Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowjoetod View Post
Hi guys! I came accross an interesting picture and would like to share it here. I shows how many links are needed for a certain PR level to be acieved:
Very interesting. Please post the source link.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 11-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Dow Jones Today

This pic was on my computer's hard drives, and I don't remember where I found it, unfortunately... I would have posted the link otherwise...

Some cool online stories about big entrepreneurs and their ideas on my homepage.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Hi guys! I came accross an interesting picture and would like to share it here. I shows how many links are needed for a certain PR level to be acieved:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Very interesting. Please post the source link.
Quote:
This pic was on my computer's hard drives, and I don't remember where I found it, unfortunately... I would have posted the link otherwise...
Don't waste any time looking for it, as it, along with all other such, are garbage.
  • There is no way to determine actual PR.
  • There is no fixed number of links required to attain any PR value, as a review of the mathematical function that defines PR wil show.

Such charts and lists are the work of those who don't know and understand the underlying mathematics and/or are trying to make others believe that they're experts.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Dow Jones Today

Yes, PR is a dinamic value and it's relative! But this table gives an idea of how the system works.

Some cool online stories about big entrepreneurs and their ideas on my homepage.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Yes, PR is a dinamic value and it's relative! But this table gives an idea of how the system works.
It does no such thing. It's just a collection of useless data presented in a misleading form.

The only thing that explains "how the system works" is this.

where:
  • p1,p2,...,pN are the pages under consideration;
  • M(pi) is the set of pages that link to pi;
  • L(pj) is the number of outbound links on page pj;
  • d is the damping factor; and,
  • N is the total number of pages.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 AM

Thanks for sharing this information to all of us here. I am just thinking if page rank really matters a lot nowadays. Although everyone was so excited everytime Google made an update I was also wondering why there are some sites that don't have much pr but the traffic is really great. On the other hand, there are sites wherein PR 4 and up but the traffic is quite poor. Anyone have an idea?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasina View Post
Thanks for sharing this information to all of us here. I am just thinking if page rank really matters a lot nowadays. Although everyone was so excited everytime Google made an update I was also wondering why there are some sites that don't have much pr but the traffic is really great. On the other hand, there are sites wherein PR 4 and up but the traffic is quite poor. Anyone have an idea?
Quite simple, really.

High SERP rank does not guarantee traffic.

And, with PR being but one of over 200 factors in the SERP algorithm, high PR does not guarantee high SERP rank.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
Quite simple, really.

high PR does not guarantee high SERP rank.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia_la View Post
You are right but there mostly high PR websites in top.
But, which is cause and which effect?

It is not necessarily the case that a page owes its high SERP rank to its PageRank. In fact, it may be the other way around, that its high PR owes to its enjoying high SERP rank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia_la View Post
I think PR matters at keeping position in SERP.
While that is no doubt true, it is also the case that PR no longer carries the weight that it did in Google's earlier years, owing to its being too easily manipulated.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM

This was SUCH a valuable sticky to me. So I am a new SEO'er and I believe research on a topic is the best way to learn the good/bad ways to put forth a strategy. Currently our business PR is PR3, most of our direct competitors are PR5-7. When I look at their site and content we have very similar sites in that regards. However they are older companies and have had many more press releases, articles, etc written about them. The past 3 months we have had much more press, blogs, etc write about us. Do you think its possible for our PR3 site to jump to a PR5 in the next Google update?

Thank You

Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpay View Post
This was SUCH a valuable sticky to me. So I am a new SEO'er and I believe research on a topic is the best way to learn the good/bad ways to put forth a strategy. Currently our business PR is PR3, most of our direct competitors are PR5-7. When I look at their site and content we have very similar sites in that regards. However they are older companies and have had many more press releases, articles, etc written about them. The past 3 months we have had much more press, blogs, etc write about us. Do you think its possible for our PR3 site to jump to a PR5 in the next Google update?
Possible; but, wholly unpredictable. Not only does your PR depend on your in-bound links, it also depend on the totality of all pages and links indexed by Google.

More importantly, it's immaterial, as Google does not use Toolbar PR, but rather actual PR, value range 0 to 1, which is continually updated and never publicly revealed.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

People say that the new page rank system will bring us only 2 updates yearly. Others say, they will improve it and only one update will happen. However, according to some seo guys, page rank has no longer the same power, as before. But, I think there should be some sort of ranking system that can help people have a general idea about the website :/

Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gura View Post
People say that the new page rank system will bring us only 2 updates yearly. Others say, they will improve it and only one update will happen.
There is no "new page rank system."

Actual PageRank, decimal value range 0 to 1, has been, and will continue to be, continuously updated, as it is what is used for SERP rank purposes. Toolbar PR, integer value range 0 to 10, has never been updated on any regularly scheduled basis, and probably will not be so, as it's a computationally intensive task that Google does not need to do, as it's not used for anything other than display in the Google Toolbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gura View Post
However, according to some seo guys, page rank has no longer the same power, as before. But, I think there should be some sort of ranking system that can help people have a general idea about the website :/
PageRank is not a measure of Google's evaluation of a site, by simply a measure of popularity of individuals pages.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hi guys! I came across an interesting picture and would like to share it here. I shows how many links are needed for a certain PR level to be acieved:
Picture telling the wrong story !! because i have a blog with Page Rank 2 but i don't think so that i have created that much of links for it, it has probably 9 Links or less than that, According to Google Webmaster Tools (Recently checked stats). I wonder after creating 5k backlinks - Bots seriously gonna put that site into a sandbox. However, i am not completely denying the thumbnail though.

Last edited by sanusense; 08-21-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanusense View Post
Picture telling the wrong story !!
As noted in post #63, such charts are nonsense.

Quote:
... because i have a blog with Page Rank 2 but i don't think so that i have created that much of links for it, it has probably 9 Links or less than that, According to Google Webmaster Tools (Recently checked stats).
WMT does not report all of the inbound links that Google has discovered. If you've a page with Toolbar PR 2 then either it has more than 9 inbound links or the Toolbar data are corrupted.

Quote:
I wonder after creating 5k backlinks - Bots seriously gonna put that site into a sandbox.
Not only is there no sandbox, but having 10s of thousands to 100s of thousands of inbound links is neither unusual nor problematic.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrysmith View Post
Any idea when Google will update PR? I personally consider PR to be dead. But.. Seems you're well versed on PR. Would love to hear whether or not Google will still use it in their algorithm and if they are planning to continue with this worthless metric, will the update within the next 30 days?
As has been stated numerous times, by many people, both here at V7N and elsewhere, Toolbar PR (TBPR) has never been updated on a regularly scheduled basis, and never publicly announced in advance by Google.

And, since it is actual PR, value range 0 to 1, not TBPR, value range 0 to 11, that is used by the SERP algorithm, whether or not TBPR is updated is immaterial to SERP rank.

Finally, in light of the great and continuing effort that Google puts into identifying and neutralizing efforts to manipulate PR, it must logically be concluded that PR does indeed to play an important tole in the SERP algorithm.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum