Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
No Longer Active

Official Google Update Thread - February 2010

Past Threads

Feb 08 | Mar 08 | Apr 08 | May 08 | Jun 08 | Jul 08 | Aug 08 | Sep 08 | Oct 08 | Nov 08 | Dec 08 | Jan 09 | Feb 09 | Mar 09 | Apr 09 | May 09 | June 09 | July 09 | August 09 | Sept 09 | Oct 09 | Nov 09| Dec 09 | Jan 10
  • Have a speculation about when Google will update?
  • Do you think there has been a backlinks update?
  • Do you think there has been a PR update?
  • Are you seeing Google fluctuations?
  • Do you think there has been an algorithm update?
You may want to start with a basic understanding about Google updates before posting in this thread.
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/whats-an-update/

Last edited by ~CReed; 02-16-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: past thread anchor

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Contributing Member

Has google done PR as mine has changed

When google done there PR on 31st December, my blog was not very old, I got a PR3, and then for some reason, a month later I lost PR completely. It may have been, because I changed some of it, as I was new to this, obviously should not have touched it, was the links mainly adsense etc., I have worked at it again, and noticed this morning it has gone back to PR3

I have learnt my lesson, will leave it as it is.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Banned

May be it is a Google Dance..........

Old 02-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

I have not seen any changes to PageRank...

Old 02-15-2010, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry to say but Google dance is taking away any website/blog away from search ranking in Google for particular keyword.

To what had happened to you, is the same happened to me. I got PR4 on the day G updated PR database. After 4 days i lost it and checked it from every source i can.

Just after 5 days i got back the PR4. This is nothing but a technical problem which happens due to update in PR database. This is quite rare but nothing needs to be worried.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesparker View Post
May be it is a Google Dance..........
The Google Dance that you refer to here was nothing to do with Page Rank. It refers to wide swings in the search results that are usually associated with a new web page.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Its a glitch or a bug or something else. This usually occurs in a random given time or day.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned

I think yes, but not this February its still the same.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvvg561 View Post
The Google Dance that you refer to here was nothing to do with Page Rank. It refers to wide swings in the search results that are usually associated with a new web page.

Actually, I believe the Google Dance refers to the tendency for SERPs to vary for all sites, some more so than others. I would venture that what happens to newer sites is called the sandbox.

I haven't seen any toolbar PR changes, but I don't keep my nose to that ground.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

After "DEC 09 " you wrote "Jan 09" I think thats typo mistake.

And there was PR update in January 2010 also?
I didn't noticed that!
My sites PR also didn't changed!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmasterforums View Post
After "DEC 09 " you wrote "Jan 09" I think thats typo mistake.

And there was PR update in January 2010 also?
I didn't noticed that!
My sites PR also didn't changed!
Thanks for mentioning the typo.

There may not have been a PageRank toolbar export in January, the monthly threads help organize posts related to Google updates including backlinks, PageRank or the SERPs.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

Any website may move up or down based on a variety of things that may be occurring. How you search has a big influence on your results due to Google's personalized search feature. Google results are not the same in all data centers. So this may cause you to get different results as well.

Whether the site is new or not will possibly play a role as well.

Also there is no sandbox. Google often ranks new website highly as it favors fresh content. These sites disappear very quickly usually within a few weeks.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 PM

When is Google next PR indexing?

I had done off-page optimization past few weeks and created a lot of backlinks. But Google seems like didn't crawl my site for long long time.

I wondering when is Google next PR indexing?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

Minor Pr updates can be frequently seen ..but major PR update come once in 6 months..

Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaismirza22 View Post
Minor Pr updates can be frequently seen ..but major PR update come once in 6 months..
I ask this with all due respect, do you have evidence of this? Can you provide a credible resource? Or, did you just pop this off the top of your head?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

Also there is no sandbox. Google often ranks new website highly as it favors fresh content. These sites disappear very quickly usually within a few weeks.
I'm confused. You say there is no sandbox, but then you described what we call the sandbox.

If you Google 'sandbox google' you will certainly find of lot of SEO experts who say it does.

If you don't think it exists, I would like to know what you think we should call it when new sites with fresh content appear in the SERPs and then drop from site.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
I'm confused. You say there is no sandbox, but then you described what we call the sandbox.

If you Google 'sandbox google' you will certainly find of lot of SEO experts who say it does.

If you don't think it exists, I would like to know what you think we should call it when new sites with fresh content appear in the SERPs and then drop from site.
You have every right to be confused. There is a lot of outdated SEO information floating around. It is this way mainly because those that made money on these practices want to continue to make money. A good example of this is search engine submission services. They were useful where there were thousands of search engines and there was no dominate SE's.

This need began to disappear when Google began to become dominate of 10 years ago. Yet, these services are still available today.

As for the sandbox, you have a misunderstanding of how this was supposed to work. Website were supposed to be sent there for anywhere from 6 - 12 months until they began to rank and not rank and disappear.

This however does not match up with the fact that search engines appreciate fresh content and reward sites often with higher rankings when it is added.

Now, there may have been a sandbox at one time, but I can safely say that I have not seen this since I got into internet marketing in 2006. I have launched a dozen or so sites and none of them was ever sandboxed.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
You have every right to be confused. There is a lot of outdated SEO information floating around. It is this way mainly because those that made money on these practices want to continue to make money. A good example of this is search engine submission services. They were useful where there were thousands of search engines and there was no dominate SE's.

This need began to disappear when Google began to become dominate of 10 years ago. Yet, these services are still available today.

As for the sandbox, you have a misunderstanding of how this was supposed to work. Website were supposed to be sent there for anywhere from 6 - 12 months until they began to rank and not rank and disappear.

This however does not match up with the fact that search engines appreciate fresh content and reward sites often with higher rankings when it is added.

Now, there may have been a sandbox at one time, but I can safely say that I have not seen this since I got into internet marketing in 2006. I have launched a dozen or so sites and none of them was ever sandboxed.

I would love some corroboration on that. I've been doing this since 1997 and I have certainly observed phenomena that looks like a sandbox effect. Matt Cutts did say in 2005 that there was some relevance factors in the algo that didn't apply to all industries, but that did look like a 'sandbox effect." Nonetheless, others seem to still observe it.

I haven't launched a new site in a few years; most of what I do is redesign of old sites and consulting, but I certainly hear a lot of other professionals observe what they call a sandbox effect.

See:http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/020877.html

And, btw, I wasn't confused about PageRank; I was confused by the dichotomy within the statement I quoted.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
I would love some corroboration on that. I've been doing this since 1997 and I have certainly observed phenomena that looks like a sandbox effect. Matt Cutts did say in 2005 that there was some relevance factors in the algo that didn't apply to all industries, but that did look like a 'sandbox effect." Nonetheless, others seem to still observe it.

I haven't launched a new site in a few years; most of what I do is redesign of old sites and consulting, but I certainly hear a lot of other professionals observe what they call a sandbox effect.

See:http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/020877.html

And, btw, I wasn't confused about PageRank; I was confused by the dichotomy within the statement I quoted.
Great comment by the way. I love to see others calling people out when they make such obviously bad comments... Kuddos to you. I often will also ask where is your evidence and rightly so!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller View Post
Hi,
I think Google Buzz is the latest update.
This thread is about PageRank talk and not about Googles new programs.

Re-read Cricket's first reply and the rest of the posts.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Closed Thread