Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-15-2010, 03:02 AM
v7n Mentor

Is Google Evil?

Is Google truly evil?

After reading about Google's recent announcement that they are testing a new broadband service and Google - The Hungry Beast Trying Very Hard Not To Be Evil I read another article from Valleywag:

Six Delusions of Google's Arrogant Leaders
Quote:
Eric Schmidt's comments at the Abu Dhabi "media summit" certainly sound especially cocky even considering the Google CEO's past haughty pronouncements. Schmidt, Fortune reports, implied Google is more trustworthy than any government on the planet after he was was asked asked about the company's worrisome stash of private data on its users, Schmidt :

"All this information that you have about us... Does that scare everyone in this room?" The questioner asked... "Would you prefer someone else?" Schmidt shot back... "Is there a government that you would prefer to be in charge of this?"

Schmidt also said Google has been known to curb its own creepy impulses:

"There are many, many things that Google could do, that we chose not to do... One day we had a conversation where we figured we could just try to predict the stock market. And then we decided it was illegal. So we stopped doing that."

Fortune wonders if Schmidt's comments are a sign of "a dangerous culture of self-righteousness." They are.
Why did Matt Cutts respond to this article on his blog? Clarifying a couple points

So, is Google evil? I spent a portion of my free time this week-end reading Google's 2009 10-K and was not a bit surprised at their ambitious goals and who they view as their competitors:

Quote:
Competition

Our business is characterized by rapid change and converging, as well as new and disruptive, technologies. We face formidable competition in every aspect of our business, particularly from companies that seek to connect people with information on the web and provide them with relevant advertising. We face competition from:

• Traditional search engines, such as Yahoo! Inc. and Microsoft Corporation’s Bing.

• Vertical search engines and e-commerce sites, such as WebMD (for health queries), Kayak (travel queries), Monster.com (job queries), and Amazon.com and eBay (commerce). We compete with these sites because they, like us, are trying to attract users to their web sites to search for product or service information, and some users will navigate directly to those sites rather than go through Google.

• Social networks, such as Facebook, Yelp, or Twitter. Some users are relying more on social networks for product or service referrals, rather than seeking information through traditional search engines.

• Other forms of advertising. We compete against traditional forms of advertising—such as television, radio, newspapers, magazines, billboards, and yellow pages—for ad dollars.

• Mobile applications. As the mobile application ecosystem develops further, users are increasingly accessing e-commerce and other sites through those companies’ stand-alone mobile applications, instead of through search engines.

• Providers of online products and services. We also provide a number of online products and services, including Gmail, YouTube, and Google Docs, that compete directly with new and established companies that offer communication, information, and entertainment services integrated into their products or media properties.
The way I see it, Google views everyone as their competition. Google wants to control everything, from your OS, your browser, your email and chat clients, your online entertainment, news, online shopping, mobile apps, to your online medical records and social networking.

We face intense competition.

Quote:
Our business is rapidly evolving and intensely competitive, and is subject to changing technology, shifting user needs and frequent introductions of new products and services. We have many competitors in different industries, including traditional search engines, vertical search engines and e-commerce sites, social networking sites, traditional media companies, and providers of online products and services. Our current and potential competitors range from large and established companies to emerging start-ups. Established companies have longer operating histories and more established relationships with customers and end users, and they can use their experience and resources against us in a variety of competitive ways, including by making acquisitions, investing aggressively in research and development, and competing aggressively for advertisers and web sites. Emerging start-ups may be able to innovate and provide products and services faster than we can. If our competitors are more successful than we are in developing compelling products or in attracting and retaining users, advertisers, and content providers, our revenues and growth rates could decline.
In short, Google wants to control the Internet.

And I find that to be very evil.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 03:52 AM
Banned

they're makin its way to remain as the top company...they'll continue to launch more good features and services

Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

i like all their products ! there are very simple to use! it make my life easier! i earn money with them, made friends, is the best! As long they keep doing a great job online i have nothing against them!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

I think it depends on how it affects one personally, as a business etc. They have, just like other large corporates, their good points and bad points.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Well, competition isn't really evil. I guess that's what Google is trying to do. Hopefully those guys don't meet someone who can literally beat them in the search engine fight!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 AM

Everyone who is at the top in his field take steps to strengthen its position at top. This sometime seems wired to others.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Well, as for me, I don't mind using the help of this " evil monster", and really happy to learn of some new features it has gained

Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 AM

indeed googles try to control everything.i wonder how powerful will they become ?if we think,they have so much power now..but how much will they have in the future ? just think..to control the virtual space

Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 AM

Then, I am now making money with evil hahaha.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

It depends on your interpretation about Google.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 AM
v7n Mentor

Well if people thought they were evil, they should cease using them and use Yahoo, or any other search engine. The problem is that at this point in time, Google is the best and as such, used by the majority of people.

Wether Google is evil, i dont think so......but any company that commands such a strong point, in any market or field, can certainly become uncaring, harsh and arrogant.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonomura View Post
Then, I am now making money with evil hahaha.
nice very nice
i don't think that Google is Evil .......

Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Well if people thought they were evil, they should cease using them and use Yahoo, or any other search engine. The problem is that at this point in time, Google is the best and as such, used by the majority of people.

Wether Google is evil, i dont think so......but any company that commands such a strong point, in any market or field, can certainly become uncaring, harsh and arrogant.
Right! If Google is Evil, then it will not crawl our sites pages. Infact, since Google was created, lots of people in different countries got a Job.

Google cares.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CReed View Post
Schmidt also said Google has been known to curb its own creepy impulses:

"There are many, many things that Google could do, that we chose not to do... One day we had a conversation where we figured we could just try to predict the stock market. And then we decided it was illegal. So we stopped doing that."

Fortune wonders if Schmidt's comments are a sign of "a dangerous culture of self-righteousness." They are.
Since when is getting an idea then deciding that it wouldn't be right and not doing it self-righteous? As far as I can see that kind of attitude is more "evil".

Google is not a big machine. An entity. It's a bunch of guys showing up every morning with mugs of coffee who order pizza at 1 in the morning working like a bunch of mad men with ugly shoes to do a good job.

Like all engineering and software companies. (Been there, done that.)

Thinking that Google is actually evil is just veiled jealousy. And it's insulting to capabilities of their competition - I think Amazon and Ebay are doing just fine. And in the heat of competition are probably better off.

Google is driven and innovative - not evil.

Let's not impose the new little league mantra that everyone is a winner and there is no such thing as losing or second place on commerce.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:19 AM

For me as long as it is not trying to control all businesses in the internet, ecommerce realying solely on internet I'd say Google is not evil. It just so happen that they want to expand vertically and at the same time horizontally.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 AM

^Just as I've said, anyone here who have experienced being hurt by Google (business wise of course)

Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Google is driven and innovative - not evil.
Right. It's not their fault to be versatile.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

I appreciate all of their hard work. I use Google tools every day. In choosing to have an online business I have gone into agreement with Google as a business partner.

It is funny how we can nit pick those who are successful. They aren't allowed to look at their competition. Or makes plans to grow.

If you are scared about Google gathering your information - don't use it. I would be much more concerned with what the Government would do with the data since we have given them right to do as they would like, when we signed the Patriot Act. And you might take a look at the contract you sign when you sign up for Facebook, and take a look at who is running it.

There is no doubt there is more concern with privacy with this new information age. The broader our ability to get into communication brings in broader communication. It is always a good idea to take every precaution you can to protect yourself and that includes what data you are giving Google.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

It seems Google is going to touch anything possible in the cyber space, no matter how they cost or what perspectives are to maintain. Let's wait and then talk about the results.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Funny how it took Goolge 4 years to realize that they were inadvertent collecting personal data off of Wi-Fi networks.

Google claims they only became aware of the mistake in the past week, after telling a German regulator that it was not collecting such information.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Closed Thread