Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Why do video games make such bad movies?

While reading some news on the CNN.com website i came across this story. Please read the story before responding.

Quote:
Do you think the idea of Jake Gyllenhaal playing a time-traveling Arabian swordsman seems far-fetched?

Then consider Raul Julia as a gravity-defying, Third World despot, or Sir Ben Kingsley taking on the role of a bloodsucking vampire king.

Sadly, as illustrated by "Prince of Persia," the latest film adapted from a popular video game, the more things change, the more they play the same.

Decades after the debut of "The Wizard," a thinly disguised, feature-length Nintendo commercial, the marriage between Hollywood and gaming remains rocky at best. In other words: Movies based on video games stink.
Continued at: Video Game Movies

So how about it? Why do video games make such bad movies? Keep in mind i am not saying all video games make bad movies. Just that people get used to a game after spending many hours playing it and then watch the movie and shocked about how the story line has changed. Anyways, if you have any comments on this article and subject itself, please respond.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

What really I hate the most in these video game turned movies is that they usually get high paid actors/actress to do the role that is not suited for them, and by that they ended up ruining the movie in the process.

Another thing that makes these movies fail to satisfy the moviegoers is the storyline.. they alter it.

Super Mario, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Max Payne etc. These are the examples of video games ruined because of its movie adaptation.

Moviegoers as well as gamers like me wants to see unadulterated storyline of video games being adapted into a movie.

those who are involved in the production,directing and especially the actors/actress of the movie should play the game and finish it first before they start to work on the movie.

Last edited by technophobic; 06-08-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Not all movies turned out to be so bad.
Silent Hill wasn't all that bad.
Tomb Raider wasn't bad except for some overacting
Resident Evil was pretty good movie. Third part did suck really bad though

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by technophobic View Post
What really I hate the most in these video game turned movies is that they usually get high paid actors/actress to do the role that is not suited for them, and by that they ended up ruining the movie in the process.

Another thing that makes these movies fail to satisfy the moviegoers is the storyline.. they alter it.

Super Mario, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Max Payne etc. These are the examples of video games ruined because of its movie adaptation.

Moviegoers as well as gamers like me wants to see unadulterated storyline of video games being adapted into a movie.

those who are involved in the production,directing and especially the actors/actress of the movie should play the game and finish it first before they start to work on the movie.
agree,

i think they should go deep into the game first and reveal every exciting parts of a game. And not to decrease/cut parts from it. i believe everyone that involved, is a highly skilled and very talented person, so they could go with it easily.

i think should satisfy everyone, especially for gamers.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
lolz. yes, they should and let the moviegoers see what they expect in the storyline.
is cartoon series that turned out to be a real movie better?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
is cartoon series that turned out to be a real movie better?
i can't imagine how tom and jerry would gonna be?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

A good example of these is HITMAN. I love the Hitman game series but I hated the movie so much!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think the public would really prefer the theme of video games rather than the theme of movies based from those video games. It is like, "Public likes Choco muffin more than Mocca choco muffin". That's why video game movies are underrated.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM

Mostly because the directors behind the project suck. It's the other way around too, really: When a game is released based on a movie, to good developer is willing to handle the project.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
v7n Mentor

Personally I just don't think Hollywood understands the recipe that makes for a successful video game. Sometimes they get the actors right and the story wrong (Tomb Raider) or they get an OK story and choose the wrong actor (Max Payne).

I can't say I'm a huge Angelina Jolie fan but they certainly could have done worse with the lead role. She does a good job with Laura with the exception of her flirtatious nature, it's a wee bit overdone in the movies, both of them. Also, they could have spent a lot more time with her tombing and a lot less time with her schmoozing.

I was really excited to hear Max Payne was coming to the big screen until I heard Mark Wahlberg was going to play Max. The guy can't even mimic the gruff low volume voice that Max did throughout the games narrative. I remember when I first heard that Max was coming to screen, the actor that immediately popped in my head was Christian Bale. Anyone who's ever seen Shaft should understand why I'd choose him because he can play an awesome bad@ss and whether you like him or not you have to admit he is good at flushing out a roll as he did in American Psycho.

...and then there was Doom, what the hell were they thinking?

I think the only way a Hollywood rendition of a game will ever work is if the Game Devs who've spent years flushing out these characters actually write the script and choose the actors. Then it's up to Hollywood to pick the best Director that is capable of bringing that Genre to life.

My daughter rules!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detoam View Post
Not all movies turned out to be so bad.
Silent Hill wasn't all that bad.
Tomb Raider wasn't bad except for some overacting
Resident Evil was pretty good movie. Third part did suck really bad though
I agree. Tomb Raider Angelina Jolie = overacting/bad acting. But was a really good popcorn movie.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think its because the movie companies hire people who know every little about the game.

Take Doom for example - when it was made into a movie, it adopted a story plot close to resident evil, where some kind of experiment went wrong.

The Doom game had nothing to do with DNA or an alien race. The original Doom game was about scientist opening a portal to Hell. Maybe the director did not want religious overtones in the game? Maybe the director did not believe in hell, but he believed in DNA.

If the game companies took a lesson from Marvel comics, and made their movie story to the original story line, things would be a lot better.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 PM
v7n Mentor

...assuming you liked Spider Man that is.

Couldn't agree more on the new Batman's though.

My daughter rules!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Somehow i still interest playing it rather than watch the movie...

Old 08-03-2010, 07:19 AM

I think it's the same thing with books. Someone reads a book and this is the only story they know, then they go and make a movie and change the storyline, or the characters, or the setting, etc. With video games it's the same thing. We get so excited to see our favorite game turned into a movie just to be disappointed because the directer thought an explosion in the middle of everything would be great. I've never actually played video games enough to even care, but my boyfriend was pretty pissed at the movie Max Payne which he said was a computer game?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbasi View Post
i played many games but i like the movies of call of duty and medal of honor.
Good movies!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

When it comes down to it, video games do not make bad movies--Hollywood studios make bad movies.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogger View Post
When it comes down to it, video games do not make bad movies--Hollywood studios make bad movies.
Agree..no Hollywood able to implies or create the real excitement/amusement in the gaming into life,

Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

to be honest, most of the character or the actors/actress doesn't fit for the personality or the character they pretend on the movie, and for me the only movie inspire game that really suit for the character was Tomb Raider where Angelina Jolie really fit for the character of Lara Croft...

Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

I would say simply put it's because games are designed to be interactive, for the "audience" to take on a role and immerse themselves in the game, films on the other-hand are to be watched.
It is a rare occasion when there can be a successful crossover between the 2.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum