Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-23-2009, 07:06 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Game Consoles In 60% Of U.S. Households Now

Game Consoles In 60% Of U.S. Households Now

Gamer Population Surges
http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/12...game-consoles/

Quote:
Video game console usage is hitting new heights, with 60 percent of U.S. households now owning a video game console, based on the fourth annual State of Media Democracy report based on a survey of the media habits of Americans.
60 percent of U.S. homes have game consoles
http://blogs.chron.com/gamehacks/2009/12/post_14.html

Quote:
More Americans are entertaining themselves at home in the recession, which combined with lazy Gen Xers and older people has driven the growth. An astounding 70 percent of GenXers own consoles, though it's not really surprising. What is a surprise is that 44 percent of graying Boomers own game systems.
So tell me, what game console(s) do you own? Any particular reason why you chose that one as apposed to another console?

Bonus Questions:
- What do YOU think is causing the increase in the percentage of homes owning game consoles?
- Why do you think this has spread into the "graying" population?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
So tell me, what game console(s) do you own?
None yet, I'm thinking of getting a PS3 but I need to buy it outside Argentina, these things cost 800USD here (compared to the 300USD that it costs in the US).

Quote:
Any particular reason why you chose that one as apposed to another console?
I don't really want to buy a console but I have to. There are many console exclusive titles that are not available for the PC (I'm dying to play Beatles: Rock Band). There is no reasonable excuse for that, the PC hardware is far more capable than consoles (more memory, better CPU, more disk space). They just make more money selling consoles and games for consoles, so they do not release so many good titles for the PC.

Quote:
Bonus Questions:
- What do YOU think is causing the increase in the percentage of homes owning game consoles?
In the last 2 or 3 years they have been targeting many more casual gamers, those who buy the games, play them for less than a month (most don't reach 100% completion) and then go buy another. Now when you are about to start a game and choose the difficulty there is a "Casual" option, which makes it cakewalk, and it is intended for those people.

Targeting casual public has been very profitable to Nintendo with their Wii.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

WOW! 800!? For real? That's insane!

I have an Xbox but totally regret buying it. I don't play sports game so I should have gotten a PS2. Unfortunately I bought into the graphics and specs more than the games so Xbox is what I went with.

I have a PSP2k as well. I use it more often than my Xbox and it's a handy little thing to play music on when I'm biking since I don't have an actual MP3 player.

If I was going to buy a new console now, I'd definitely get the PS3, mainly for the games but also because I have a PSP and can link the two together.

Quote:
Bonus Questions:
Game consoles are by far the easiest setup for none-computer literate types. For obvious reasons. While you don't have to be a savvy computer user to buy a nice rig and play PC games, it does comes with a compatibility and tweak caveats when it comes time to deal with games not working right and/or configuration problems. Also, nobody really buys a computer just for gaming - the tendency is to buy a beefy 'computer' that can 'also' play games. Well, at least that's the rationale when it comes time to write the check. "But I can also check email, and write stories and surf the web"! (:

Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ncryptabl3_lick View Post
WOW! 800!? For real? That's insane!
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1202148

It says $3099 (AR Pesos) = 815 USD.
And that's the official price, then add whatever the retailer wants to charge as his own revenue.

There is this weird plan of promoting the Argentinean production of technology so they are putting insane taxes to any hi tech product that is manufactured outside Arg. Most laptops cost 200USD more here than anywhere on the US, the PS3 costs 500USD more. I guess the argentinean factories are ready to produce their own PS3's and sell them at a reasonable price

I'm seriously considering sending about 400USD or 500USD via Western Union to somebody from the US, asking them to buy the PS3 there and shipping it to me, so don't be surprised if any of you get a PM from me

I prefer giving some extra money to the person who bothers to buy it for me than giving it to the Arg. government.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

I don't guess my atari 2600 counts.

We do all our playing online.

Think I need to check out that farmville this is about the 5 th time this week I have seen it mentioned.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 PM
v7n Mentor

No wonder some devs seem to be supporting the PC less and less.

I hate consoles.

My daughter rules!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM

I've just got an Xbox 360. The reason? It's got the games I want to play. That's pretty much it. Halo is one of my favorite series so that does a lot.

I think there are so many consoles in households because of how mainstream gaming has become. And one of the easiest ways for a mainstream audience to get into gaming is through a console as opposed to PC's. And on top of that, I'd say the Wii has done a lot when it comes to widening the gaming demographic.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:05 PM
v7n Mentor

I actually think consoles are just easier to buy and far less hassle when it comes to gaming which appeals to our drive through society. Buying a game for a specific console means that it will be able to hadle the game without any "tweaking" or concerns about hardware limitations.

Also, when a console is starting to show signs of age, they just release a new console whereas PC gamers are continually forced to research/upgrade to stay on par with newly released titles.

My daughter rules!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yeah consoles are one of the best ways to play games and so a lot of american families already own one. They are less hassle but I am surprized that a lot of US households are interested in playing games. I wonder which console is the most selling one.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
So tell me, what game console(s) do you own? Any particular reason why you chose that one as apposed to another console?
i only have desktop computer, and PSP

Quote:
it's because, the parents are spoiling their child and they're willing to buy his or her child a console.

and most of the time advertisements of game consoles and advertisements of the game is also one of the thing, and we must admit it that there are a lot of games all over the country and in all continents.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum