Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

The FarmVille Craze

Quote:
"Since its emergence in June 2009, Farmville became the most talked-about application in status updates and now boasts over 72 million monthly active users," Lars Backstrom, a data scientist at Facebook, wrote in a blog post. PCMAG.com
What is it about FarmVille that has made it such a popular game?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

LOL...I have to admit that I thought FarmVille sounded kind of stupid and boring. I had a few friends that were talking about it a good bit. Needless to say (if you know people who play FV you've experienced this) they were also trying to talk me into starting so they could get another neighbor.

I decided to give it a try and I'm afraid I'm hooked! I've been taken by the FV monster addiction. I have the biggest farm you can get (right now) and compete with friends to have 1st place among us in levels, in ribbons, and in other ways.

As a gamer and a software developer, I have to say that FV is one of the most elegant and effective software designs I have seen. It is extremely effective at what it was designed for and that is to bring people in and then have them bring in more people. It's designed for social networking and it is very well designed.

It has a clean simple interface. It can be played for quite a while in one setting or can be effectively and enjoyably played in short increments of just a few minutes. The game can be played with very few friends (neighbors) but gets much easier and allows faster progress with lots of neighbors.

Updates with unique and interesting items to plant, buy, decorate, etc are constant so there is alway new stuff. They regularly add new ribbons to strive for and compete to be the first one to get all 4 levels of a ribbon.

They have even done a good job of monitizing the game by internet standards. You never HAVE to pay anything but the opportunity is there. If they convert half of a percent of their regular players then they are making millions (and probably 10's of millions over a year).

For such a simple, and appearently "boring" concept, they have done an extraordinary job of turning it into a major success. If you don't want to get addicted, DON'T START! If you don't have many friends, this game will be boring. If you don't have lots of friends but do have some, it may well spur you to reconnect with old friends and find new friends. It is the best social networking game (and promotion) software out there IMHO.

Get Farming!!! And neighbor me if you do!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I have a funny feeling my crops would rot in the field and all my animals would be starving.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:05 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I am an active player in farmville its simple game but its fun to play it actually. At first I dont like it but after plowing, farming and planting stuff and building my own farmville I got hooked in the farmville craze

Old 12-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well, I owned a real farm for 28 years ... I may give this a try.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I haven't try to play Farmville in Facebook because I really don't know how to play that game. According to my sister, Farmville is a Facebook version of Harvest Moon in PS1, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo 64. I'm not sure if Harvest Moon is also popular farm simulation game. By the way, If I'm choosing between those two, I'll choose to play Harvest Moon because it is easy to play for me than Farmville.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 PM
v7n Mentor

I don't really know what's keeping me play it. But it's fun when you see your farm grow and your friends send you gifts, you buy houses, barns, and design your own farm. A simple way of showing your creativity as well in terms of setting your desired farm setup. With regards to the animals starving, they don't starve. If they starve, that would be a more exciting I think.

Madaam Kristeejo is my neighbor in Farmville.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeruel View Post
I don't really know what's keeping me play it. But it's fun when you see your farm grow and your friends send you gifts, you buy houses, barns, and design your own farm. A simple way of showing your creativity as well in terms of setting your desired farm setup. With regards to the animals starving, they don't starve. If they starve, that would be a more exciting I think.

Madaam Kristeejo is my neighbor in Farmville.
I also experienced how you feel especially when you go online you will get a new friend without problems at the same time you can showcase your creativity with your own farm and it is really fun playing a lot of times. At the same time my friends get to visit my site most of the time so I gain traffic from them

Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

People are crazy for it. But i think travian game is similar to it.
I have never played farmvilla but my facebook requests are full of it.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Not quite sure what the deal is with this farmville, but my crops always wilt and ..ooh i better go check on my chickens I got about a week ago!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristysKnots View Post
Not quite sure what the deal is with this farmville, but my crops always wilt and ..ooh i better go check on my chickens I got about a week ago!!!
See that would be me, cept my chickens would be frying in a pan somewhere!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
See that would be me, cept my chickens would be frying in a pan somewhere!
that is too funny!! made me laugh out loud and woke my hubby up!! lol

Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

haahahha.... i'm hooked in this game.... i have my own goal.... i have to reach or catch the level of my neighbor....

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I play this game coz I want to know why Farmville can be the best game......but suddenly I become addicted.....4 hours...day & night I got the spirit to harvest my strawberry.....

but now...I just visit my farm...maybe once in a week.....

Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Well guys to share my thoughts even i am a great fan of farmville but to be frank i need to come out of it because it really a waste of time in actual life we can do farming and earn real good money ..what say?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 AM

i think the people who r playin farmville are crazy there is nothin to do within it only put this here and there i was also plugged in by my friend and it was such a crap facebook is flooded with people playing farmville they should dedicate their time in doing some sensible work.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

haha its really craze... these days i'm back home quickly, not because my parents worry but i worry my crops in farmville being withered if i won't harvest on time.. haahaha

Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj kumar goel View Post
i think the people who r playin farmville are crazy there is nothin to do within it only put this here and there i was also plugged in by my friend and it was such a crap facebook is flooded with people playing farmville they should dedicate their time in doing some sensible work.
Lol so you think were crazy because we play this game ....???

Actually farmville its not just game it is where you can show your creativity by making your farm more presentable at the same time I like this game because I get to meet a lot of friends

Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am not quite sure why people are so crazed about farmville. I receive tons of farmville requests and gifts till date.

Well facebook games are really addicting and farmville happens to be one of those with more graphics rather than other text based games where you just click on buttons. But farmville shows all those farm animals, crops etc. May be people like those stuffs and once they are addicted they cannot get out and they need neighbors so they get others addicted as well.

But I have played farmville only twice and never got addicted to that game. But I did however play Mafia Wars in facebook for a long long time until I realized that I was wasting too much time in that game. I quit when I reached level 200.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 AM
Banned

I dont play farmville. Is it great to play?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum