Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Fallout 3

Did anyone here see that Fallout 3 was on sale through Steam last weekend? If so, did you get it?

I have read a lot of good reviews of Fallout 3, but to be honest, I'am a little disappointed in how the weapons system works. I do not see a way to fast switch between weapons - everytime you want to use a new weapon, you have to bring up a menu, select the weapon, then close the menu. Just about all first person shooters I have ever seen have a way to scroll through the weapons - either by using a button, or by using the scroll wheel on your mouse. In Fallout 3, I do not see any such option. So when you run out of ammo, its a pain to switch to another weapon.

The graphics reminds me of Borderlands, which is a good thing.

Overall, the game looks like it has a lot of potential.

I like the role playing part - where you get to add points to attributes, like strength, luck,,,,,,,,,.

I also like being able to move between towns without having to walk the full distance.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

I've been playing FO3 since it came out and got pretty heavy into modding - even released one.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6093

Technically, Fallout 3 isn't a First-Person-Shooter so fast-switching is just not a part of the game-dynamic. Of course its a First-Person perspective but there is a 3rd Person perspective as well and ask any Fallout 3 dev or die-hard player and they'll all tell you its an RPG first, nothing else second. The same way TES is an RPG, even though you have a First-Person view and you can shoot arrows/bolts.

How is it the graphics of FO3 remind you of Borderlands? Borderlands came after FO3 and has a 2d/comic book/cross hatch shader texture style while FO3 has the standard-style shader sets. Two completely different animals.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay.M View Post
How is it the graphics of FO3 remind you of Borderlands?
Its the overall atmosphere that both games create through their visuals.

With Borderlands - you see mountains in the distance, the wind generators, the massive wide open spaces,,,.
With Fallout 3 - its destroyed cities in the distance and wide open spaces.

Borderlands went on sale first, so I bought it first through Steam. Even though Fallout 3 was released before Borderlands, I have not seen it on sale. After getting burned so many times with crappy games, I rarely pay full price for a game - I'll wait until it goes on sale and then get it. I did not even buy Left 4 Dead when it came out - even though I have just about every game Valve software has ever made. I bought Left 4 Dead 4 months after it came out - which was when Best Buy had it $10 off the regular price. Left 4 Dead 2 on the other hand, I pre-purchased it as soon as it was available.

Because I played Borderlands first, that is why I'am comparing FO3 to Boderlands.

I have to disagree that FO3 is not a FPS - its a FPS-RPG. When you play the game through the characters eyes - its a First Person Shooter, because the game is being played from the First Person Point of view.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

Ah okay, I see what you're saying. I thought you were comparing Borderlands and FO3 in terms of art assets.

Yeah, I call it an FPS too but *they* don't and *they* get all ruffled when someone does. The VATS system precludes the notion of a full FPS. It has Survival Horror elements, companions and is more an RPG with skills, levels and open-ended gameplay. Its hard to pin it down into an FPS because a true FPS is a straight up, First Person Shooter, not third-person, no RPG elements. Like Quake, or UT, or CoD etc. omg... I'm starting to sound like one of *them*. *shivers*

Have you seen any of the New Vegas info? It should be coming out in the fall. Same engine, with some mild tweaks and the setting moves from DC to Las Vegas (:

Also if you have a chance, get the DLC's. Broken Steel raises the level cap and they all add some great gameplay after the main story line has finished.

If you check out the GECK, hit me up (:

Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

Have you seen any of the New Vegas info? It should be coming out in the fall. Same engine, with some mild tweaks and the setting moves from DC to Las Vegas (:
Yea, I saw something about New Vegas on Steam - its up for pre-order. Expected delivery date is supposed to be in October sometime.

I might get New Vegas, still undecided.

Quote:
Also if you have a chance, get the DLC's. Broken Steel raises the level cap and they all add some great gameplay after the main story line has finished.
The version of FO3 I got off Steam was the "Game of the year edition" - it came with all of the extra content for around $25. Regular price is $49, so it seemed like a good deal. Its the game and something like 5 add-ons?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

Ah the GOTY, yeah I got that one as soon as it came out - by far the best one.

Yep 5 DLC's;

Operation Anchorage http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Operat...orage_(add-on)

Operation: Anchorage. Enter a military simulation and fight in one of the greatest battles of the Fallout universe – the liberation of Anchorage, Alaska from its Chinese Communist invaders. Gain access to unique armor, weapons, and exotic gadgets while you build and command interactive Strike Teams to win the battle and defeat the Chinese base.

The Pitt http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Pitt_(add-on)

The Pitt allows you to travel to the post-apocalyptic remains of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and become embroiled in a conflict between slaves and their Raider masters. Explore a sprawling settlement ravaged by time, neglect, nuclear radiation, and moral degradation. The Pitt is filled with morally grey choices, shady NPCs, new enemies, new weapons, and much more.

Broken Steel http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Broken_Steel

Continue your existing Fallout 3 game and finish the fight against the Enclave remnants alongside Liberty Prime. Broken Steel moves the level cap for your character from 20 to 30, allowing you to experience even more of the game, including new perks and achievements.

Point Lookout http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Point_Lookout_(add-on)

Point Lookout opens up a massive new area of the Wasteland – a, dark, murky swampland along the coast of Maryland. So hop on the ferry to the seaside town of Point Lookout, for the most mysterious and open-ended Fallout 3 DLC adventure yet.

Mothership Zeta http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Mothership_Zeta_(add-on)

Defy hostile alien abductors and fight your way off of the massive Mothership Zeta, orbiting Earth miles above the Capital Wasteland. Mothership Zeta takes Fallout 3 in an entirely new direction – outer space. Meet new characters and join with them in a desperate bid to escape the Aliens’ clutches. To do so, you’ll wield powerful new weapons, like the Alien Atomizer, Alien Disintegrator, and Drone Cannon, and deck yourself out in brand new outfits, like the Gemini-Era Spacesuit and even Samurai Armor.

Last edited by Kream; 06-21-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fixed URLS

Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
Did anyone here see that Fallout 3 was on sale through Steam last weekend? If so, did you get it?
I know this thread is pretty old but I've been playing this game since I got back from overseas and I also got it on sale.

Just before I left for overseas I finished another Bethesda game that I got on sale for xbox for something like $25... Oblivion. Whose successor, Skyrim, is or has been recently released.

So whilst I was away all these people are telling me about this game Fallout 3, and also New Vegas, but mainly 3. Every gamer I met was telling me the game was good (based on the types of games I was into) so when I saw it was by Bethesda and knowing how good Oblivion was, I had to get it. Seeing it on sale confirmed I was gonna make a good choice even if the game disappointed...

Quote:
I have read a lot of good reviews of Fallout 3, but to be honest, I'am a little disappointed in how the weapons system works. I do not see a way to fast switch between weapons - everytime you want to use a new weapon, you have to bring up a menu, select the weapon, then close the menu. Just about all first person shooters I have ever seen have a way to scroll through the weapons - either by using a button, or by using the scroll wheel on your mouse. In Fallout 3, I do not see any such option. So when you run out of ammo, its a pain to switch to another weapon.
I'm pretty sure you can hotkey weapons - Bethesda normally offer several actions as hotkey options. I play on the xbox 360 and always hotkey'd stuff in Oblivion. However in FO3 I never needed to cos im flush with ammo (I tend to stick with the same gun for a certain mission until it breaks or I run out of ammo --- meanwhile I'm stockpiling for every other weapon).

Quote:
The graphics reminds me of Borderlands, which is a good thing.

Overall, the game looks like it has a lot of potential.

I like the role playing part - where you get to add points to attributes, like strength, luck,,,,,,,,,.

I also like being able to move between towns without having to walk the full distance.
If you like the roleplaying aspect have you tried Oblivion? Lot's of attributes to skill up and skilling them up actually counts towards ur player getting better. It's not just a number.

Might even be good to just go straight for Skyrim. Of course bear in mind both those games are swords and sorcery type and not shooter...

Bethesda generally put that "fast travel" into their games because the world's are usually pretty big and the random encounters are aplenty so if you are just itching to get back somewhere, you can get back there.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I forgot about this thread

I dont know what it is, but I lost interest in fallout 3. When fallout new vegas went on sale, I bought it and it got a little old rather quickly.

A couple of weeks ago Oblivion IV was on sale for like $6 - $7, picked it up and have put 3 hours into the game so far.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM

one of the best games I've played(and ive played a lot ), playing as the evil chaotic character is fun

Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
I forgot about this thread

I dont know what it is, but I lost interest in fallout 3. When fallout new vegas went on sale, I bought it and it got a little old rather quickly.

A couple of weeks ago Oblivion IV was on sale for like $6 - $7, picked it up and have put 3 hours into the game so far.
Yeah I ended up finishing fallout 3 pretty quickly. I used Jericho as my follower for pretty much the entire game because my karma was evil from all the theft and killing (I started out killing Butch in the beginning and his mum, and the Vault Overseer, so from there it was pretty much. yeah!)

Right before the final mission, I went and donated a whole heap of Caps at the Rivet City chapel, got very good Karma, and went and got Fawkes from Underworld to join.

The final mission was a piece of cake, my character was super deadly by then.

So I've got a save before that final mission, and the explorer perk, and I've just been wandering around the map exploring everything that I didn't before. Quite a lot of cool stuff in the game. It's a shame there weren't a lot more side missions like a GTA has. Heck even Oblivion has a tonne of them. I put so many hours into that game like probably 5-10 times as much as Fallout 3, before my character limited out. Closing all the Oblivion gates took *ages*

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum