Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM

What do you like in a video game?

My friends and I are woking on creating a new game, but we all need as much help as we can get. so please reply and We will take all the info we can into making a better game.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
v7n Mentor

That's a very open-ended question ...

Good graphics and good score make it enjoyable.

The ability to turn off blood may be a factor in marketing, not really sure on a broad spectrum.

Me? I personally don't care for first-person shooter, or any shooter games. Just seems rather boring, and if too detailed graphics are involved, I really don't enjoy shooting people for no reason.

I like games that are somewhat linear, but with a lot of side-quests and open-ended ability to revisit previous areas. I like RPGs with the ability to customize characters (REALLY customize, not just build up one area before you build up a different area -- the kind where the decisions you make in the beginning will affect the rest of the gameplay -- this allows replaying the game over and over and is a big point for me). I like a challenge as in figuring things out, not just mindlessly running about hacking at things. I want there to be puzzles or problems ... things that make me have to think about it and try different things before I get it right.

I prefer for the enemies to be "monsters" of some sort and not human beings. Animal enemies are ok.

Truly challenging adversaries thrown in are a good idea, but not ALL of them should be super difficult. Honestly, that's where I like open-ended. If you have a choice how to proceed, it's nice for the optional areas to be super-challenging, so people who want to just breeze through the game can do so, but others who like a challenge will find it. You appeal to a broader market that way, IMO.

Customizeable characters are fun. They shouldn't ALL look the same either ... honestly I don't like running around a playing field looking like an over-endowed amazon who's about to fall out of her bikini.

Those are a few opinions for starters.

As far as setting, I find the games that have a storyline that allows multiple environments to be the most fun. Some people like futuristic sci-fi, some like medieval settings, etc. I actually enjoy those few that manage to make it plausible to mix it up within the same game. Speaking of which, an engaging story is a BIG bonus for me, though I know a lot of people get bored with that and ignore the story. Again, it's a good selling point (IMO) if the player has the option to play through with either style. Don't force them to listen to hours of dialogue just to know where to go next, but on the other hand, don't just "go kill everything and there's a prize at the end".

Oh, and super-abilities and super-weapons are fun to try for. Not automatically built into the game (makes it too easy and predictable) but a little harder to get.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Well we actually have some videos up on youtube of our progress, if you want to check them out just type in Realms of Infinity, and its like the first three or fou videos

Old 02-24-2012, 03:18 PM
v7n Mentor

I think the info I answered you, you are far past that. It would appear so?

Your commercial is very impressive. I like the rather unique take on some of the character classes, and the whole project sounds very intriguing.

Depending on where you are in development, I'm not sure I can suggest anything helpful. Wasn't sure how specific you wanted.

It takes me back. The development software is very different, I am sure, but some years back I was very caught up in developing worlds with what was a pretty advanced software for that time. It was limited though, and not really on a par with developing the games we see today, though simpler games could be made with it. It was great for rendering environments and some built-in rules for interactions with the environment. I really enjoyed playing around and building stuff though. In fact I got a little TOO into it, and it seemed best for me to back away. But it sure was fun!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Haha, one funny thing happened though. I wanted a little rabbit to hop randomly around in a generalized circular area in the garden courtyard of a church. Somehow I messed up the script and I set the rabbit to run very VERY VERY fast, and he ended up being about 5 feet off the ground, and his elliptical area was far too big. The effect on entering the scene was that I walked into the courtyard and ... sigh, my rabbit isn't here. Then a few moments later, something WHIZZED past my head, faster than I could make it out. I don't know if you'd find it as funny as me, but I got a huge laugh out of that rabbit orbiting pretty much the planet at eye level, approaching the speed of light. It was hilarious. I finally caught him and slowed him down.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM

Well I really Appericaite the help lol, we are all trying are hardest on this game, its just we are trying to get it out in the world and let people know about it... so we ask as many people as we can for advise on the game itself, because I mean honestly we are building it for The people so its best to find out what they like...

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
v7n Mentor

Well, just hope I said something that helped then.

When I looked at what you had already developed, I wasn't sure if I was being helpful. Looks like you're off to a great start.

BTW, I'm not sure how finished the buildings are in the one clip. Been a few days so I'm not positive which clip it was. I watched several. But the buildings seemed to have a slight monotony to them. Made it a bit dizzying to watch in the video. Making slight changes or, better yet, placing spaces between them, makes it easier on the eye to follow.

But you really look like you're off to a great start. The campfire rendering looks really good to me, and the commercial for the game is great.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

A video game should scare me, interest me and make me laugh, same as a good book

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum