Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 AM
theentry's Avatar
theentry theentry is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-10
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Civilization 5

Hello!

I'm pretty surprised that there is no thread about the just released Civ5 Maybe anyone into the Civilization games? I started with Civ1, then Colonization (just ordered the remake - Civ4:colonization) and so on

Any more old time turn-based strategy game players here?
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 AM
mattp123 mattp123 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-24-09
Posts: 55
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I'm a big fan of the Civ series as well, having played them all since Civ 1 too.

Civ 5 looks like a big leap forward graphically judging from the screenshots:

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/s...hp?i=3132&c=36
http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/s...hp?i=3110&c=36
http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/s...hp?i=3104&c=36

It's on my to buy list once I have upgraded my PC first to cope with it's requirements!

Edit: having just read some of the Civ 5 reviews, on second thoughts might hold fire until Civ 5 gets developed a bit more to the same standard as Civ 4 and there's a few decent mods etc.

Last edited by mattp123; 09-23-2010 at 05:52 AM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 AM
theentry's Avatar
theentry theentry is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-10
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I've read that it looks worst on the graphical side then Civ4, and there are less features so it's less complicated (no religion etc).

And what about colonization? did you played it?
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 AM
mattp123 mattp123 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-24-09
Posts: 55
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Yeah from what I have read it looks like they are holding back on Civ 5 features for the inevitable expansion packs, just like they did with Civ 4 with 'Warlords' & 'Beyond the Sword' etc.

I did play the original colonization back in the day but not tried the remake yet. Great game for its time, so was Alpha Centauri which was another spin on Colonization but starts after the space race in Civ, colonizing another planet.

Last edited by mattp123; 09-24-2010 at 04:01 AM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 AM
theentry's Avatar
theentry theentry is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-10
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The original colonization was the bomb, looking forward to play the remake
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Hades's Avatar
Hades Hades is offline
Senior Web Developer
 
Join Date: 01-23-07
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,273
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I'd love to play it but I don't want my newborn baby to grow without a father ... That game is just too addictive.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Dan's Avatar
Dan Dan is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-14-03
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,055
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I've played Civ 1 through 3 and I totally agree on the addiction factor. I played Civ 2 to death, then I gave the CD to a mate (father of 3 girls - so a family of 4 women) and he said that playing that game basically consisted of completing 1 turn a night (at the mid-to-tail end of the game when you are knee deep into wars and construction) - which when you think about it is a great way to play instead of just rushing through your turns.

For him it was a time factor, but it allowed him to destress and unwind for an hour or so playing that 1 turn every night after a hard day of office work, and then looking after the kids at night.

Was Civ 4 worth a look? I'd probably get into Civ 5 if I had a PC to play it on. All I have is laptops and wifi gadgets and they are all chock full of work documents/resources
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 AM
theentry's Avatar
theentry theentry is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-10
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I've played Civ 1 through 3 and I totally agree on the addiction factor. I played Civ 2 to death, then I gave the CD to a mate (father of 3 girls - so a family of 4 women) and he said that playing that game basically consisted of completing 1 turn a night (at the mid-to-tail end of the game when you are knee deep into wars and construction) - which when you think about it is a great way to play instead of just rushing through your turns.

For him it was a time factor, but it allowed him to destress and unwind for an hour or so playing that 1 turn every night after a hard day of office work, and then looking after the kids at night.

Was Civ 4 worth a look? I'd probably get into Civ 5 if I had a PC to play it on. All I have is laptops and wifi gadgets and they are all chock full of work documents/resources
I think every release is worth a look, however I simply don't have time to play. I remember 10-15 years ago I had all the time in the World to play the whole sunday and so, but now
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 PM
williamking williamking is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 10-08-10
Posts: 26
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I'd love to play it but I don't want my newborn baby to grow without a father ... That game is just too addictive.
You are right Hades this new Civilization 5 is great but almost all strategy games takes too much time and they become addiction, so keep away from this addiction and give some time to your family, this is good to you and makes your instinct of species satisfy.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 AM
theentry's Avatar
theentry theentry is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-10
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I need to get a week off or something from work to play a little
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 AM
torham torham is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 12-04-09
Posts: 51
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I have played previous 4 ones till now but haven't had to chance to play Civ 5 yet. I am worried that I can't give it up easily once started.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 PM
williamking williamking is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 10-08-10
Posts: 26
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Today life becomes so much busy that sometimes we cannot find time for ourselves. I used to play lot of games almost daily when i was free but now after doing a long time job it is harder for me to play such games.

Last edited by williamking; 10-17-2010 at 10:25 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 PM
makinalopex makinalopex is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 10-09-10
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
advanced wars is pretty good
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-23-2010, 04:02 AM
skyhighlnkr skyhighlnkr is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-25-10
Posts: 142
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I tried it once, but have to go through all the strategy/shall we say it tutorial... needs time for this.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-23-2010, 05:22 AM
StarLab's Avatar
StarLab StarLab is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-29-07
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,444
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by theentry View Post
Hello!

I'm pretty surprised that there is no thread about the just released Civ5 Maybe anyone into the Civilization games? I started with Civ1, then Colonization (just ordered the remake - Civ4:colonization) and so on

Any more old time turn-based strategy game players here?
Huge Civ fan here...

Civ V isn't *too* bad as it stands now. However, it still needs a lot of work. There are some really good improvements to the gameplay, but at the same time it falls short of feeling like a completed game. You get the feeling you're playing a Beta version.

The AI is weak and sometimes just seems generally confused. Tech tree is quite linear, and victories other than conquest are just boring. Great opening movie but that's it for movies or other media which gives you that sense of real accomplishment.

We'll all be holding our breath for the first expansion to see a 'completed' game.

Remember when Civ IV came out? Same thing. Felt like the game wasn't finished yet. The following expansions turned it into the best version of the series. We can expect no less from Civ V, I'm thinking. Just needs a bit more time on the Dev table.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great looking game. Graphics and UI are pretty sweet. But if you're looking for an upgrade to the Civ IV experience, then you're going to be somewhat disappointed. I know I was.

Took me a good week to start appreciating the game. Easier levels are a cake walk and the AI on those levels are wimpish morons. Crank the difficulty to King level or above you get your ass kicked every time, but at least it's FUN! lol

Also, the game itself runs pretty good even though I'm way below minimum specs on the Video. They made the game quite scalable. If worse comes to worse, you can always play in 'Strategic View' which is an iconic rendering of the Hex map.

Give the game another year, it'll rock just as good as Civ IV.

Still worth checking out, IMO...
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
J from Michigan's Avatar
J from Michigan J from Michigan is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-24-10
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 521
iTrader: 1 / 100%
I love the Civilization games... I started with the 1st one on original PlayStation.

The last one's maps were sooo small, I was really turned off by it.

Did the 'expansion packs' make larger worlds?
(sorry if that seems like a silly question, but I've never bought one)
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-04-2010, 02:13 AM
theentry's Avatar
theentry theentry is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-10
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLab View Post
Huge Civ fan here...

Civ V isn't *too* bad as it stands now. However, it still needs a lot of work. There are some really good improvements to the gameplay, but at the same time it falls short of feeling like a completed game. You get the feeling you're playing a Beta version.

The AI is weak and sometimes just seems generally confused. Tech tree is quite linear, and victories other than conquest are just boring. Great opening movie but that's it for movies or other media which gives you that sense of real accomplishment.

We'll all be holding our breath for the first expansion to see a 'completed' game.

Remember when Civ IV came out? Same thing. Felt like the game wasn't finished yet. The following expansions turned it into the best version of the series. We can expect no less from Civ V, I'm thinking. Just needs a bit more time on the Dev table.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great looking game. Graphics and UI are pretty sweet. But if you're looking for an upgrade to the Civ IV experience, then you're going to be somewhat disappointed. I know I was.

Took me a good week to start appreciating the game. Easier levels are a cake walk and the AI on those levels are wimpish morons. Crank the difficulty to King level or above you get your ass kicked every time, but at least it's FUN! lol

Also, the game itself runs pretty good even though I'm way below minimum specs on the Video. They made the game quite scalable. If worse comes to worse, you can always play in 'Strategic View' which is an iconic rendering of the Hex map.

Give the game another year, it'll rock just as good as Civ IV.

Still worth checking out, IMO...
Still haven't time to check it out.. playing CIVIV: colonization at the moment
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 PM
theentry's Avatar
theentry theentry is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-23-10
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by J from Michigan View Post
I love the Civilization games... I started with the 1st one on original PlayStation.

The last one's maps were sooo small, I was really turned off by it.

Did the 'expansion packs' make larger worlds?
(sorry if that seems like a silly question, but I've never bought one)
Lol I didn't know that there was Civ for PS1.. it looks pretty ugly
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/strategy/...ow%3Bthumb%3B3
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2010, 05:03 AM
StarLab's Avatar
StarLab StarLab is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-29-07
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,444
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by theentry View Post
Lol I didn't know that there was Civ for PS1.. it looks pretty ugly
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/strategy/...ow%3Bthumb%3B3
Not only ugly, but was deadly slow - especially for turn processing. I remember waiting up to 15 minutes for one turn to process.

I finally gave up on it and bought the PC version.
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-05-2010, 12:12 PM
J from Michigan's Avatar
J from Michigan J from Michigan is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-24-10
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 521
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Yeah, I remember it being slow, too...

But the beauty of the game wasn't the graphics, it was the planning/strategy.
(I guess you could compare it to a really good board game.)

Even the newer versions don't need outstanding graphics.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG! Civilization V Announced! StarLab Gamers Forum 9 03-30-2010 01:11 PM
Islam vs Civilization John Scott Controversial Social Issues 11 10-31-2007 04:49 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC