Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

More people post their entire life on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram thus have far less time for everything else these days.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM

People now a days use forum for their advantage like getting a backlink,not with purpose of helping others this is main reason. You may not agree it is just my view.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam frodo View Post
People now a days use forum for their advantage like getting a backlink,not with purpose of helping others this is main reason. You may not agree it is just my view.
I see it every day - here and other sites, where new members (actually paid posters) do all they can (posting junk and one-liners) to get their signature enabled.

What they don't know (or maybe the do and don't care because they're paid to post on forums to get signature links enabled), is that any and all links accumulated here (and similar sites) don't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. But, they continue to tell everyone they are an SEO and dupe more customers into paying them to get (what they don't know are) low-level backlinks.

One new member stopped his post run today when the mods removed his signature that he was posting so hard to enable. Which clearly indicates it was the only reason he joined the forum.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Ya mean like you just did to increase your post count.
Oh no! They're on to me!

D'OH - I just did it again!!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Most people in most forums have post count at least somewhere at the back of their minds. It would be impossible to stop it. Rather it would be better to encourage people to make quality posts while they're at it.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Most people in most forums have post count at least somewhere at the back of their minds. It would be impossible to stop it. Rather it would be better to encourage people to make quality posts while they're at it.
Hmm, this makes complete sense. Having a "quality" score would be a good forum feature. Something calculated by the system.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Rather it would be better to encourage people to make quality posts while they're at it.
I've seen it tried here, and on another forum, we tried to encourage them to make better posts too. But, paid posters usually know little to nothing about the subjects at hand and are scrambling to show the people they're swindling money from, they are getting the suckers backlinks.

The idea is to hit as many forums as you can, make as many posts as you can to get sigs enabled. I can't say how many succeed, but as current ones are banned, unless you ban the IPs too, they just reregister, and the cycle starts again.

Those that are trying to get links for themselves are also in that category, but not as blind to directions given to them from Mods/Admins.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:42 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPunter View Post
I was having a look around at the Alexa data for large forums in many different industries and have saw a massive decline.

Some of the time I understand the conversation may be taken to social media however websites like V7N, should only have kept growing.

What happen?
In regards to your question, personally I believe it has to do with the rise of mobile devices and apps taking a huge part of a user's time. An individual has only so much time on there hands and with the rise of SmartPhones and Apps, people can only give so much time to certain things. Social Media has changed how people generally interact with each other, therefore less time for forums. Also, just as someone already mentioned, I think we live in an era where people are very, very impatient and want an answer right away and that usually means being driven towards a social channel that is a lot quicker.

Lastly, as I mentioned briefly at the outset, mobile devices have just taken time out of what a person can really do in a 24 hour period. Mobile devices have made a lot of things quicker, however they can also make work much more stressful by creating the expectation that all employees will be available at almost any hour of the day or night. In other words, your job or boss just continues to contact for work related things and therefore you are on call almost all the time and just have less time for other things.....like community forums.

Life nowadays is just plain busy and you don't just have time for everything.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
I've seen it tried here, and on another forum, we tried to encourage them to make better posts too. But, paid posters usually know little to nothing about the subjects at hand and are scrambling to show the people they're swindling money from, they are getting the suckers backlinks.

The idea is to hit as many forums as you can, make as many posts as you can to get sigs enabled. I can't say how many succeed, but as current ones are banned, unless you ban the IPs too, they just reregister, and the cycle starts again.

Those that are trying to get links for themselves are also in that category, but not as blind to directions given to them from Mods/Admins.
I was in fact referring to people trying to get links for themselves. Paid posters (and their IPs) definitely need to be banned. They'll just keep trying again and again so there's no other way out.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 PM

forums are still relevant today.however the so called social media is just a piece of mere interesting platform where people get distracted by the content like pictures videos, don't get me wrong it's helpful but its more of an entertainment than an in-depth information discussions.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhviet View Post
forums are still relevant today.however the so called social media is just a piece of mere interesting platform where people get distracted by the content like pictures videos, don't get me wrong it's helpful but its more of an entertainment than an in-depth information discussions.
The topic is about forums and their use or decline. You say they are relevant. At least on the tech side, I see a tonne of spam, and, some of the greatest contributors have left the building - because of the spam.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

People are mostly about consuming not contributing, or rather not contributing something of value beyond pix of what they are currently eating. I have to figure reddit and social media are the biggest reasons. It's just an evolution of things. Forums require more work and time for responses in a generation that wants instant gratification from funny gif posts.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management