Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
As already well noted, by Google's design, you can never know what your PageRank, or that of others, truly is.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 AM
mjtaylor's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-01-10
Location: Key West/Asheville
Posts: 5,424
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerfranken View Post
Its quite irritating some says to Toolbar as Foolbar what is it? If it is so then how can I check my website page rank well?
Is it right to say so as the first reply comes this thread?
You cannot accurately know your PageRank. Via the Fool/Tool Bar you can only know what might have been the PR of a page in the past. This Search Engine Watch article should provide further clarity: http://searchenginewatch.com/3642190.
__________________
Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter at your service.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.
 
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Mel's Avatar
Mel Mel is offline
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 2,029
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Lightbulb Ahhh...Pagerank

Hey MJ what a great post! Kudos (and rep) to you and Deepsand for your further comments, I love the fact that you say over and over that we simply do not know many things about Pagerank, but I would like to take a minor exception or two if I may?

First off PageRank is not some ill-defined algo, it is in fact patented and the main points of the algo are defined in the patent, which incidentally is not even owned by Google but by the Trustees of Stanford University, who have leased the rights to Google. So when folks talk about Pagerank and the many modifications which have been made to it they are not really talking about Pagerank but similar processes that Google uses in ranking pages. (Splitting hairs I know, but it's easy to get confused when discussing PageRank.)

But the term PageRank has entered into the public consciousness and has come to stand (in the eyes of the public and even some SEOs) for that portion of Google's ranking algo related to links. Even Matt Cutts talks about PageRank in sort of well... ambiguous terms that could lead you down the garden path.

Bringing up the subject of Matt Cutts, I am sure he is a nice fellow and all that but I am even more sure that Google do not pay him to drop clues about their secret algos. I have tried to master the geekspeak corporate language which he uses, but no joy. So I read what he has to say, file it away for future consideration but never take any of it at face value.

MJ, you mentioned that pageRank is still an important part of Googles ranking algo, and I must register my concerns with that.

From Day One Pagerank only came into play as a ranking tiebreaker after the relevancy portions were calculated, and (Matt Cutts notwithstanding) in my opinion I think people are seeing the ranking effects of the links that create Pagerank and are mistakenly attributing the resultant rankings to PageRank.

I used to be a site admin at the webworkshop.net forums (Bought over and renamed a couple of years ago) and it used to be a real fount of PageRank information. There are still some excellent articles there such as this one on Google and Inbound Links (http://www.webworkshop.net/google-an...und-links.html) which are always good to read.
 
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 06-05-11
Posts: 52
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Lightbulb Best Ways to Get Page Rank

When it comes to search engine optimization, having a high authority site is a plus. However, what are the best ways to achieve such a goal?

Well here are some tips that I have gathered over the last five years as a SEO:

1. When looking for Page Rank 0 links, be sure they are from A LOT of different sites. For example, having a link in one forum will not give you a lot of link juice. Now, adding your link to the profile page of, say, one hundred forums will almost guarantee you a Page Rank 1 for your site or blog.

2. Asking for link exchange will give you some Page Rank depending on who you get a link from. For example, if the site is a Page Rank 5, then it will probably be counted as a Page Rank 2. This is because usually the PR is cut in half due to you having their link on your site as well. Hey, a PR 2 link is still better than nothing, eh?

3. Article directories are great Page Rank 0 links as they have a lot of content surrounded by them. This looks natural for the search engines and gives your site or blog a high trust rating!

4. Submitting to social bookmarking sites like Twitter or Facebook are equally as important for Page Rank. Why you may ask? Well, a no follow link is just as important as a do follow link believe it or not! A site or blog with too many do follow links is considered spammy and may be unlisted from the front page listings.

5. Finally, and probably the most obvious tip, is to get links from high authority blogs. Do not think that a blogroll link is as good as a blog post link though. Blog post links look a whole lot more natural. In fact, Matt Cutts of Google has explained that Google's algorithm sees blogrolls links as almost paid links, and sometimes does not count them at all! (This is only speculation though, so do not panic).

Well, those are some of my Page Rank tips for some of you beginners out there trying to figure out how to add more authority to your site or blog. Feel free to share any of your Page Rank tips as well.
 
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelreyes View Post
2. Asking for link exchange will give you some Page Rank depending on who you get a link from. For example, if the site is a Page Rank 5, then it will probably be counted as a Page Rank 2. This is because usually the PR is cut in half due to you having their link on your site as well.
No such off-setting happens, as an OBL does not reduce the PR of the source page by other than an infinitesimally small amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelreyes View Post
3. Article directories are great Page Rank 0 links as they have a lot of content surrounded by them. This looks natural for the search engines and gives your site or blog a high trust rating!
Immaterial to the calculation of PageRank. All that here counts is the PR of the source page that is passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelreyes View Post
4. Submitting to social bookmarking sites like Twitter or Facebook are equally as important for Page Rank. Why you may ask? Well, a no follow link is just as important as a do follow link believe it or not!
"nofollow" links are excluded from the PageRank calculation matrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelreyes View Post
5. Finally, and probably the most obvious tip, is to get links from high authority blogs.
Immaterial to the calculation of PageRank. See item no. 3.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
findyourartschool's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 06-07-11
Location: India
Posts: 90
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Well I do want to know that is is really the fact that PR doesn't have even a bit of effect on ranking?
 
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 AM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by findyourartschool View Post
Well I do want to know that is is really the fact that PR doesn't have even a bit of effect on ranking?

PageRank
is a factor incorporated into the SERP algorithm.

And, while Google has never publicly provided any information as to how heavily it is weighted, we do know that it was originally very important; and, the fact that Google still calculates such on a continual basis strongly suggests that it import is not minor.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 AM
CyberKSystems's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 05-28-11
Location: Germany
Posts: 80
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
Absolutely, you can gain PageRank from any page whether it's PR1 or PR8. If if has PageRank to pass and the link to your site is followed, your site will gain.

In fact, a page with PR1 with only one outbound link to your site, will pass more PageRank to you than a site with PR4 and 10 OBLs will.
Ok, based on that then I have questions. My website has several PR5, PR3 and Pr1 sites linking back to it. I am the webmaster for them. My link is in the footer of every website. My site is also 3 years old. With that... why is my PR still at Zero. FOr the life of me, I can not figure what I am doing wrong. Also if PR is not worth so much then why does v7n sell a link for $50 ? Just questions. Web master or not, I can do SEO but the PR system is eluding me.
__________________
Ken Hibberd
CyberK Systems

http://cyber-k.com
Computer Repair & Web Services

HostGorilla
WebHosting & TurnKey Products
A HOSTGATOR RESELLER
 
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKSystems View Post
Ok, based on that then I have questions. My website has several PR5, PR3 and Pr1 sites linking back to it. I am the webmaster for them. My link is in the footer of every website. My site is also 3 years old. With that... why is my PR still at Zero.
Simply put, you haven't enough inbound links.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 PM
CyberKSystems's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 05-28-11
Location: Germany
Posts: 80
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Inbound Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
Simply put, you haven't enough inbound links.

__________________
THankyou for putting it simple, but I prefer the detailed complicated version.
__________________
Ken Hibberd
CyberK Systems

http://cyber-k.com
Computer Repair & Web Services

HostGorilla
WebHosting & TurnKey Products
A HOSTGATOR RESELLER
 
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKSystems View Post
THankyou for putting it simple, but I prefer the detailed complicated version.
What "detailed complicated version?"

Actual PageRank (PR) values are never observable; and, Toolbar PR data are both static and a non-linear mapping of actual PR.

Therefore, no more than generalities can be had.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: 12-18-09
Posts: 30
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Excellent debate and useful interaction.

One thing I would like to say that get vareity of backlinks and instead of getting footer backlinks from your own site, that might be hosted on the same server or closer.
 
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandeylm View Post
Excellent debate and useful interaction.

One thing I would like to say that get vareity of backlinks and instead of getting footer backlinks from your own site, that might be hosted on the same server or closer.
Where a link is located on a page, and where the page is hosted are immaterial to the calculation of PageRank.

Perhaps a reading of the mathematical expression that defines the PageRank function will serve to convince.



where :
  • p1,p2,...,pN are the pages under consideration;
  • M(pi) is the set of pages that link to pi;
  • L(pj) is the number of outbound links on page pj;
  • d is the damping factor; and,
  • N is the total number of pages.

A purely mechanistic calculation, with the only variables controllable by either the source or target of a link being the link counts themselves.

Nothing else matters re. PageRank.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2011, 12:59 PM
denysaputra's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 05-13-11
Location: Surakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 486
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I los my PR! After about 1 years my blog PR is 1. But I don't know, why was decreased. And lately feel so hard to get improving my blog PR
__________________
PM to get special coupon for highly targeted & qualified site visitors that converts at Getwebsitetraffic.org Trusted & superb! Go to our Fan page and find the surprise!
 
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2011, 03:08 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by denysaputra View Post
I los my PR! After about 1 years my blog PR is 1. But I don't know, why was decreased. And lately feel so hard to get improving my blog PR
Each time a newly indexed page is added to the PR calculation matrix, the actual PR values of all other pages fall.

Each time that a page gets a new inbound link (IBL), the actual PR values of all other pages fall.

Absent a continual gain of IBLs, a page's PR will steadily decline.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2011, 12:58 PM
mjtaylor's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-01-10
Location: Key West/Asheville
Posts: 5,424
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Clarity From Google On The "Foolbar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerfranken View Post
Its quite irritating some says to Toolbar as Foolbar what is it? If it is so then how can I check my website page rank well?
Is it right to say so as the first reply comes this thread?
If I understand your question correctly, you are asking for corroboration that the Toolbar can also, quite accurately, be called the Foolbar. From the Google Webmaster Central Blog post, Beyond PageRank: Graduating to actionable metrics (my bold):

Quote:
The focus on PageRank as a success metric only works if you assume that a higher PageRank results in better ranking, then assume that that will drive more traffic to your site, then assume that that will lead to more people doing-whatever-you-want-them-to-do on your site. On top of these assumptions, remember that we only update the PageRank displayed on the Google Toolbar a few times a year, and we may lower the PageRank displayed for some sites if we believe they’re engaging in spammy practices. So the PR you see publicly is different from the number our algorithm actually uses for ranking.
If you want to check your website, try using a metric that is obtainable and useful. Google Webmaster Trends Analyst Susan Moskwa offers several suggestions on more reliable metrics. Read the entire post: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...uating-to.html.

And thanks to HTMLBasicTutor who posted about this in our SEO Tip thread.
__________________
Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter at your service.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.
 
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 AM
snakeair's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Southampton, NJ
Posts: 49,518
iTrader: 3 / 100%
What is Google's PageRank Good For? - Whiteboard Friday

Whiteboard Friday video that's a good one to watch.

Quote:
Sure, PageRank is older than Emperor Palpatine, but a lot of SEOs still use it as their primary metric for link research and rankability. Unfortunately, using PageRank exclusively to measure progress and page value can yield results as ugly as the Emperor's face. Since Google updates PageRank so sporadically, you may not get an accurate picture of a page's actual value. That being said, Google updated PageRank late June and a lot of SEOs are talking about it! After all, it's not a completely useless metric. Rand covers some of the uses for PageRank in this week's Whiteboard Friday..
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/what-is-g...teboard-friday
__________________
WP Outcast - WordPress News, Tips & Theme Release's

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast
 
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 10-25-11
Posts: 1
iTrader: 0 / 0%
You can gain PageRank from any page whether it's PR1 or PR8. If if has PageRank to pass and the link to your site is followed, your site will gain.

A page with PR1 with only one outbound link to your site, will pass more PageRank to you than a site with PR4 and 10 OBLs will.
 
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
deepsand's Avatar
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-14-10
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 14,946
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexy123 View Post
A page with PR1 with only one outbound link to your site, will pass more PageRank to you than a site with PR4 and 10 OBLs will.
Given that Toolbar PR is not a linear algebraic mapping of Actual PR - TBPRs 4 & 10 do not represent Actual PR values that are 4 & 10 times that of a TBPR 1 page - there's no way to know which is the more valuable.

Furthermore, it is not the number of OBLs that here count, but the total no. of all links on the sourcing page.

__________________
__________________
While each is entitled to his own opinion, no one is entitled to his own "facts."
 
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Dow Jones Today

 
Join Date: 11-09-11
Location: Sofia
Posts: 210
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Hi guys! I came accross an interesting picture and would like to share it here. I shows how many links are needed for a certain PR level to be acieved:
Attached Thumbnails
Page Rank: What It Is, What It Isn’t and How To Get Some-table-google-pagerank.jpg  
__________________
free e-mail providers.

Some cool online stories about big entrepreneurs and their ideas on my homepage.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between page rank and toolbar page rank ashokkumar Google Forum 59 10-14-2011 04:35 PM
yahoo rank is first page but google rank does not appear seovery Google Forum 27 07-28-2011 02:25 AM
Question about page rank....and Page content - This site ranks well but WHY? jpf566 SEO Forum 5 03-27-2008 05:16 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Escalate Media




Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.