Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Video Game Costs Could Crash the Industry

Quote:
Today, video games are more popular than either music or film, but just 30 years ago, they nearly ceased to exist.

Rapid console releases (like the Atari 7800 only two years after the maligned Atari 5200), subpar games (like E.T. for the Atari 2600, most copies of which wound up in a New Mexico landfill) and the fact that most people already owned all the consoles and games they cared to, combined to nearly wipe gaming off the map. Now, history may be poised to repeat itself.

Consoles today are more powerful than ever, and "AAA" video games (popular, mass-market titles, like Halo or Mass Effect) are triumphs of visual, aural and narrative ingenuity. Publishers command massive amounts of capital, and let developers play with tens of millions of...
Continued at: http://mashable.com/2013/03/27/video-game-costs-crash/

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Video Game Costs Could Crash the Industry

You know what could remedy this situation?

Quality games.

There are still some big companies that create wonderful games, but then we also have some (EA for example) that simply do not care about their users and crap out game after game after game just for the sake of earning money. Or other companies that just release the same game over and over (Nintendo and EA).

I do hope that there will be another crash like the one of 1983 in America, but this time I want it to happen world-wide, to level the field again.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Problem is consumers will buy any title these days from the name. If it's a title that's out annually every year, your average fanboy won't even read reviews, they have already pre-ordered waiting for midnight release, to play it for a year buy all the DLC for £15 a go and then next year do the same again. I imagine 30 years ago games were made with a longer life expectancy than Call of Duty and Battlefield games of today. Developers don't want you to play a game for more than a year. They want to release it, throw paid DLC at you to buy and buy their next release which they will be pushing out media and adverts for 6 months before..(BF4)

Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yeah, and that's what makes me sad.

Thankfully, the indie game scene is also getting pretty big. They don't have the budget for tripple A titles, but at least they provide quality for a decent price (often the price is free).

I don't think that every big developer is bad, but some just stand out - and those need a hefty wake-up call

Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

I think they release games too quickly to be honest. I don't even play the campaigns in Call of Duty anymore because just getting everything unlocked, gold camos, and highest prestige is a challenge in itself to do in a year for the online gameplay. I think if they spaced releases out longer, more people would be ready to purchase the game, releasing them one after the other just gets old.

Look at Grand Theft Auto for example, this year will be the first grand theft auto in 5 years, and it's much anticipated for that reason. If they pumped a new one out every year, people would get tired of it

Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 PM

Hopefully after the success of games like Journey, the indie scene will teach mainstream studios that games don't necessarily need to be time-consuming affairs, crammed with DLC cash grabs & multiplayer extras. Just give us a memorable experience that we can enjoy for an afternoon and revisit for its charm. That's how it was back in the day.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I don't think there will be much of a crash; however, as a avid gamer I do wish that they would consider the fact that not everyone has time to play for 24 hours / 7 Days a week. I don't see the point in buying every release if I don't even get a chance the enjoy the previous. Games like grand theft auto make you urn the play the next release, so much so that you want the game before its even made. That makes a quality game. Problem is I find it hard to get immersed in most of the games today. They just don't have the entertainment factor they once did. I always want more and am disappointed.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I also don't think the will become any big issues in the industry. You only have to look at the approach of platforms like Steam to see how a gaming sub-culture can grow into a booming network and I predict others going with the same approach allowing the next gen consoles to allow you to play over cross platforms as you simply download the game onto what will essentially become a hard drive allowing for cheaper games in the process due to them being purchased & delivered electronically.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum