Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs down Baking Graphics Cards

Have any of you guys heard about baking your gfx card? I had an nVidia 9800gt that started artefacting after a crash during BF3. I had attempted to overclock it though and just thought it was fried. Searched all over for a solution, found out about baking it and it really does work! I've posted a tutorial on baking a graphics card. I would only recommend this if you have no other option though as it is a temporary solution.

What graphics cards do you guys have and have you had any similar problems?

Follow me on twitter: @malcolm_gibb

Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Baking anything at that temperature would melt stuff, and seeing that the boards on that card are kinda plastic, would it not entirely destroy the card itself?

I think you need to bold your disclaimer a bit though I can imagine many will try this.

Generally when one of my cards tank, I replace it, but then again I am not an overclocker, so mostly they die of age. I have seen a few really weird experiments over time as well. Even PC Format tried to run a PC board in oil, which worked for a few minutes before it died inevitably.

Cards are expensive, so I can understand trying to rescue them by any means necessary, but that's a bit of a for me.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamrage View Post
Baking anything at that temperature would melt stuff, and seeing that the boards on that card are kinda plastic, would it not entirely destroy the card itself?
No, not at all if following the guidelines. You need to use a temp of 190-200 degrees celsius and only keep it in for 7-8 minutes. I have done this 3 times on a card and it didn't melt at all. Graphics cards are made of pretty strong stuff.

Baking it fixes it by reflow soldering, sometimes micro-cracks can appear in the soldering joints on the card and by heating it to the correct temp melts the solder and joins it back together. I don't take responsibility for people frying their cards, but I just posted this in case others experience similar problems as it is so disheartening for your graphics card to die on you.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

3 times, on one card? maybe if we heard from others here. Its great to share tips though. I would never have known about baking at all, but then again I'm the kinda person that still worries about water cooling

It would be great to hear about the experiences of others

Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I have done this with a removable graphics card that one of my old laptops had.

It does work but is a temporary fix and it will go again.

What you are doing is heating it up enough so as to fuse a hairline crack on it and if it is getting this in the first place then it will happen again.

Best thing to do would be to try it as you have nothing to lose, though follow the instructions carefully and then make sure you no longer overclock it and also have a decent cooling system running on your computer.

I bought a top of the range cooling pad and it kept it working for a while but ultimately the card failed again in the end, though it was on a laptop and those components get hot due to the close proximity of them all.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 AM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

This was all the range back in the day of early overclocking GPUs, it never caught on because taking the risk of baking a $600 card is ridiculous especially with the exceptional warranties nowadays.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
This was all the range back in the day of early overclocking GPUs, it never caught on because taking the risk of baking a $600 card is ridiculous especially with the exceptional warranties nowadays.
Yeah I agree with that, I'm still rocking my 9800gt though I think it's a pretty solid graphics card for games. On my second one now, well until I upgrade my whole system which is way overdue.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

question: is there any specific oven to bake a graphic cards? lol

Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogfreakz View Post
question: is there any specific oven to bake a graphic cards? lol
Definitely not a pizza oven! The only trick to remember is that the oven must be pre-heated and must not be left in for more than 8 minutes!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

First I was getting quite scary feeling but when I read it completely than felt a bit ok. But still wanna know when should I bake it (apart from making graphic card cake )???

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum