Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

The Real Reason Video Game Consoles Still Have Optical Drives?

Check out the blog post before posting your thoughts.

Quote:
With the rise of online gaming and digital downloads, video gamers in the United States and other developed countries might well wonder why the gaming consoles they buy still come with optical disk drives - and why the next generation of machines will also still have them. The answer, according to recent reports, has nothing to do with protecting retailers.

Earlier this week, ReadWriteWeb reported on the rise of digital downloads and the pressure it is putting on videogame retailers. (See "Game Over for GameStop and Video Game Retailers?") And this week, The Wall Street Journal revealed that Sony flirted with shipping a 2013 successor to the Playstation 3 without an optical drive, then decided to keep it. Microsoft will also ship its next-gen console with an optical drive.

Why bother?

The Journal claimed Sony and Microsoft based their decisions on...
Continued at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterpri...cal-drives.php

Your thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

My thoughts for this is for the consumers and game collectors or gamers around the globe for me optical drive is still a must to install lets say what if the cloud server gone haywire or out of service. Or some other countries doesn't have a fast internet connection yet because I know that digital downloads need to have a consistent internet connection to be used to play games because that is their DRM. I also know that they are also combating the selling of second hand games or used games. And they are doing this right now using an online pass something like that.

It's a good thing that the next gen consoles have kept the optical drives for me I like the hard copies more better than the digital copies. I do also have some digital copies of the games bought from steam. ,,,

Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

At least someone preserving them else they were about to verge of being vanished from the market. Another thing is that it gives me (at least) feel to go out to the store and purchase a copy there and bringing it home just like a new member welcoming (again only for me). May be the reason they gave (slow speed internet) is responsible but at least it feels quite good to me.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum