Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 03-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Discourse Forum Software - What's your Take on This?

Has anyone ever heard of the Discourse forum software before?

This is a new type of forum software that has not been around to long and has come a long when since the initial release. I belong to a webmaster forum using this software for 1 year now and come to love it.

Not like any other forum software but it can be used for support forum for products/plugins you create or even any type of forum. No way right now to monetize it to earn money from the forum except ad sticky threads with your affiliate links.

This is why I mentioned to use it as a support forum or some sorts because there is costs to hosting this software in the right environment and all product owners/business owners need some type of way in helping there clients whether its on a forum or email which can take longer to get help.

Anyone got anything to say about this software and what is the best way to use it to communicate with your clients, customers...etc

The webmaster forum I belong to, the owner makes a living from home so he doesn't mind not being able to earn money from his forum, it's there to help people out just like V7N.

Last edited by snakeair; 03-06-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 04:29 PM

Thank You Snakeair for creating this topic. You saved my life because this is the actually the forum software that has all the features that I ever wanted!!!

So you may have to pay about $100 for this forum software if you host with Discourse but it's worth every penny if you are a business owner or working from home and want a discussion board for support purpose's or even a niche forum.

I'll post screenshots of how this looks on a forum I post on. FYI, My name is Derek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theme1.png
Views:	64
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	18538   Click image for larger version

Name:	theme2.png
Views:	496
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	18539   Click image for larger version

Name:	theme3.png
Views:	61
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	18540   Click image for larger version

Name:	theme4.png
Views:	62
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	18541   Click image for larger version

Name:	theme5.png
Views:	81
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	18542  

Old 05-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

I personally never heard of it. If I were you, I'd stick with WordPress b/c there's thousands of free plugins that outweigh using foreign forum software. Just an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Thank You Snakeair for creating this topic. You saved my life because this is the actually the forum software that has all the features that I ever wanted!!!

So you may have to pay about $100 for this forum software if you host with Discourse but it's worth every penny if you are a business owner or working from home and want a discussion board for support purpose's or even a niche forum.

I'll post screenshots of how this looks on a forum I post on. FYI, My name is Derek.
Do you have a plan for a niche based site or will this be an online community for everyone to talk about any and everything?

Old 05-01-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNN View Post
I personally never heard of it. If I were you, I'd stick with WordPress b/c there's thousands of free plugins that outweigh using foreign forum software. Just an opinion.

Do you have a plan for a niche based site or will this be an online community for everyone to talk about any and everything?
I think I may of worded my replies wrong. That is not my forum nor do I want to create another one again. I did create one back in 2000 on a different forum software, I mentioned this on my blog's about me page.

I have been using the new forum software above for 1 year now (as a forum member) and I sorta like it because it's completely different. Although I would not suggest it to large webmaster forums. Not to mention it's very very hard to monetize and a bit confusing.

What I am saying is that, this type of forum software could be for plugin authors, product owners, business owners to use to communicate with there clients or do support. Google for the history of how this forum software was created...errr it's life story.

FYI, Sitepoint uses them as well. The one I belong to is a niche forum for wordpress admins.
Code:
https://www.sitepoint.com/community
Besides If I started a new forum, I'd use xenforo with a custom theme.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management