Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Girl Games

This is not a thread encouraging sexism of any nature so please keep this in mind when reading.

My daughter is 14 years old and loves playing games on the PC. That being said, she prefers a certain type of gameplay where the main characters are usually women. Not only is she a big fan of the Sims Series (now the Sims 3), she also loves Tomb Raider and actually plays GTA1V just because Niko is just so damn c00l.

We were looking at possibly getting Dragon Age Origins but there have been a lot of complaints about weak graphics and everything I've seen so far pretty much confirms this. She's also stated that she really likes great visuals so if DAO is weak then I don't think she'd like it much.

Here is a complete list of games she's played and enjoyed in the past few years:
  • The Sims 2 + all Expansions
  • The Sims 3
  • Tomb Raider Underworld
  • Tomb Raider Legend
  • Zoo Tycoon + African Adventure + Endagered Species
  • Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 + Wet 'n Wild
  • Black and White 2
  • Lego Star Wars
  • Lego Batman
  • Age of Empires 3
From this list can you think of any games that are strong on graphics, story and possibly strong female leads?

Thanks.

My daughter rules!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I am playing Age of Empire and it is one of my favorite game. My niece prefers SIMS . I do like to play games as well which are really feminine . The one I am playing Conquer online is a girl and a boys games because you get to choose a female and male character and they are really interesting

Old 01-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

I have been watching videos of Dragon Age Origins (will probably get it when the price lowers down a bit) and indeed the graphics look a bit dumbed down as if they made it for consoles or to be played on TVs, but on PC screens these games look a bit unpolished.

The thing is, those videos show a lot of close ups with the cameras which is only done for recording videos but when you are playing the game you will have the camera zoomed out, otherwise it is impossible to see what is going on around you.

My girlfriend plays a lot of the Sims but we also like playing together Guitar Hero. There are 2 games for the PC: GH3 and GH World Tour while all the others are only for consoles. It may be a bit expensive since you must buy the game and also the guitar or other instruments but I assure you playing GH with a friend is a blast.

I would also like to recommend you Trine, it is an indie game, classical RPG 2D adventure but the graphics are outstanding. The storytelling, sound, voice acting and gameplay feel really nice. I recorded a few vids of Trine:

[yt]K0LerMI2_38[/yt]
Despite being indie it is very strong on graphics, I installed it on my dad's machine and he couldn't max it out completely with a geforce 8800.

Also if she likes stealth action, one recent game with strong graphics and good story is Velvet Assassin, I got it real cheap off steam a week ago and I'm loving it despite a few unpolished details.

Does she also like adventure games? Tales of Monkey Island is really fun for all genres and ages, the graphics are not brilliant but decent enough and the story is hilarious.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Last edited by Hades; 01-17-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post

Also if she likes stealth action, one recent game with strong graphics and good story is Velvet Assassin, I got it real cheap off steam a week ago and I'm loving it despite a few unpolished details.

Does she also like adventure games? Tales of Monkey Island is really fun for all genres and ages, the graphics are not brilliant but decent enough and the story is hilarious.
I showed her Velvet Assassin this weekend and she thinks it looks good but a bit dark, foreboding and scary so she's a bit apprehensive about it. Personally I think it's great because its a chick and Nazis, what more do you want out of a shooter?

The Tales of Monkey Island looks pretty cool however so I'll have to let her take a look at it. My guess is she'll love it because it does look pretty interesting from what I've seen.

I'm with you on Dragons Age Origins. I think I'll wait for an 00ber Steam deal and pick it up then.

My daughter rules!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

If she's into adventure games check out these two:

The Path, it's an intriguing dark themed adventure, it got some real good reviews, the downside is that it has been developed by a small company so you won't find it retail, your only chance of getting it is off digital distribution.

Mini Ninjas, this one is more for kids but it looks cute and it's quite fun nonetheless. The graphics don't look too bad considering that it's a console port.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 01-19-2010, 08:56 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think of the two she'll just love Mini Ninjas, great suggestion bud!

My daughter rules!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:33 PM

when i saw the name of this thread, i thought of girly games. I recently played "cover girl" for the PSP. have the youtube gameplay somewhere. if you had not heard such a game existed it is because it is not popular i think. had a little fun with it. that's one of the girliests games as it gets.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Well we ended up getting Mini Ninjas as you can dl it via Steam (yes, I'm a Steam supporter) and the game was really beyond expectations so much so that even I've played a little.

You have a rather extensive arsenal at your disposal plus you can change characters as you save them while progressing through the game. The levels are designed in such a way as not to be somewhat non-linear and you have choices as to whether you want to fight or sneak you way in.

When you play the main character you can also use your ninja powers to become any animal close to you and infiltrate areas or find hidden goodies using their senses.

The game is really well done and for those of you who played Tomb Raider you will recognize some of the controls as its an Eidos Title.

My daughter rules!

Last edited by alter-ego; 02-01-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
We were looking at possibly getting Dragon Age Origins but there have been a lot of complaints about weak graphics and everything I've seen so far pretty much confirms this.
I'm playing this currently. While I'm OK with the graphics as I have to have them turned way down to get the game to work on my laptop, there;s a lot of blood. Lots of blood. And beheadings. Lots of beheadings.

Not sure if you feel comfortable with this in front of a 14 year old.

Did I mention the beheadings?

What about the 2 Star Wars Knights of the old republic games? You can play as a female in the first one. Haven't tried the second one but I would assume that you can.

There's also Morrowind but that's a nonlinear RPG where you don;t have to follow the plotline. Not sure if that would be of interest.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by palinma View Post
what about Final Fantasy?you can use Playstation Emulator to play it.
i think that's a good game..my sister enjoy it from final fantasy VIII and IX..
and she cry when she see the ending of the game..
I don't know much about the FF series but I thought it was a pay monthly online MMORPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike View Post
I'm playing this currently. While I'm OK with the graphics as I have to have them turned way down to get the game to work on my laptop, there;s a lot of blood. Lots of blood. And beheadings. Lots of beheadings.

Not sure if you feel comfortable with this in front of a 14 year old.

Did I mention the beheadings?

What about the 2 Star Wars Knights of the old republic games? You can play as a female in the first one. Haven't tried the second one but I would assume that you can.

There's also Morrowind but that's a nonlinear RPG where you don;t have to follow the plotline. Not sure if that would be of interest.
lol thanks for the feedback but if you read my first post, you'll notice she's playing GTA1V so I'm sure she can handle some blood and guts. I'd much rather her be exposed to this stuff in an environment where I can discuss it with her prior than via some wayward friends and then hiding it from me. Not to get too much into parenting discussions but I've always believed that if they can't get it at home, they'll go elsewhere and you won't have a clue.

...I'd much rather have some clue.

She's not much into Star Wars (neither of us are) with one exception, if she can play Yoda then its likely she'll dive right in.

My daughter rules!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Dragon Age also has some nudity and sexual content.

But hey if she can stand GTA4 with all its drug addiction references, racism and cursing this will be like playing Bambi

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Dragon Age also has some nudity and sexual content.
REALLY?!?!?!

*cough* *cough* I mean I've heard there's some in there. Haven't seen any though.

Plenty of beheadings though.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike View Post
REALLY?!?!?!

*cough* *cough* I mean I've heard there's some in there. Haven't seen any though.

Plenty of beheadings though.
Sorry Mike I don't have the game and only watched some reviews of it, these reviews mention there is sexual content.

Like I said on my first post in this thread, I'm waiting for the first Steam sale to get it 30% or 50% off, it should happen soon. I can't pay 200ARS=50 dollars for a game (it's just too much) so I always wait for the Steam sales.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'm right there with you buds, Steam or bust!

My daughter rules!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

I flipped though the hint book and see some mention of SEX but the only thing I've hit is two demons wearing silver dollar sized string bikinis.

I just bug my attorney if there's something I want to play. She throws it into the weekly care package/ paperwork box.

I don;t ask that often though. A couple times a year. Personal budget is too tight. Or I just find it elsewhere on line.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Well its a m00t point anyway because I just don't see myself picking up the game until Steam is blowing it out at a drastically reduced rate. Regardless of content, I have enough faith in my parenting skills to not allow my daughter to take things the wrong way.

Even if it were to have nudity, sexually suggestive themes, drugs, violence, it wouldn't be any worse than even one Lindsay Lohan Movie or worse; what kids this age experience in high school (which she tells me about).

My daughter rules!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I realize this thread has gone a bit stale but I thought it worth updating given there is some very good suggestions here for others who have daughters looking for games to satisfy them.

I recently picked up a game called Mass Effect 2, more out of morbid curiosity than anything else, simply because it was priced very well on Steam one weekend. I had my doubts that it would be worth the price paid as its a space game and a 3rd person shooter/RPG; not my cup of tea.

A few hours in I realized that I had found something special. The game sucked me in so deeply, it was 2 AM before I realized what had happened. No game has drawn me in this deep since Max Payne and Operation Flashpoint.

I didn't think my daughter would be into it that much but I was dead wrong on that account to. She's actually more addicted to Mass Effect 2 than every game she played previous including the Sims 2, the Sims 3, Age of Empires 3, Mini Ninjas, Black and White 2, and everything Barbie.

What we both love about Mass Effect 2:
  • Unmatched character development, each with their own story.
  • Good main story and plenty of side stories.
  • Beautiful graphics and environments.
  • Player character creation; you can actually decide what your character will look like prior to playing the game.
  • Terrific atmosphere.
  • Plausible story line.
  • Deep immersion factor.
  • Moral choices that affect your characters experiences through the game.
  • Terrific mix of linear and non linear elements.
  • Great combat.
  • Huge amount of special abilities and experience.
  • A romantic interest.
For anyone looking to play inside a movie, this is as close as you're going to get; at least in 2010.

The only downside to this game that we've found is it has sucked the life out of the remainder of our gaming catalog. Mass Effect 2 just has so many elements in it that all other games pale by comparison.

...yes, it's that good.

My daughter rules!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Hey Ken, nice to see you're having fun.

Another recommendation: If you and your daughter liked GTA4, don't miss Episodes from Liberty City, it's been on Steam since last month and I just can't leave it

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Hey Ken, nice to see you're having fun.

Another recommendation: If you and your daughter liked GTA4, don't miss Episodes from Liberty City, it's been on Steam since last month and I just can't leave it
I had considered it but she wasn't interested in it much given Mass Effect 2. Of course we both spent a lot of time in GTA IV so I'll have to revisit whether or not she wants to try the expansions.

Thanks for the recommendation buds.

My daughter rules!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Yep it'd be good to buy it when it's on a deal.

I see it more like a different game than an expansion... It has plenty of single player content, so far I have clocked 12 hours into it and I've completed like 30% of The Lost and Damned (it's one of the two stories that come in Episodes From LC). It costed me 22$ on a Rockstar Week deal and I don't regret a single cent of it

I'll look into ME2 as well, thanks for that!

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum