Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 03-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Do you get penalized for selling links?

What is google's ruling on selling links? And how do they know which links are paid and which are, for example, link exchanges?

For example, I run a football blog and have just sold one text link to an online bookmaker. Will I be marked down by google for that?

Does the nofollow attribute play a part? And do different rules apply to wordpress blogs? Is the nofollow attribute set by default on WP?

Any information is welcome.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Not all paid links violate our guidelines. Buying and selling links is a normal part of the economy of the web when done for advertising purposes, and not for manipulation of search results. Links purchased for advertising should be designated as such. This can be done in several ways, such as:

•Adding a rel="nofollow" attribute to the <a> tag
•Redirecting the links to an intermediate page that is blocked from search engines with a robots.txt file

Google works hard to ensure that it fully discounts links intended to manipulate search engine results, such excessive link exchanges and purchased links that pass PageRank. If you see a site that is buying or selling links that pass PageRank, let us know. We'll use your information to improve our algorithmic detection of such links.
Please read the complete answer here: Paid links - Google

Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Administrator

What will happen to paid links implemented using JavaScript?

Quote:
GoogleWebmasterHelp — September 17, 2009 — Magico from London, UK asks:

"Now that Google can crawl JavaScript links, what is going to happen with all those paid links that were behind JavaScript code? Will Google start penalising them?"
[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mmoHmfy5AcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mmoHmfy5AcQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Administrator

What types of directories are seen as sources of paid links?

Quote:
GoogleWebmasterHelp — June 17, 2009 — Fábio Ricotta from Brazil asks:

"Will Google consider Yahoo! Directory and BOTW as source of paid links? If no, why is this different from another site that sell links?"

Recorded on April 23, 2009.
[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Pu1YWcIh04&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Pu1YWcIh04&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to htmlbasictutor again.
Thanks mate.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Well, a variety of scenarios might happen. Based on the quality of websites they might not run into problems since in most cases instead of penalties they may simply lose their PR values.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

I think you can sell a few links without Google to notice it...
But you need to sell them to a site which has a PR almost like yours...
If you have a PR 6 site and give a link to some PR 1 sites..Google will understand you sold links

Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

^^totally agree.. google still getting some hard time identifying sites that sell or offer paid links.. specially if its relevant link and you transact verbally..

Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

How does google differentiate between sold links and for example a 3 way link exchange?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretty View Post
What is google's ruling on selling links? And how do they know which links are paid and which are, for example, link exchanges
You can get banned if you sell dofollow links. You can do it but in order to avoid bans you should use the rel="nofollow" attribute.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmuslimboy View Post
How can Google find out if you`re selling links at all?
Google makes it easy for people to report sites. Google can not see all but will investigate the reports. I am sure they have there own forms of finding out sites violating there rules. https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/paidlinks

Here is a blog post from Matt Cutts about this.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

This link may help also http://helot.org/2008/01/04/how-does...selling-links/

Last edited by snakeair; 03-31-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Paid Content: the New Paid Link

Speaking of selling links.... here is a good article from the seobook.com blog about all this. Very good information in this blog post. It's a bit long so have a cup of coffee on hand while reading this one.

Quote:
Buying links is considered spammy by Google because it is a ranking short cut which subverts search relevancy algorithms.

And so Google considers it a black hat SEO practice.

Links are somewhat hard to scale because (outside of those who create a network of spam) it is time intensive to find the right sites, negotiate a price, and then ensure appropriate placement. It requires interacting with many webmasters & going through a lot of rejections to get a few yes responses. Due to scale limitations, paid links typically only exert a slight influence on core industry keywords and common variations, limiting any potential relevancy damage.

Further, when a person buys a...
Continued at: Paid Content

Does anyone have any comments about what's been mentioned in this blog post?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

3 of my health blogs are under Googles punishment for selling links. Google has a way to find the selling of links, but if you sell links strictly on your niche I think it is not a problem as my other blogs are not punished despite selling links (relevent links).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretty View Post
What is google's ruling on selling links? And how do they know which links are paid and which are, for example, link exchanges?

For example, I run a football blog and have just sold one text link to an online bookmaker. Will I be marked down by google for that?

Does the nofollow attribute play a part? And do different rules apply to wordpress blogs? Is the nofollow attribute set by default on WP?

Any information is welcome.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM

What can you do when Google does penalize you for selling links?

Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddavis View Post
What can you do when Google does penalize you for selling links?
Have the links to you removed or a no-follow attribute added - and you might want to double check to make sure you are not violating any other of Google's webmaster guidelines. When you are sure your site is clean and the paid link issue resolved, apply to Google for reinclusion:

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35843

The page includes a video with tips for those who have been penalized for buying links or other violations of the guidelines.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:54 PM
v7n Mentor

I may get accused of not knowing what i'm talking about, but, personally I feel that Google only have a concern when the link purchase is made to obviously manipulate serps or Pr.

I firmly believe that Google are not concerned if "Blue Widget Sales Pty" buys an advertsining link from "Widget Sales Inc". What concerns them is when "Blue Widget Sales Pty Ltd" buys a link from "Joes Washing Machines", as there is no relevence, no quality of traffic etc.

The only reason for purchase is Pr juice, hence, it may get devalued.

Just my thoughts

Old 04-11-2010, 12:09 AM

I know of a lot of paid link services that still exist today after many years. They are very popular too.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Banned

I don't think you are allowed to sell links unless you are own a directory. Ask Google to double check but I think that is correct.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
I may get accused of not knowing what i'm talking about, but, personally I feel that Google only have a concern when the link purchase is made to obviously manipulate serps or Pr.

I firmly believe that Google are not concerned if "Blue Widget Sales Pty" buys an advertsining link from "Widget Sales Inc". What concerns them is when "Blue Widget Sales Pty Ltd" buys a link from "Joes Washing Machines", as there is no relevence, no quality of traffic etc.

The only reason for purchase is Pr juice, hence, it may get devalued.

Just my thoughts

You're right, Snooks. Google is only concerned with link buys that are made to manipulate SERPs. If you buy links for traffic, Google doesn't care if it's relevant or not - that's your look out. But Google does want paid links to be denoted clearly as paid links.

From http://www.google.com/support/webmas...&answer=66736:

Quote:
Not all paid links violate our guidelines. Buying and selling links is a normal part of the economy of the web when done for advertising purposes, and not for manipulation of search results. Links purchased for advertising should be designated as such. This can be done in several ways, such as:
  • Adding a rel="nofollow" attribute to the <a> tag
  • Redirecting the links to an intermediate page that is blocked from search engines with a robots.txt file
So, Google doesn't care if Blue Widget Sales Pty buys a link from *any* site - relevant or not, as long as the paid link is denoted as such.

It is actually the responsibility of the webmaster who is buying the links to make sure the paid links are properly denoted -- that is, if one doesn't want to risk a penalty.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
Have the links to you removed or a no-follow attribute added - and you might want to double check to make sure you are not violating any other of Google's webmaster guidelines. When you are sure your site is clean and the paid link issue resolved, apply to Google for reinclusion:

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35843

The page includes a video with tips for those who have been penalized for buying links or other violations of the guidelines.
And you can also add a robot.txt file to prevent search engine spiders from indexng them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum