Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Extreme Gamers Spend 48 Hours Per Week Gaming

I am not much of a gamer anymore but 48 hours? When i was young, i played on the super nintendo for about 10 to 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday. My mom told me to go play with my friends or do my homework. lol

I spent time now doing other things but take a look at this short blog post on webpronews before responding.

Quote:
Extreme gamers, which represent 4 percent of the total U.S. gaming population, spend 48.5 hours a week playing games, according to a new report from The NPD Group.

Overall, U.S. gamers spend 13 hours per week playing games, up from 12.3 hours in 2009.

When looking at the number of hours gamers spend per week playing video games, hours spent playing both console and PC games showed a marked increase over last year's study, with console games increasing 9 percent and PC games increasing 6 percent. The number of hours gamers spent playing portable games saw a decline of 16 percent.
Continued at: 48 Hours Per Week Gaming

Any comments on what's been mentioned in the brief but short blog post? How many hours or a rough estimate of the hours you spend gaming? My thing is, does spending a lot of time gaming interfear with your personal life? Don't jump on me, i am not a gamer these days so i don't know how addicting the games are.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

That's probably an under-statement for most hardcore gamers.

Joining clans, most would spend 4 to 8 hours a night and in the weekend probably more if still home. Some people live on online social teamplay games like World of Warcraft, Battlefield, Frozen Throne, Counterstrike, Left 4 Dead, etc. It becomes their personal life, more than real life.

Watch 'South Park - Make love, not Warcraft' for a humourous example.

Yes, it's a major addictive issue, I use it play like crazy on World or Warcraft, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead. Get into a good clan and you get sucked into playing and practicing daily and entering tournments/matches.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

It interferes greatly with real life. I used to log 12+ hours a day 7 days a week. Still managed to work 8 hour job, so sleep suffered among other things.

The great thing about interfering with real life is that is the reason I think so many people do play. They are trying to escape the responsibilities of real life or hardships. Then again, a few of the gamers I met were retired. Yes! Age 60+ people do know how to use a computer and can be a really good gamer! And others, were disabled in some way preventing them from getting out much nevermind joining the workforce.

The majority however were students who were addicted and I am sure their grades suffered.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Only 48?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

hmmmm..... me i play..... 10hrs a day...... and sometimes when i feel sleepy i used to play 5 hrs....

Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM
v7n Mentor

Wow, what an enormous waste of time - unless you're a game developer and it's part of your work.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayGamesArcade View Post

Joining clans, most would spend 4 to 8 hours a night and in the weekend probably more if still home.
For someone working a full time job, 8 hours every night would be a little difficult. Not sayings its impossible, it would just be "difficult".

Personally, I think 4 - 6 hours on a work day, an 12 - 16 hours on a non-work day would be an average for a "hard core gamer".

Back in around 1997, 1998 and 1999, on the weekends I used to spend 12 - 18 hours a day playing quakeworld death match. During the week days I would play maybe 3 hours a day.

Today, I'am playing left 4 dead 2, maybe 2 - 3 hours a night, and maybe 5 - 10 hours on the weekend. Last weekend I probably clocked about 16 - 20 hours.

Some of the people in the CPL (cyber players league), they would play games as their full times jobs. But they played in the competitions to win prizes, like thresh used to do. Some of those guys would rack up 40 - 60 hours a week.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayGamesArcade View Post

Joining clans, most would spend 4 to 8 hours a night and in the weekend probably more if still home. Some people live on online social teamplay games like World of Warcraft, Battlefield, Frozen Throne, Counterstrike, Left 4 Dead, etc. It becomes their personal life, more than real life.

Watch 'South Park - Make love, not Warcraft' for a humourous example.

Yes, it's a major addictive issue, I use it play like crazy on World or Warcraft, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead. Get into a good clan and you get sucked into playing and practicing daily and entering tournments/matches.

yeah..... playing on clan wars, can really stretch your skills and really challenge you to play better and more addicted game of the future

Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am an addict gamer as what my mother calls me. I spend most of my time playing. I even prefer playing above all things. Gaming is like something that can develop your inner self. It enhances your skills, develops your thinking, and improves your creativity. I was once told by a friend to get a life, and I said I have the best of it.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberglass View Post
I am an addict gamer as what my mother calls me. I spend most of my time playing. I even prefer playing above all things. Gaming is like something that can develop your inner self. It enhances your skills, develops your thinking, and improves your creativity. I was once told by a friend to get a life, and I said I have the best of it.
Read the effects of video games on the brain:
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...or-video-games
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-271849.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1012082710.htm

And the research goes on...

Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchbliss View Post
Read the effects of video games on the brain:
Just consider the games training for the coming zombie invasion.

After the USA, Russia, and China blow the world up with nuclear weapons, someone has to save the survivors from the roaming hordes of brain eating zombie parasite mutates.

I suggest you start off with:

Doom - to learn how zombies and demons move
Command and conquer - to learn how to manage your resources
Diablo - learn how to use primitive weapons
Team Fortress - learn how to defend your base
Left 4 dead 1 & 2 - learn how to work as a team against the zombies
Counter-Strike - learn how to use a sniper rifle, ak-47, and m-16.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Any comments on what's been mentioned in the brief but short blog post? How many hours or a rough estimate of the hours you spend gaming? My thing is, does spending a lot of time gaming interfear with your personal life? Don't jump on me, i am not a gamer these days so i don't know how addicting the games are.
It's been years since I've put any real time into gaming but I can say that when I was heavily into gaming, 48 hours may have even been a slightly conservative figure.

The time I was most active in gaming was during the heyday of Battlefield 1942. I played so often that I rarely came in lower than 5th on any map and consistently placed 1st on maps such as Tobruk, Wake, and Aberdeen regardless of server size and population.

During this time I was also a game admin for BF1942 servers both in the US and Europe with the gaming community I was active in. I played every single night from after work right through 'til midnight; sometimes later. I'd also spend a solid weekend day bi-weekly for at least 8 - 10 hrs. but oftentimes longer.

I think 48 hours is a large amount of time to dedicate to anything but when you consider most of us give 40 hrs/week working, it doesn't make a figure such as 48 all that unattainable.

My daughter rules!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well i think free online games directories and face book games have made every second person become this extreme gamer.... 48 hours a week is nothing ...

Old 06-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by spree-seo View Post
Well i think free online games directories and face book games have made every second person become this extreme gamer.... 48 hours a week is nothing ...
So how long do you spend online playing games?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:19 AM

i love games but i cannot spend that much..

Old 06-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvilleseo View Post
i love games but i cannot spend that much..
Do you play any games at the house? I was not referring to games in the arcade room at the mall or somewhere else. You have any games for the computer?

When i had lived with my brother, he had a xbox 360 and i spent a lot of time on that on the weekends. Usually a min. of 10 hours on saturday and sunday playing a tiger woods game. I moved out and don't play any games since i have gotten a new hobby online. lol

What's the average time you spend playing games anyways?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Do you play any games at the house? I was not referring to games in the arcade room at the mall or somewhere else. You have any games for the computer?

When i had lived with my brother, he had a xbox 360 and i spent a lot of time on that on the weekends. Usually a min. of 10 hours on saturday and sunday playing a tiger woods game. I moved out and don't play any games since i have gotten a new hobby online. lol

What's the average time you spend playing games anyways?
Well in the weekdays, it is about five hours a day and in the weekends average goes to 12 to 15 hours. It is very hard to give more time when you have a full working thus tiring day. But in the end passion wins always over tiredness or fatigue.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM

lool 48 hours is not that much
how about you dream about playing these games? lol

Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermac2014 View Post
lool 48 hours is not that much
how about you dream about playing these games? lol
mind you, this is something real, can't you play it for that so long in your dream, despite only a few hours you've spent for sleep..?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In the 2009 summer i was probably averaging 72 hours a week. I spent all day everyday playing CSS matches and smoking myself to death. Expectedly i put on about 20lbs in 7 weeks from no excercise but it was one hell of a summer.
My hand eye co-ord rose so much, i went out and played rugby at school when i returned after summer (boarding school) and i was so much better (but slower running).

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum