Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
ccus ccus is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 05-31-09
Posts: 66
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Unhappy Strange visitor stats in Google Analytics

I've got a fairly new website that a few months old and installed Google Analytics for it but I get these strange stats in the traffic sources > keywords section. There's some keywords that have Visits: 1, Pages/Visit: 1, Avg. time on site: 00:00:00, % New Visits: 100.00%, Bounce Rate: 100% and it's driving me nuts. My bounce rate is over 60% because of that

Who spends 00:00:00 time on a website and bounces off again? Or are they not waiting for the page to load?
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 AM
angilina angilina is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 03-20-08
Posts: 709
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I suggest you do not worry about the 100% bounce rate. I think normally sites have 60% bounce rates. It actually depends on the nature of a site.

If its a forum, then 60% bounce rate is not good, however, for a normal blog, its a ok rate.

I get lot of visitors who have 100% bounce rate. I think [not sure] that if a person come to your site, read the content and then close the page without visiting any other page, then you get 100% bounce rate and this will happen very often with blogs.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 AM
Himalayan's Avatar
Himalayan Himalayan is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-18-06
Posts: 709
iTrader: 0 / 0%
It all due to the relevancy of the website, user don't find it relevant to the niche so they leave it without search anything just after open it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 AM
raphnix raphnix is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-19-08
Location: Everyone's Heart
Posts: 1,358
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccus View Post
I've got a fairly new website that a few months old and installed Google Analytics for it but I get these strange stats in the traffic sources > keywords section. There's some keywords that have Visits: 1, Pages/Visit: 1, Avg. time on site: 00:00:00, % New Visits: 100.00%, Bounce Rate: 100% and it's driving me nuts. My bounce rate is over 60% because of that

Who spends 00:00:00 time on a website and bounces off again? Or are they not waiting for the page to load?
I have two possible reason in mind why it happens to your site.

1. Mis-clicked by users
2. Spam bot visitors
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
juliensimon's Avatar
juliensimon juliensimon is offline
SEO Fanatic
 
Join Date: 08-29-08
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
yeah, it's because they leave the site as it is loading so Google Analytics doesn't actually have the time to count the time spent on the site.

I would also like to disagree if I may with angilina. 60% bounce rate is quite high. Unless you have a shopping cart and that's where they are going, or you have a phone number and/or email on the page and they are contacting you from the landing page, you are not making full use of your website.

Of course, it depends on the nature of the site. A blog, that has a 60% bounce rate but has a low new visitors rate would make sense. The same readers come often, read the last article and then leave. They have already read the rest.

However, these case are rare. I would work on lowering that bounce rate. You can calculate manually what's your bounce rate for the most popular 10/20/30 pages if you wish. It will show you your "real" bounce rate, not altered by all these 100% 1 visit bounce rate.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 AM
shakir shakir is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-07
Posts: 1,076
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccus View Post
I've got a fairly new website that a few months old and installed Google Analytics for it but I get these strange stats in the traffic sources > keywords section. There's some keywords that have Visits: 1, Pages/Visit: 1, Avg. time on site: 00:00:00, % New Visits: 100.00%, Bounce Rate: 100% and it's driving me nuts. My bounce rate is over 60% because of that

Who spends 00:00:00 time on a website and bounces off again? Or are they not waiting for the page to load?
Do not find anything strange on it.. its naturel.. if any make only one clik and leave th esite will get 0000... and also some tools spammers etc....
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 AM
buttsb buttsb is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 06-02-09
Posts: 77
iTrader: 0 / 0%
i read the both comments angilina and Himalayan and i m agreed with them
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 AM
EnhanceSEO's Avatar
EnhanceSEO EnhanceSEO is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-03-09
Location: UK
Posts: 78
iTrader: 0 / 0%
juliensimon has it spot on - this happens with my website to!!!
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2009, 01:49 AM
buttsb buttsb is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 06-02-09
Posts: 77
iTrader: 0 / 0%
i read the both comments angilina and Himalayan and i m agreed with them
the both reasons are correct and possible.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 AM
baxy's Avatar
baxy baxy is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-03-08
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 342
iTrader: -1 / 0%
I think until and unless you are selling some thing very expensive, a bounce rate of more then 50 percent is worrying.

One reason might be this that visitors are not coming from relevant source so they are unable to find what they was looking for.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2009, 04:49 AM
bobchrist's Avatar
bobchrist bobchrist is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Posts: 888
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Did you tried to use different tools to check the stats and compare the result?
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Cryxellis's Avatar
Cryxellis Cryxellis is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-25-07
Posts: 973
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I think the main idea there was your site is just new so don't
expect anything at first. And about the keywords it's just
pretty normal to have a visitor just like that..sometimes
it's nothing at all. Just continue the promotion and be patient.
That is the key for your site's success.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
zeruel's Avatar
zeruel zeruel is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 03-28-07
Location: UK
Posts: 4,348
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Cryxellis has a good point. Your site is new and I don't think that expecting a boost on your Analytics stats should be prioritized. If it is more than 6months, it's acceptable that you should worry with what's happening. Otherwise, work on getting a good amount of bounce rate, but always remember that it always depend on the site.
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM
ccus ccus is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 05-31-09
Posts: 66
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalayan View Post
It all due to the relevancy of the website, user don't find it relevant to the niche so they leave it without search anything just after open it.
It's not the bouncerate so much as the time spent on the site that I'm worried about at the moment. I mean you can't see that the site is relevant or not in 0 seconds. I would take you at least 1 second to click the back botton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphnix View Post
I have two possible reason in mind why it happens to your site.

1. Mis-clicked by users
2. Spam bot visitors
You might have a point about spam bot visitors. Any idea of how I can get rid of them or block them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliensimon View Post
yeah, it's because they leave the site as it is loading so Google Analytics doesn't actually have the time to count the time spent on the site.
So it could be that the site is taking too long to load. Something else for me to work on then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliensimon View Post
I would also like to disagree if I may with angilina. 60% bounce rate is quite high. Unless you have a shopping cart and that's where they are going, or you have a phone number and/or email on the page and they are contacting you from the landing page, you are not making full use of your website.

Of course, it depends on the nature of the site. A blog, that has a 60% bounce rate but has a low new visitors rate would make sense. The same readers come often, read the last article and then leave. They have already read the rest.

However, these case are rare. I would work on lowering that bounce rate. You can calculate manually what's your bounce rate for the most popular 10/20/30 pages if you wish. It will show you your "real" bounce rate, not altered by all these 100% 1 visit bounce rate.
The blog is fairly new, only a few months old and doesn't have a lot of posts yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchrist View Post
Did you tried to use different tools to check the stats and compare the result?
I'll try that. I've got AWStats set up for the site so I'll compare stats.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Matski Matski is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 06-03-09
Posts: 1
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Seems fine to me

I wouldn't worry about it.

The recorded time on site works off time stamps difference between two pages.

So if the user doesn't click a link they will equal 1 bounce, plus will have no time on site.

I would only be worried if the number of bounced visits didnt match the number of 0:00 time on site.
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
entrabnetworks's Avatar
entrabnetworks entrabnetworks is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 02-24-08
Posts: 1,713
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Why not you try some other tool
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 PM
sim72 sim72 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 10-04-08
Posts: 25
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Well i think its quite normal. Even i have blogs and i see these figures daily. I think high bounce rate is not good 60% is average. You need to make your site more attractive in order to make traffic stay and return again.

C yaa
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 PM
larryatv7 larryatv7 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-04-09
Posts: 318
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I would not worry about it. Every site will have some weird clicks and the percentage means nothing if you only have a few visits.
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 AM
alisaa alisaa is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-03-09
Posts: 59
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thumbs up Reply

hii

We can not stop anybody directly for our bounce rate but..

you can develop your sister site for your main site and...

you can link exchange with that..so when anybody come to your site and go through your link then they will go to your sister site..

and you can get more benefit and set your sites blog links means generate linkwheels for that...
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Site Stats Analytics mrcountry SEO Forum 26 03-11-2008 02:44 AM
I got a visitor from a Google search for a really common word. How? Stomple Google Forum 1 01-27-2008 05:16 PM
Getting Existing Google Stats into your Own Analytics Account Fruit & Veg Google Forum 1 09-07-2007 02:55 AM
strange google problem seasickmedia Google Forum 2 04-27-2006 09:08 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC