Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Question about Starcraft 2 license and geo-location restriction

I am exciting in buying an incoming Starcraft 2 but the local license seems too pricey in both Standard and Collector's edition at my local distributor. It is around 2x compared to the retail price in US, which I do not think it is reasonable enough. I am looking to order from Amazon instead of buying from local distributor. I have heard about the geography location restriction and still not sure about it.

My question - can I buy Starcraft 2 license from international online store such as Amazon.com and got them activated at my local located in south east asia? Is there any restriction about it?

I do support all PC games license by bought legit ones and most of their price were reasonable until this one comes out. It is seems the local distributor will use the geo-location restriction to force everyone, in my country of course, buy them without any choice with 200% price tag. That is overpriced in my opinion and I am convincing all the buyers like me to buy from international store instead, if no restriction had been applied in the first place anyway. The local distributor use unfair advantage over buyer and I do really hates it.

Find your Best Rated Web Hosting. Company Today.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 PM
v7n Mentor

I'd be scared to do that, especially since all online games will need to sign on through Battle.Net. I'd wait till it's released, see what others are doing and go from there.

Double whammy, is once you activate the key, you can't resell it if it doesn't work.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

Ya. Go with what nails said. Wait and see if its even worth the trouble.

Somehow I doubt you'll be able to anyways - mainly because of the online aspect. If you just want a single player experience and you're computer is setup for US then it wouldn't know the difference I would think - unless it tries authenticating online, in which case, it will try to authenticate to a US server which would likely be blocked from your location and you'd have paid for something you'll never be able to play.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldnails View Post
I'd be scared to do that, especially since all online games will need to sign on through Battle.Net. I'd wait till it's released, see what others are doing and go from there.

Double whammy, is once you activate the key, you can't resell it if it doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay.M View Post
Ya. Go with what nails said. Wait and see if its even worth the trouble.

Somehow I doubt you'll be able to anyways - mainly because of the online aspect. If you just want a single player experience and you're computer is setup for US then it wouldn't know the difference I would think - unless it tries authenticating online, in which case, it will try to authenticate to a US server which would likely be blocked from your location and you'd have paid for something you'll never be able to play.
Thank you for your both suggestions. Green added. I will wait to see what would comes out before make a decision again.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

You can buy it from the Blizzard online store at the international price in dollars: http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?rhtml=y&f=f:3

And that will allow you to download the game through www.battle.net, which is a distribution system like Steam. All your Blizzard games will be available there.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 06-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
You can buy it from the Blizzard online store at the international price in dollars: http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?rhtml=y&f=f:3

And that will allow you to download the game through www.battle.net, which is a distribution system like Steam. All your Blizzard games will be available there.
Thank you for an official link but I could not find Starcraft 2 available for purchase after a carefully looking through for 3 times already. Can you see it? If yes, the thing I do feared comes true - geography location restriction. Peoples from allowed location would be seen this one while the ones from disallowed would not.

However, thanks anyway Green added

Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puripong View Post
Thank you for an official link but I could not find Starcraft 2 available for purchase after a carefully looking through for 3 times already. Can you see it?
In the Starcraft2 site (http://us.starcraft2.com/index.xml) it says it will be available on July 27th so maybe check out the Blizzard store page then.

The reason why online distribution exists is for the publishers and developers to save money by not having to depend on the brick and mortar stores (they want to remove "the middle man" from the equation). That said I'm pretty sure you will be able to buy the game off an online distribution method once it comes out.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 06-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
In the Starcraft2 site (http://us.starcraft2.com/index.xml) it says it will be available on July 27th so maybe check out the Blizzard store page then.

The reason why online distribution exists is for the publishers and developers to save money by not having to depend on the brick and mortar stores (they want to remove "the middle man" from the equation). That said I'm pretty sure you will be able to buy the game off an online distribution method once it comes out.
Thanks again for your clarification MOD please close this thread.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Closed Thread