Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-23-2009, 05:49 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Closet Gamers?

Meet the Secret Gamers
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...ffset=0&page=1

Quote:
Will (not his real name, for obvious reasons) is 48 years old and a district judge at a county court in England. He worked as a barrister for almost 15 years before he was appointed, has a wife and two kids and a hefty mortgage. He is also a hardcore computer gamer, spending hundreds of pounds a year on new titles. It is people like Will who are propelling the gaming business to the top of the world entertainment league.
Gamer Shame: Or Why I Was a Closet Gamer
http://www.womengamers.com/articles/...s/gamer-shame/

Quote:
But wait, there’s another professional woman flipping through Cosmo. There’s a man in a suit looking through some computer magazine. How can I grab something meant for pre-pubescent boys in front of my fellow professionals? Like a furtive man grabbing a Playboy, I swipe it up and run to the register. To the cashier I mutter something about having boys (a flat out lie) and flee, hoping the seat next to me will be empty so no ones sees me reading the gamer magazine.
What the heck? Closet gamers? Are you kidding me?

Someone explain this to me, why are people so afraid to admit they enjoying playing games? Do people attach certain characteristics to gamers?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 07:06 AM
v7n Mentor

Prolly for the same reason that not everyone is willing to admit they smoke pot. For some reason, playing games on a regular basis makes you a "gamer" and there is a stigma attached to it even today which is ridiculous given the fact gaming accounts for more revenue than the motion picture industry.

My daughter rules!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:43 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think it is mostly remnants of the nerd or geek tag and the stigma that still goes along with that for most people. I am rather proud of being a geek and don't have a problem with it now but that most certainly was not always the case. There are still lots of games that you mention playing in front of the wrong person and all they know about it is bad press that can go from addicts messing up their lives with "that game" to the old Dungeons & Dragons type hysteria (that game promotes demons and devils, you can't play that) or other similar nonsense.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:26 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
Prolly for the same reason that not everyone is willing to admit they smoke pot.
Since one is illegal and the other is not, that doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltos View Post
I think it is mostly remnants of the nerd or geek tag and the stigma that still goes along with that for most people. I am rather proud of being a geek and don't have a problem with it now but that most certainly was not always the case. There are still lots of games that you mention playing in front of the wrong person and all they know about it is bad press that can go from addicts messing up their lives with "that game" to the old Dungeons & Dragons type hysteria (that game promotes demons and devils, you can't play that) or other similar nonsense.
I'm kinda proud of my geek status.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

I think everybody is a gamer, they just don't know it or haven't found the right game for them yet.

My girlfriend wouldn't touch a game until she discovered The Sims 2, same thing (though with different games) with my sisters, my dad, and even my mother in law. Games have a bad reputation of being a childish entertainment but that is wrong, if a person looks hard enough he/she will find a good game that suits their style.

I heard somebody say that in the 30's and 40's, all members of a family would gather at night to hear somebody tell a story on the radio. In the 60's it would be in front of a TV. And in the future people will sit in front of an interactive screen and act in their own virtual stories. The closest we are getting to that is by playing games.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Since one is illegal and the other is not, that doesn't make much sense to me.
lol, I meant because of "assumed" status not legalities.

My daughter rules!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum