Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2017, 09:24 AM
webgeek247's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 03-03-17
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 101
iTrader: 0 / 0%
More people post their entire life on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram thus have far less time for everything else these days.
__________________
Web Hosting - Professional Hosting Solutions
Web Hosting Forum - Web Hosting Community
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 08-12-17
Posts: 26
iTrader: 0 / 0%
People now a days use forum for their advantage like getting a backlink,not with purpose of helping others this is main reason. You may not agree it is just my view.
 
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 PM
LMD's Avatar
LMD LMD is online now
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: Where my wife tells me to be. :)
Posts: 5,152
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam frodo View Post
People now a days use forum for their advantage like getting a backlink,not with purpose of helping others this is main reason. You may not agree it is just my view.
I see it every day - here and other sites, where new members (actually paid posters) do all they can (posting junk and one-liners) to get their signature enabled.

What they don't know (or maybe the do and don't care because they're paid to post on forums to get signature links enabled), is that any and all links accumulated here (and similar sites) don't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. But, they continue to tell everyone they are an SEO and dupe more customers into paying them to get (what they don't know are) low-level backlinks.

One new member stopped his post run today when the mods removed his signature that he was posting so hard to enable. Which clearly indicates it was the only reason he joined the forum.
__________________
SEO Friendly Responsive Web Design in Stouffville / Markham
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region
 
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2017, 03:08 PM
LMD's Avatar
LMD LMD is online now
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: Where my wife tells me to be. :)
Posts: 5,152
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Ya mean like you just did to increase your post count.
Oh no! They're on to me!

D'OH - I just did it again!!
__________________
SEO Friendly Responsive Web Design in Stouffville / Markham
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region
 
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-02-16
Posts: 1,022
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Most people in most forums have post count at least somewhere at the back of their minds. It would be impossible to stop it. Rather it would be better to encourage people to make quality posts while they're at it.
__________________
Disclaimer: I do not endorse Artist management companies in Mumbai or Top Wedding Planners in Mumbai. I am just helping a friend.
 
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 04-10-17
Posts: 59
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Most people in most forums have post count at least somewhere at the back of their minds. It would be impossible to stop it. Rather it would be better to encourage people to make quality posts while they're at it.
Hmm, this makes complete sense. Having a "quality" score would be a good forum feature. Something calculated by the system.
 
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM
LMD's Avatar
LMD LMD is online now
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: Where my wife tells me to be. :)
Posts: 5,152
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Rather it would be better to encourage people to make quality posts while they're at it.
I've seen it tried here, and on another forum, we tried to encourage them to make better posts too. But, paid posters usually know little to nothing about the subjects at hand and are scrambling to show the people they're swindling money from, they are getting the suckers backlinks.

The idea is to hit as many forums as you can, make as many posts as you can to get sigs enabled. I can't say how many succeed, but as current ones are banned, unless you ban the IPs too, they just reregister, and the cycle starts again.

Those that are trying to get links for themselves are also in that category, but not as blind to directions given to them from Mods/Admins.
__________________
SEO Friendly Responsive Web Design in Stouffville / Markham
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region
 
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Registernuke's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 02-25-13
Location: Some Where in Arizona
Posts: 1,010
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPunter View Post
I was having a look around at the Alexa data for large forums in many different industries and have saw a massive decline.

Some of the time I understand the conversation may be taken to social media however websites like V7N, should only have kept growing.

What happen?
In regards to your question, personally I believe it has to do with the rise of mobile devices and apps taking a huge part of a user's time. An individual has only so much time on there hands and with the rise of SmartPhones and Apps, people can only give so much time to certain things. Social Media has changed how people generally interact with each other, therefore less time for forums. Also, just as someone already mentioned, I think we live in an era where people are very, very impatient and want an answer right away and that usually means being driven towards a social channel that is a lot quicker.

Lastly, as I mentioned briefly at the outset, mobile devices have just taken time out of what a person can really do in a 24 hour period. Mobile devices have made a lot of things quicker, however they can also make work much more stressful by creating the expectation that all employees will be available at almost any hour of the day or night. In other words, your job or boss just continues to contact for work related things and therefore you are on call almost all the time and just have less time for other things.....like community forums.

Life nowadays is just plain busy and you don't just have time for everything.
__________________
Get your very own website builder online with no prior website design experience.
Check us out if you are looking to register domain names at low prices with technical support available 24/7.
 
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-02-16
Posts: 1,022
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
I've seen it tried here, and on another forum, we tried to encourage them to make better posts too. But, paid posters usually know little to nothing about the subjects at hand and are scrambling to show the people they're swindling money from, they are getting the suckers backlinks.

The idea is to hit as many forums as you can, make as many posts as you can to get sigs enabled. I can't say how many succeed, but as current ones are banned, unless you ban the IPs too, they just reregister, and the cycle starts again.

Those that are trying to get links for themselves are also in that category, but not as blind to directions given to them from Mods/Admins.
I was in fact referring to people trying to get links for themselves. Paid posters (and their IPs) definitely need to be banned. They'll just keep trying again and again so there's no other way out.
__________________
Disclaimer: I do not endorse Artist management companies in Mumbai or Top Wedding Planners in Mumbai. I am just helping a friend.
 
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2017, 12:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 08-10-17
Location: Ho chi minh city
Posts: 21
iTrader: 0 / 0%
forums are still relevant today.however the so called social media is just a piece of mere interesting platform where people get distracted by the content like pictures videos, don't get me wrong it's helpful but its more of an entertainment than an in-depth information discussions.
 
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 AM
LMD's Avatar
LMD LMD is online now
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: Where my wife tells me to be. :)
Posts: 5,152
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhviet View Post
forums are still relevant today.however the so called social media is just a piece of mere interesting platform where people get distracted by the content like pictures videos, don't get me wrong it's helpful but its more of an entertainment than an in-depth information discussions.
The topic is about forums and their use or decline. You say they are relevant. At least on the tech side, I see a tonne of spam, and, some of the greatest contributors have left the building - because of the spam.
__________________
SEO Friendly Responsive Web Design in Stouffville / Markham
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region
 
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 PM
tyler00's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 08-05-17
Posts: 57
iTrader: 0 / 0%
People are mostly about consuming not contributing, or rather not contributing something of value beyond pix of what they are currently eating. I have to figure reddit and social media are the biggest reasons. It's just an evolution of things. Forums require more work and time for responses in a generation that wants instant gratification from funny gif posts.
 
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 03:39 PM
imadam's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: guildford
Posts: 346
iTrader: 0 / 0%
an interesting post on this forum! well i'll be damned. i agree forums are declining. another site i use often ocuk, the forums are the best i've ever come across, i can't remember the last time i saw spam, and the replies are full of knowledge, but even those forums don't get the same amount of posts as they used to.

this forum i find the trouble is, as others have said, so many spammers. i read a thread, almost surely i will see a few spammers in most threads i read on here. if i post a thread asking for genuine advice, i have low expectations to get a useful reply.

i like these forums, i hope they get better, but with the decline of users, and increase in spam it's to see that happening.

another thing i notice on here is the amount of basically rss threads we get. so many big posters on here make a thread, copy a paragraph from an anrticle, post a link and then say "what do you think?" personally that sort of thing stinks. i think if someone is making a thread, they shouldn't be allowed to just post a copy from the article, link and pretty much run, and then often moan about the spammy replies to their spammy threads.

e.g.
http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...over-them.html

first post has nothing from the user. someone then posts some spam reply to get the post count up. the first user then eventually posts some feedback, but that should be at the start to create a conversation. i don't think a thread should be made to just link to an article.

Last edited by imadam; 09-29-2017 at 03:45 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Woomeister's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 11-10-16
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 1,250
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The reason I don't frequent this forum hardly any more is that it is just full of junk threads and moderation of spam is very poor (sorry mods but it is). Absolute nonsense is peddled as fact and the same questions are asked over and over again. Inane questions with links are posted by certain members to absolute rubbish articles with what agenda??? Lets be honest this forum is just a link farm being used by the top down to the bottom. This is happening across many forums not just here, but to be honest it's worse here than many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadam View Post

another thing i notice on here is the amount of basically rss threads we get. so many big posters on here make a thread, copy a paragraph from an anrticle, post a link and then say "what do you think?" personally that sort of thing stinks. i think if someone is making a thread, they shouldn't be allowed to just post a copy from the article, link and pretty much run, and then often moan about the spammy replies to their spammy threads.

e.g.
http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...over-them.html

first post has nothing from the user. someone then posts some spam reply to get the post count up. the first user then eventually posts some feedback, but that should be at the start to create a conversation. i don't think a thread should be made to just link to an article.
Spot on! I even asked an op their opinion and got told they were just putting info out there. BS. No opinion of their own, but another crappy link though!
 
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2017, 09:00 PM
HTMLBasicTutor's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: 10-29-07
Location: Canada
Posts: 25,944
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woomeister View Post
Lets be honest this forum is just a link farm being used by the top down to the bottom.
Well speed posting for backlinks from their signature doesn't help them.

And with due respect,
How many of you that have replied to this thread and are complaining report low quality replies? Moderators are volunteers. They cannot be here 24/7 however if there are reports that does help upon their return.

Our moto is "friendliest webmaster forum" so yes we probably are a bit more lenient.

If you guys want more posts required to:
  • Provide links to useful information from reliable sources to back up your replies.
  • Earn your signature.
  • Limits on the number of posts per day up to a certain point.
Just PM me and I will forward the community's wishes to the tech dept. but remember that your wish will create more spam to earn the privileges mentioned above.

You can all out bad information nicely and provide proof that the information is bad instead of being nasty then those reading will learn from the information given and decide for themselves who knows what they are talking about.
__________________

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.
 
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2017, 02:37 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 09-30-17
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Maybe forums looks are ugly.
 
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2017, 03:43 AM
Woomeister's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 11-10-16
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 1,250
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Well speed posting for backlinks from their signature doesn't help them.

And with due respect,
How many of you that have replied to this thread and are complaining report low quality replies? Moderators are volunteers. They cannot be here 24/7 however if there are reports that does help upon their return.

Our moto is "friendliest webmaster forum" so yes we probably are a bit more lenient.

If you guys want more posts required to:
  • Provide links to useful information from reliable sources to back up your replies.
  • Earn your signature.
  • Limits on the number of posts per day up to a certain point.
Just PM me and I will forward the community's wishes to the tech dept. but remember that your wish will create more spam to earn the privileges mentioned above.

You can all out bad information nicely and provide proof that the information is bad instead of being nasty then those reading will learn from the information given and decide for themselves who knows what they are talking about.
Being nasty? Im sorry but some of the most 'nasty' comments I've seen have come from your good self. Very cutting at times, so pot, kettle comes to mind. Consistency is what the forum needs, and the old 'volunteer' line is null and void. Somebody has an interest in the forum working properly and that somebody obviously only cares about post count etc. The trust flow of this site is so low now that even google knows whats going on. I spent many months trying to add value for the community and in the end I realised it was a fruitless and repetitive task. I think the only way you get rid of the spammers is to add no follow to all links. But that wouldn't be in the interest of certain people would it?
 
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2017, 01:38 PM
imadam's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: guildford
Posts: 346
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woomeister View Post
I think the only way you get rid of the spammers is to add no follow to all links. But that wouldn't be in the interest of certain people would it?
B I N G O
 
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2017, 01:59 AM
X_Gen's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 10-24-12
Posts: 323
iTrader: 0 / 0%
because people just want to create backlinks to their site and not actually participate in the discussions.
__________________
Learn sensible stuffs about graphic printing on banners, stickers, decals, signs and custom displays: Check here.
Watch this collection of graphic displays rolling on videos.
 
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2017, 04:18 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-29-17
Location: Pakistan
Posts: 40
iTrader: 0 / 0%
yeah only high ranking forums can gain more through social media ? forum dying big reason to choose a most common topic on which already big forums are being run

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjo View Post
Maybe forums looks are ugly.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam frodo View Post
People now a days use forum for their advantage like getting a backlink,not with purpose of helping others this is main reason. You may not agree it is just my view.
lmao you are right 90%, but on xda forums i saw people helps each other as well regarding android issues, by the way you are right why would a person spend time on forums just for nothing.

there is give and take, for a backlink purpose people works on forum
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Can I Download V7n Forums Android app. zafaryaqoob V7N Forum Support 2 06-11-2017 05:37 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Escalate Media




Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.