Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Unhappy Strange visitor stats in Google Analytics

I've got a fairly new website that a few months old and installed Google Analytics for it but I get these strange stats in the traffic sources > keywords section. There's some keywords that have Visits: 1, Pages/Visit: 1, Avg. time on site: 00:00:00, % New Visits: 100.00%, Bounce Rate: 100% and it's driving me nuts. My bounce rate is over 60% because of that

Who spends 00:00:00 time on a website and bounces off again? Or are they not waiting for the page to load?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

I suggest you do not worry about the 100% bounce rate. I think normally sites have 60% bounce rates. It actually depends on the nature of a site.

If its a forum, then 60% bounce rate is not good, however, for a normal blog, its a ok rate.

I get lot of visitors who have 100% bounce rate. I think [not sure] that if a person come to your site, read the content and then close the page without visiting any other page, then you get 100% bounce rate and this will happen very often with blogs.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

It all due to the relevancy of the website, user don't find it relevant to the niche so they leave it without search anything just after open it.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccus View Post
I've got a fairly new website that a few months old and installed Google Analytics for it but I get these strange stats in the traffic sources > keywords section. There's some keywords that have Visits: 1, Pages/Visit: 1, Avg. time on site: 00:00:00, % New Visits: 100.00%, Bounce Rate: 100% and it's driving me nuts. My bounce rate is over 60% because of that

Who spends 00:00:00 time on a website and bounces off again? Or are they not waiting for the page to load?
I have two possible reason in mind why it happens to your site.

1. Mis-clicked by users
2. Spam bot visitors

Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
SEO Fanatic

yeah, it's because they leave the site as it is loading so Google Analytics doesn't actually have the time to count the time spent on the site.

I would also like to disagree if I may with angilina. 60% bounce rate is quite high. Unless you have a shopping cart and that's where they are going, or you have a phone number and/or email on the page and they are contacting you from the landing page, you are not making full use of your website.

Of course, it depends on the nature of the site. A blog, that has a 60% bounce rate but has a low new visitors rate would make sense. The same readers come often, read the last article and then leave. They have already read the rest.

However, these case are rare. I would work on lowering that bounce rate. You can calculate manually what's your bounce rate for the most popular 10/20/30 pages if you wish. It will show you your "real" bounce rate, not altered by all these 100% 1 visit bounce rate.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccus View Post

Do not find anything strange on it.. its naturel.. if any make only one clik and leave th esite will get 0000... and also some tools spammers etc....

Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Banned

i read the both comments angilina and Himalayan and i m agreed with them

Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Contributing Member

juliensimon has it spot on - this happens with my website to!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

i read the both comments angilina and Himalayan and i m agreed with them
the both reasons are correct and possible.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

I think until and unless you are selling some thing very expensive, a bounce rate of more then 50 percent is worrying.

One reason might be this that visitors are not coming from relevant source so they are unable to find what they was looking for.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:49 AM
v7n Mentor

Did you tried to use different tools to check the stats and compare the result?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

I think the main idea there was your site is just new so don't
expect anything at first. And about the keywords it's just
pretty normal to have a visitor just like that..sometimes
it's nothing at all. Just continue the promotion and be patient.
That is the key for your site's success.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
v7n Mentor

Cryxellis has a good point. Your site is new and I don't think that expecting a boost on your Analytics stats should be prioritized. If it is more than 6months, it's acceptable that you should worry with what's happening. Otherwise, work on getting a good amount of bounce rate, but always remember that it always depend on the site.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalayan View Post
It all due to the relevancy of the website, user don't find it relevant to the niche so they leave it without search anything just after open it.
It's not the bouncerate so much as the time spent on the site that I'm worried about at the moment. I mean you can't see that the site is relevant or not in 0 seconds. I would take you at least 1 second to click the back botton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphnix View Post
I have two possible reason in mind why it happens to your site.

1. Mis-clicked by users
2. Spam bot visitors
You might have a point about spam bot visitors. Any idea of how I can get rid of them or block them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliensimon View Post
yeah, it's because they leave the site as it is loading so Google Analytics doesn't actually have the time to count the time spent on the site.
So it could be that the site is taking too long to load. Something else for me to work on then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliensimon View Post
I would also like to disagree if I may with angilina. 60% bounce rate is quite high. Unless you have a shopping cart and that's where they are going, or you have a phone number and/or email on the page and they are contacting you from the landing page, you are not making full use of your website.

Of course, it depends on the nature of the site. A blog, that has a 60% bounce rate but has a low new visitors rate would make sense. The same readers come often, read the last article and then leave. They have already read the rest.

However, these case are rare. I would work on lowering that bounce rate. You can calculate manually what's your bounce rate for the most popular 10/20/30 pages if you wish. It will show you your "real" bounce rate, not altered by all these 100% 1 visit bounce rate.
The blog is fairly new, only a few months old and doesn't have a lot of posts yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchrist View Post
Did you tried to use different tools to check the stats and compare the result?
I'll try that. I've got AWStats set up for the site so I'll compare stats.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Seems fine to me

I wouldn't worry about it.

The recorded time on site works off time stamps difference between two pages.

So if the user doesn't click a link they will equal 1 bounce, plus will have no time on site.

I would only be worried if the number of bounced visits didnt match the number of 0:00 time on site.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Why not you try some other tool

Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Well i think its quite normal. Even i have blogs and i see these figures daily. I think high bounce rate is not good 60% is average. You need to make your site more attractive in order to make traffic stay and return again.

C yaa

Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

I would not worry about it. Every site will have some weird clicks and the percentage means nothing if you only have a few visits.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up Reply

hii

We can not stop anybody directly for our bounce rate but..

you can develop your sister site for your main site and...

you can link exchange with that..so when anybody come to your site and go through your link then they will go to your sister site..

and you can get more benefit and set your sites blog links means generate linkwheels for that...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum