Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Gamers Forum Whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer, you can discuss games tips and strategies; share cheats, screenshots, game movies and more! Online games, all PC and Console titles and genres welcomed.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Is LAN gaming still a thing?

Back when I was in school, twice a week, the computer department would host a LAN gaming session where everyone played a game (usually Battlefield 1942) through a LAN against each other.

Now, I'm kinda toying with the idea of opening a cyber café focusing on LAN gaming most nights. But, is LAN gaming still a thing? Do they still largely exist or has it been replaced with online gaming? Of course, they would be PC games.
Email: hello@liam-merlyn.co.uk

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

It's an interesting question. Certain things change very fast in the gaming world, while other things change very slowly - or don't change at all.

LAN gaming can certainly have it's place but the real question is whether or not people care enough to lug gear into public places for a LAN game.

Given how most games can connect via IP and Gaming servers are pretty cheap to run, LAN itself has kind taken a back set to the web. Even large e-sport evens still require internet connections for validating installs - the LAN part is just a way to get them together to film the event. If it wasn't necessary, I'm sure 90% of them would stay at home [assuming they have good bandwidth]

I think if I was going to offer a brick and mortar Cafe/LAN gaming location, I would feel the need to provide all the hardware and software onsite. Bring them in because they can just jump on their bike or get a bunch of friends in a car - or even walk-ins, pay for a table and access to X amount of games for X amount of time. The logistics of which, notwithstanding.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I personally don't game in public spaces but when I do game, I sometimes LAN with my siblings. I think LAN gaming is a good way to build a connection and I am now interested in looking around my area for such thing. Thanks!

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Seems unnecessary these days with the quality of wifi connections and bandwidth to home connections.

When I was in high school (late 90s) you had to take a programming related course, because apparently we were all going to work in IT in the future, so everybody took the easiest course and after everybody finished their assignment we would break out into a game of quake across the school's network. That was as close to LAN gaming as I ever got. Back then few people had wifi and it was often slower than the old dial up internet so you didn't have a choice but to connect by wires.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedfordlawyer View Post
Seems unnecessary these days with the quality of wifi connections and bandwidth to home connections.
This is true to an extent. However, I have a game that requires the use of LAN to play privately with a group of people.

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Old 06-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The whole internet is a LAN with everybody who has fiberconnections nowadays

Old 06-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Ah... the good old LAN comradery days...

Seems like with the faster connections it's not necessary, but personally I'd like to see it come back lol

Last edited by HostAwesome; 06-16-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:35 AM

We still have lan parties over at my friends house in the basement. Still great fun but agree seems abit weird having to lug around all the pc's and ports when you can easily game together over steam etc.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Now adays internet connections are fast so do not need LAN! But still in wifi connections you use LAN for transferring files etc in your home!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:11 AM

yes in my city they still play lan!!!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

About 10 years ago a Tech at my work would do lan parties once a month and charge an entrance fee but that covered the costs or supporting all the gamers who showed up. lol

He don't work for our company and not sure if he still doing this.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I still play games via PC. I think the best approach to opening a LAN Center would be the following...

1, Find a location near a school to attract the young crowd (More then likely be a young crowd)

2, Options, make it to where your lan would have PC's and they can bring own PC's along with different consoles with TV's on the other half of the Lan Center. Console gamers are getting more and more competitive!

3, Be sure to have the funds to get this business idea started, you will probably need a silent business partner because let's face it, Computers are NOT cheap and nor are the upgrades along with all the consoles and TV's you would need around.

Hope this helps, I gathered this information from a Lan Center I used to go to when I was in high school from observing what they did right and the wrongs.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Gamers Forum

Closed Thread