Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

View Poll Results: Are consoles killing PC Gaming?
Yes 3 37.50%
No 4 50.00%
Other (please elaborate in your reply) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Are PC prices killing PC Gaming?

I'm a gamer and as a gamer, I want the most fluid gameplay experience possible however fluidity does little good when all you can see are low quality textures and jagged edges. This holds especially true nowadays as LCD monitors are now mainstream; most have native resolutions in the 1900px + area and most require some decent horsepower from a GPU to make a game look and run decently.

While its true you can spend $1000 to get a decent gaming rig, the chances of it being future proof are extremely unlikely given the progression of more and more demanding gaming titles.

This being said, do you feel that the relatively low cost, convenience and slower next generation development cycle are what makes Consoles a far more attractive purchase to many as compared to PC's? Also, do you think this is a potential reason why some game developers aren't too concerned with porting console games?

Disclaimer: this is all personal observation and based off no resource other than the grey matter residing between my ears.

My daughter rules!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

When I was younger I didn't mind having to setup up configurations for PC games and emulators, but now that I'm older with more responsibilities and less time, I prefer consoles because of their convenience. Just turn on console and play. Also, consoles are more of a sitting back on the couch activity while PC gaming is a hunched-over-the-desk activity. And lets not forget that console gaming graphics are so good now for everyone that its become less of an bullet point.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Well it's a very complicated issue because there are many factors that influence the consumers being driven in to consoles and out of the PC platform, but it's definitely happening.

One factor like you pointed out Ken, is the cost. A very good gaming rig with all the bells and whistles (3D, eyefinity, good sound system, dual card setting) can cost between 2000 and 3000USD and it will start showing its age within 2 years, you can see this happening with the GTX200 nvidia graphics cards, some very good and very expensive cards like the gtx295 came out in 2009 and now they can't run DirectX11 features such as tessellation. While a console can just cost a few hundred USD and it will last for 6 or 7 years if you buy it at the beginning of the generation.

Secondly you have ease of use and compatibility. In a console you just put the game disc in, wait for it to install you're ready to go, while on a PC you have to troubleshoot driver issues, get the latest version of all your software or solve issues with anti cheating systems like PunkBuster, also you have to watch out for resource usage, and keeping the machine clean of viruses, this gives the less tech savvy gamers some big headaches until they say "enough, time to buy a console".

Third is the fact that publishers and console developers "want" gamers to move to consoles due to the lower piracy rates and because they are also able to charge for subscription services like the Xbox Live. Publishers like Ubisoft have long ago discovered that they can make much more money on consoles so they decided to punish PC users in every possible manner from delaying PC version of the titles to including some absurd DRM measures (check out what they are doing with DRM in Assassin's Creed II for the PC), I personally decided to stay away from all Ubisoft games due to this lack of respect. I'm getting really sick of the console exclusive releases, delayed PC versions of the same games, number of activation limits, or just having to put my CDs on the computer to play.

But on the other hand you have a bunch of great Publishers/developers who understand that the PC user base is still huge (check out Steam's statistics report) and they still decide to offer good products for the platform, I'm talking about EA/DICE with their Dragon Age, or the new Battlefield Bad Company 2: the beta of this game is closing tomorrow and it was just awesome, they have solved quite a few big issues in the last month. Some other companies such as 2K/Firaxis have been always doing an outstanding job with the Civ series and there is a new one scheduled for September. Also Valve does an incredible work with Steam and all their games: L4D, Half Life, Team Fortress...

So in summary, no I don't think it's just the price that makes gamers go for consoles but there is a lot more to it. Also I don't think it threatens the PC as a platform, which will still exist for years to come. We just need to do some adjustments:
  • reduce piracy to the console levels, if not completely.
  • get rid of the money seeking publishers, and only buy games from those who respect gamers.
  • make distribution and troubleshooting easier, companies like Nvidia and AMD-ATI, or Intel and AMD could make arrangements and establish new standards to solve this.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

The consoles just do not have the movements like what pc games do. There is no way to compare a game pad, to a mouse and keyboard - the precision is not going to be there.

consoles are also lacking in mutiplayer games. Sure they have mutiplayer, but not when companies like microsoft try to corner the market.

I'll take my pc over a console anyday.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
The consoles just do not have the movements like what pc games do. There is no way to compare a game pad, to a mouse and keyboard - the precision is not going to be there.

consoles are also lacking in mutiplayer games. Sure they have mutiplayer, but not when companies like microsoft try to corner the market.

I'll take my pc over a console anyday.
I agree. You also can't compare graphics as PC's will almost always outshine Consoles on eye candy.

My daughter rules!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

yes.the prices are too high to be bought.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Contributing Member

yes, you can't make a forward and backward circle fluently in keyboard while playing fighting games like street fighter, tekken5. playing games in Joystick is more fun.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum