Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 AM
v7n Mentor

Mass Effect 2

This game has completely consumed me and is quite likely one of the most well rounded, polished and immersive gaming experiences I've played in years. Terrific story (stories), great mix of action and exploration, terrific use of decision making and benefits/consequences thereof, unsurpassed character cast and personalities and great mix of both linear and non-linear gameplay.

Has anyone tried this game yet and if so, what are your impressions?

Genre: RPG/Third Person Shooter.

My daughter rules!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 02:20 PM

Yes I have played it and i am sure it will be one of the best games made after HAlf Life 2

Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I LOVE mass effect 1 and 2. I have to agree it is one of the best games I have ever played and all the new DLC keeps making it better. I can't wait for mass effect 3.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

I played it. Meh...

I enjoyed ME1 for what it was but some of the changes in ME2 just plain bugged me. I liked dropping down on planets and riding around - this whole scanning business is a time-sink at most.

Lack of loot - and the upgrade system seemed more like a downgrade this time around. I much preferred how things worked in ME1 - find a cool upgrade, apply it - build custom load-outs etc... In ME2, its 'time-sink to find enough minerals to buy upgrades that are questionably good, maybe'

The whole affair was really a bore. I had to force myself to finish it then promptly uninstalled it and threw the disk across the room never to grace my dvd drive again. In fact, I might go dig it out of the pile and snap it.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:15 AM

I liked both games and I am looking for future products in the franchise. It has potential to grow into something much more, there is a 3rd part on the way and the movie has been announced as well. I won't be surprised if this will also eventually make an MMORPG product.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
This game has completely consumed me and is quite likely one of the most well rounded, polished and immersive gaming experiences I've played in years. Terrific story (stories), great mix of action and exploration, terrific use of decision making and benefits/consequences thereof, unsurpassed character cast and personalities and great mix of both linear and non-linear gameplay.

After catching up with a couple of friends recently, we were traveling on the train and 2 of them were going on and on about this ME2 game. They tried to explain it to me, but I wasn't grasping the concept real well. One of them is actually a software rep for EA and he was saying it is one of their most solid games ever made. The other friend is a very solid gamer, so when he said he was addicted to it - I took that to mean that it was damn good.

So, armed with that knowledge, I picked it up about a week ago. I chose a Sentinel for my first play through, knowing that I'd be cannon-fodder for most enemies with the big bullseye stuck on my back, and I have to say I am really enjoying the difficult combat.

The sentinel is more of the defensive all-rounder. They have the strongest shields, and a variety of bio attacks and gun options

I do like the 3PS-genre. I'm more of a sandbox GTA, Red Dead Redemption or Saints Row style gamer but this game offered me a cross between Halo and those types of games.

I didn't play ME1 so I don't know much of the back story... However the story in ME2 is drawing me in, and I like the slick conversation options (I'm more of a renegade), and the chances to cut-into conversations with the left-right trigger occasionally when someone needs a punch to shut them up hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay.M View Post
I played it. Meh...

I enjoyed ME1 for what it was but some of the changes in ME2 just plain bugged me. I liked dropping down on planets and riding around - this whole scanning business is a time-sink at most.
The biggest drawback so far has been the mining/prospecting side of the game. The first couple of times it is interesting, because it's new, but it gets old/boring/tired really quickly, because you do the same thing over and over on every planet. I made a mistake and dumped 5000 element zero on upgrading Shepard with an "advanced option", the thing is I already had one (slam) gained during a mission, and I didn't realise there weren't anymore unlocked yet, so after researching the advancement I lost 5000 element zero and gained nothing. It's one of the more difficult minerals to find, so that's a pain.

Quote:
The whole affair was really a bore. I had to force myself to finish it then promptly uninstalled it and threw the disk across the room never to grace my dvd drive again. In fact, I might go dig it out of the pile and snap it.
I actually really enjoy the gameplay. I find it interesting, but maybe that's because I didn't have ME1. I know that neither of the Halo sequels, for me, was as good as the first one. But would I be disappointed in them if I hadn't played the first?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I'm not a huge fan of the graphics, but the gameplay system is amazing.
Definitely looking forward to Mass Effect 3!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Yes, the graphics are not up to a standard like Final Fantasy 13, but that slight trade-off is easily worth it when you factor in that you control the action in Mass Effect 2, whereas in a game like FF13, you are just a spectator on a linear roller coaster ride.

What I like about Mass Effect 2, is that you have a range of missions to do all at one time and you can control what you do and when. There are also side-missions, sub-plots and even human interaction that you can get involved in between the main storyline missions. Most games do not offer that.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I haven't played it yet though I have already finished the first which was awesome. I will be getting the game as soon as the price lowers a bit. I just got the game borderlands and Starcraft 2 so no time for Mass Effect 2 yet. I heard a lot of good reviews so I guess it's really a good buy.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I've just got to a point where I had like dozens of missions to complete, and now all the side-stories are done, and all that's left is the main storyline - I wonder if that was meant to happen... I don't really like how it did though.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I've just got to a point where I had like dozens of missions to complete, and now all the side-stories are done, and all that's left is the main storyline - I wonder if that was meant to happen... I don't really like how it did though.
Even though the mining portion of the game is quite redundant, it's necessary for the upgrade system. You might want to look at scanning some new planets as there are a number of side quests that can be found simply by scanning planets.

Also, by the scanner upgrade and simply sweep scan the planets left to right quickly launching probes when the mineral probe spikes high. Usually you can get away with half a dozen probes (sometimes less) to deplete a planets resources.

My daughter rules!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:55 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Yeah. I actually did upgrade the scanner and visited every planet in the solar system before I posted.

I think the game is light on missions. Essentially you do the dossier missions, a loyalty mission for each crew member, half a dozen or so of those "anomaly detected missions" and then the main storyline mission.

As a comparison of what I'm talking about. I've probably done 3 times as many missions on Red Dead Redemption and I've only just crossed the border into the second half of the game (something like 42% completion). Which means there are a tonne more things to do.

Now, noted the storyline in Mass Effect 2 is pretty strong, but at 2 Discs, this game should have far greater mission depth (I note that whilst writing this there is probably DLC missions available --- I know there are 2 characters that you can only obtain via DLC)

The worst thing about the game, apart from the fact it ends too quickly, is that the mining takes up too much game time. It would be an interesting side challenge, if the game was far more vast. However, researching the actual planets quickly gets boring, so much so that you just jump from star to star unless an anomaly is detected.

The developers acknowledge this by supplying you with a tonne of free resources on a 2nd play through (50,000 element zero, and 100,000 of the other resources if I'm not mistaken - plus $200k). What that means is the 2nd playthrough you pretty much just do the missions and the quick anomaly scans, making for a slicker product.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post

Another great adventure game and worth for every cents I spent on. Great story line with ability to play and change whatever in the game. It is not a fix line like COD series. I can't wait to see Mass Effect 3 release.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Awesome game with a great cast of characters and storyline. I have to admit I enjoyed the upgrade system more in ME1 and the leveling up as well. But ME2 compensates with better combat and better storyline. ME definitely provides that epic feeling.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:19 AM

I've played ME1, it's one of my favourite RPGs, but I plan to play ME 2 on the PS3. It's quite hard actually, but it's almost here!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum