpbb very well, and I know the two are VERY different. This migration is going to be nearly impossible without a tool or script.

There is a paid tool that will do it for you. It will let you do a demo (trial) conversion first to see that it will work well, then if you like what you see you can pay for a final conversion : http://www.cms2cms.com/supported-cms...pbb-migration/

Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt View Post
I don't know much about mybb but I know phpbb very well, and I know the two are VERY different. This migration is going to be nearly impossible without a tool or script.

There is a paid tool that will do it for you. It will let you do a demo (trial) conversion first to see that it will work well, then if you like what you see you can pay for a final conversion : http://www.cms2cms.com/supported-cms...pbb-migration/
This. I went just the opposite (phpbb to mybb) and it was a nightmare; It was a lot faster to redo things manually... MyBB is actually a lot better anyway - PHPBB is so insecure, not nearly as many addons/features, and a lot less intuitive overall. Why anyone would want to leave MyBB - *especially* for phpbb - is beyond me...

Oh, and don't get me started on the spambots (which goes back to the security) - everyday I had a new round of spambots to delete in phpbb; under mybb, I haven't had more than a dozen total since opening my site.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGCustoms View Post
This. I went just the opposite (phpbb to mybb) and it was a nightmare; It was a lot faster to redo things manually... MyBB is actually a lot better anyway - PHPBB is so insecure, not nearly as many addons/features, and a lot less intuitive overall. Why anyone would want to leave MyBB - *especially* for phpbb - is beyond me...

Oh, and don't get me started on the spambots (which goes back to the security) - everyday I had a new round of spambots to delete in phpbb; under mybb, I haven't had more than a dozen total since opening my site.
We might be having different experience in both forum software, I have used phpbb for years now and I have never had any problem with it and recently I have installed mybb even though I found it easy in terms of managing it and customizing but it has a very big problem. it get errors when you log in and try to reply or create new thread even though that problem eventually got solved but it is the experience I have never had with phpbb that is why I want to migrate.
I thought there can be a way where I can do it manually without using a tool.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astala View Post
What host are you with?
They must help you out.
I don't know any web hosts that will migrate someones forum to another forum software. They only migrate from 1 host to another web host.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I don't know any web hosts that will migrate someones forum to another forum software. They only migrate from 1 host to another web host.
Agreed. Some hosts might help for an extra (high) fee.

The forum at phpbb.com might offer some help, but this is pretty hit and miss.

And as far as spambots on phpbb - I have a lot that hit my forum, but NONE get in. phpbb doesn't offer much protection without adding something to stop spambots - and the built-in captchas were cracked by bots a long time ago. I added a good Q&A to the registration and have had zero spam registrations.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management