Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

View Poll Results: Do you like Steam?
Yes 9 90.00%
No 0 0%
I'm indifferent. 1 10.00%
Don't trust it! 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-31-2010, 02:33 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Your thoughts on Steam

I thought it pertinent to start an opinion poll on Valves Game Launcher, Browser, Media Platform, etc., Steam.

Personally I've never been a supporter of programs such as this as I worry about what they broadcast in regards to my PC. Not that I'm a hacker or have a rig loaded with warez but I don't like the idea of someone scanning my rig for info that I don't know their taking.

This is not to say of course that Steam does this but it is a long standing concern of mine and many share similar worries.

I've always been on the fence with Steam until quite recently when I lost my main HD and had to do a complete reinstall from OS up. Needless to say it was quite the PITA but when it came to my Steam Apps, it was quite literally a few clicks to be back up and running at full capacity.

All that was necessary was to dl and install a new Steam client, login and voila, all my games were there ready to be re-uploaded and re-installed. Even the games I had not purchased via digital download were there ready to go.

Getting back all my Steam Stuff was extremely painless and by far one of the best software experiences I've had to date. This makes me wonder, is having programs such as Steam really a bad thing?

Please share your thoughts.

My daughter rules!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

In the beginning I didn't like it, I saw it as "yet another login screen that I must pass to get to play my games." I had to have it installed because I wanted to play some games that only work with Steam.

Then I got my first international credit card the ones I had before didn't allow me to make payments in dollars, so with this one I was able to buy stuff online, and when I compared the Steam prices with the ones of my country I noticed that everything arrives here to Argentina insanely overpriced. So after I realized that in the deals I can get games for 15USD that here would cost about 70USD I immediately fell in love with Steam and since then I use that platform to get all my games.

A few days ago I read that Steam reached 25 million users, which is a big milestone for any distribution platform, moreover I think Steam is what keeps PC gaming alive. In the last few years I have noticed that game developers despise PCs and make the best stuff for consoles only. If it wasn't for Steam's huge user base now every developer would be working on console games only.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 02-09-2010, 08:29 AM
v7n Mentor

Steam is a great program, and here is why:

You get access to older games that are no longer found in stores.
Valve/Steam runs 2 specials a week - mid week special and weekend special where the games might be 75% off
Easy access to demos - and all kinds of demos
Direct link to metacritic from the game page - so you can read reviews before you buy
Early access - sometimes you get to play the game a week or 2 before the store bought versions go live.
Dont have to keep up with CDs or DVDs.
All of your games stay updated - and this is one thing I really like. No more looking for patches. All of the patches and updates are downloaded and installed automatically.

I have been using Steam ever since it was released with half-life 2. Its probably the best content delivery system I have seen so far.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I like Steam though I don't use it as much as I used to, it's a great gaming client though.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
Steam is a great program, and here is why:

You get access to older games that are no longer found in stores.
Being a fan of older games, this turns Steam into a virtual gold mine for me. These games are dirt cheap and are usually offered up in bundles with similar software.

Steam's software bundles also allow you to gift any items you may already have in the offered bundle to a friend. I've utilized this option a couple times now.

A great service I'll never give it up.

"The Dude Abides..." - Jeff Lebowski

Old 02-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It basically means I can play online with other people and buy games on the same day as their release which is always a huge plus!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:59 AM

I like steam but some games really don't need it. Why should we have to run some other program to get a game running that doesn't even have multiplayer?

Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy View Post
I like steam but some games really don't need it. Why should we have to run some other program to get a game running that doesn't even have multiplayer?
I'll have to look in my Task Manager the next time I launch but I could have sworn that Steam hibernates when you launch apps, is this not the case?

My daughter rules!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLab View Post
Steam's software bundles also allow you to gift any items you may already have in the offered bundle to a friend. I've utilized this option a couple times now.
Between christmas and new years Steam has massive sales on a lot of games.

I bought the ID software pack, which included 21 or 22 games - hexen, hexen II, ultimate doom, doom II, doom III, doom III resurrection of evil, quake, quake II, quake III,,,,, and several other games. The price for the ID Pack was something like $20. Your not going to find that in any store.

Between christmas and new years I bought the Unreal pack for something like $14 - and it contains around 5 of the unreal games.

A few days ago I bought myself and 2 of my kids titan quest for $4.99 a copy.

Your not going to go to wal-mart of best buy and find deals like that.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM

theyre network is really unreliable.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 AM

may i make friends with u

Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Banned

If at first most of you don't like it,then feeling you like it eventually

Then,I guess it is interesting!

now I am curious!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
I thought it pertinent to start an opinion poll on Valves Game Launcher, Browser, Media Platform, etc., Steam.

Personally I've never been a supporter of programs such as this as I worry about what they broadcast in regards to my PC. Not that I'm a hacker or have a rig loaded with warez but I don't like the idea of someone scanning my rig for info that I don't know their taking.

This is not to say of course that Steam does this but it is a long standing concern of mine and many share similar worries.

I've always been on the fence with Steam until quite recently when I lost my main HD and had to do a complete reinstall from OS up. Needless to say it was quite the PITA but when it came to my Steam Apps, it was quite literally a few clicks to be back up and running at full capacity.

All that was necessary was to dl and install a new Steam client, login and voila, all my games were there ready to be re-uploaded and re-installed. Even the games I had not purchased via digital download were there ready to go.

Getting back all my Steam Stuff was extremely painless and by far one of the best software experiences I've had to date. This makes me wonder, is having programs such as Steam really a bad thing?

Please share your thoughts.
could you add me
i wanna be friend of u

Old 04-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Hi
Steam is pretty good since they keep all your games updated.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum