Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Page Rank: What It Is, What It Isn’t and How To Get Some

PageRank: What It Is

Page Rank (not to be confused with where a page ranks in the free results*) is a much-misunderstood factor in Google's algorithm. Let's try and look at what we know and don't know about PageRank.

PageRank (PR) is a calculation, based on incoming links, of Google’s estimation of the importance of a page. It is expressed on a scale of 0-10 in the toolbar, with ten being more important. Actual PR is calculated on a scale of 0-1.

Legend has it that PageRank was named after Google founder Larry Page, who theorized that links to a page were analogous to citations in scholarly journals. In other words, a link from another page indicated the value of a page. Another way to look at it was as a vote of confidence in a page.

PageRank: What It Isn't

*PageRank is not the same thing as the rank of a page in the free results. It’s a common misconception because the words are the same but think of it like this: a page can rank in all of the search engines, but it only has PageRank in Google.

PageRank is not the be-all-end-all of SEO. It is not what you should be chasing. It is not the best indicator of a site’s value – even if you are buying links.

PageRank: What It Was and What It Is Today

PageRank was the central formula that set Google apart from other search engines. This wiki does a good job of explaining how Page Rank was originally calculated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank.

As Google has developed, PageRank has evolved. In Google’s own words, from http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html (bold mine):

Quote:
PageRank Technology: PageRank reflects our view of the importance of web pages by considering more than 500 million variables and 2 billion terms. Pages that we believe are important pages receive a higher PageRank and are more likely to appear at the top of the search results.

PageRank also considers the importance of each page that casts a vote, as votes from some pages are considered to have greater value, thus giving the linked page greater value. We have always taken a pragmatic approach to help improve search quality and create useful products, and our technology uses the collective intelligence of the web to determine a page's importance.
So, Pagerank is based on both the quantity and quality of inbound links. And allow me to repeat what I think is an important note about PR: Pages that Google perceives as important "receive a higher PageRank and are more likely to appear at the top of the search results."

ToolBar Page Rank and Actual PageRank – What’s the Difference?

Google opened Pandora’s Box in December 2000 with the release of a toolbar that showed the PageRank of a given page. Webmasters who wanted to raise their position in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) were thrilled to know how Google valued a page. In short time, Toolbar PageRank (TBPR) became the deciding factor for many on whether to exchange links for buy a link on a site.

Alarmed at the growing obsession with PR, Google stopped pushing PageRank to the toolbar in a timely fashion and later removed it from Webmaster Tools altogether. Matt Cutts, who heads up the spam fighting team at Google, has worked hard to convince webmasters that PageRank is “just one of 200 factors.”

What We Know
  • Toolbar PageRank is not the same as the actual PageRank; it is an out of date approximation of Actual PR, at best.
  • Toolbar PR is based on a scale of 0 - 10; Actual PageRank is based on 0-1.
  • Actual PageRank is one of 200 factors that Google uses to decide where a page ranks in the SERPs.
  • Actual PageRank is a calculation of the importance of a page based on the importance of the pages linking to it.

What We Don’t Know
  • We don’t know how PageRank is really calculated. We can read its original formula (see the wiki page cited above) but we are pretty sure Google has considerably refined the formula. Google was recently awarded a new patent that bears study for any serious SEO. See: http://www.seobythesea.com/?p=3806
  • We don’t know how important it is.
  • We don’t know if Toolbar PageRank is simply an outdated version of what the actual PageRank was at some time in the past, or a completely unrelated calculation.
  • We don’t know why some sites outrank sites with higher PR, but we suspect it is because toolbar PageRank is not an accurate reflection of actual PR. (That’s why Toolbar PR is often called Foolbar PR – you might be a fool if you believe it means anything. )

Given Google’s current statement that “PageRank reflects our view of the importance of web pages by considering more than 500 million variables and 2 billion terms,” it is safe to say that PageRank has evolved well past the original PageRank formula. But in what ways, and to what extent? We really don't know.

Okay, I Understand PageRank Better Now, So How Do I Get Some?

Get It Naturally - The best way to get PageRank is to create unique, compelling content that attracts links naturally. Google values one way links from related sites. You can find ideas for creating “link bait,” -- that is, content that will bring you links organically -- here: http://www.v7n.com/forums/seo-forum/...link-bait.html and particularly: http://www.v7n.com/forums/seo-forum/...ml#post1335820.

Self Service Links - You can also create what our SuperMod ~CReed calls “self service” links through these practices:

Directory Listings – Links from directories such as DMOZ, Joant, Yahoo, and other human edited directories can be helpful. Look for niche directories, too.

Article Directories – Write and publish original, useful, relevant articles with a link back to your site.

Guest Blogging – Find blogs that need content and write useful posts with a link to your site.

Forum Participation
– Participate in forums which are relevant to your website. Don’t expect a link from an unrelated site to help much, and know that a few links are not going to pass much PR, if any. Consistent participation over a long period of time can be effective, but a few links here and there are probably not worth the effort.
What you should know about “self service” links is that Google is out to devalue them. You might get some short term benefit from these strategies, but in the long run, the successful site will have attracted links for its content and usefulness.

What Else Do I Need To Know About PageRank?

What do “nofollow’ links have to do with PageRank? Links with a nofollow attribute do not pass PageRank. It does not mean that Google won’t follow or crawl or index the site linked, but it does mean that neither PageRank, anchor text nor any other SEO benefit will accrue from that link. It essentially says to Google, I don’t trust this site.

To determine whether a link is no-follow or not, you can view the page source through a browser and look for the attribute rel=”nofollow,” you can add a Firefox plug-in that makes every nofollow link highlighted in red, or you can, in FF, right click on any link and check the Properties for ‘nofollow.’

So many people say “forget PR,” others say it’s really important. Why all the disagreement among SEOs and what should I believe? PageRank probably is more important than most factors – it was central to the search engine concept that set Google apart from other search engines – but since you really can’t know what that number is, it has become kind of ridiculous to spin your wheels too much about it. When the toolbar was first released and you could apparently see a true approximation of PageRank, it made much more sense that webmasters focused on it. It was a known metric whose formula was publicly available through a patent application, in a sea of unknown factors of the algorithm. All you had to do was trade links with a site with higher PR than yours, and you were golden. Or so it seemed. Content was always King. Still is.

Google has since done an excellent job of removing pretty much of anything SEO professionals had figured out about PageRank. There have been new patents – and it's not known which have been implemented, the toolbar has been voided of any reliable data, and PR has been removed from Webmaster Tools. With so little information, chasing this elusive metric is less and less effective as an SEO strategy.

So, What Should I Do? Concentrate on content – compelling, original, useful content that will attract links naturally. Continue building links with the focus on traffic, your own judgment of quality and adding value for the user. If you want to focus on a metrics for your site, here’s what Google suggests in an FAQ on crawling and ranking: http://sites.google.com/site/webmast...xing---ranking
Quote:
Q: My site's PageRank has gone up / gone down / not changed in months!
A: Don't worry. In fact, don't bother thinking about it. We only update the PageRank displayed in Google Toolbar a few times a year; this is our respectful hint for you to worry less about PageRank, which is just one of over 200 signals that can affect how your site is crawled, indexed and ranked. PageRank is an easy metric to focus on, but just because it's easy doesn't mean it's useful for you as a site owner. If you're looking for metrics, we'd encourage you to check out Analytics, think about conversion rates, ROI (return on investment), relevancy, or other metrics that actually correlate to meaningful gains for your website or business.

What If I Want To Know More?

PageRank Resources

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 PM
v7n Mentor

This says it all!
"...toolbar PageRank is not an accurate reflection of actual PR.(That’s why Toolbar PR is often called Foolbar PR – you might be a fool if you believe it means anything.)"

Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

A bit long but worth enough to read. Good summarize and excellent sharing Green added.

Even PR is not great as it used to be due to abused from webmasters and the fine tuned made by Google. But still a piece to take a look for overall website value anyway.

Find your Best Rated Web Hosting. Company Today.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thank you for this post.
I was suspicious at first so i copy scaped it and nothing!
Very well done, REP given.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
LOL.....MJTaylor could prbably teach Matt Cutts a thing or two. What she dosent know about SEO, Ranking etc isnt worth knowing and we are extremely lucky to have her in the V7N Community.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Nice information thanks for sharing, but i am still confuse how i calculate actual pr

Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

toolbar PR.. stale, falsified, faked.

great write-up! Larry PageRank is often over scrutinized especially in the domain auction communities.
Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiee™ View Post
Thank you for this post.
Very well done, REP given.
Hysterical! And thank you, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks smith View Post
Nice information thanks for sharing, but i am still confuse how i calculate actual pr
That's why it's under the sub heading of "what we don't know."

There is no way to calculate actual PR unless you are a Google engineer, though there are Page Rank Prediction Tools, but I don't think I would trust them.

Thank you all for the compliments. Yeah, it was a tad long ... and I edited it!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Great in depth info about PR. Thanks! I have one more question though- for backlinks the 'rule' has always been that get backlinks from high pagerank pages. I am doubtful about that after reading your page. Does pagerank count at all for backlinks? if yes how? Please help me with this thanks.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Absolutely, you can gain PageRank from any page whether it's PR1 or PR8. If if has PageRank to pass and the link to your site is followed, your site will gain.

In fact, a page with PR1 with only one outbound link to your site, will pass more PageRank to you than a site with PR4 and 10 OBLs will.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks MJ! Clear, concise, and thorough-just what I need! It put me back on the Learning Curve, and not just spinning in circles ....ps. thanks, Cricket, for putting this link on your facebook feed!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
In fact, a page with PR1 with only one outbound link to your site, will pass more PageRank to you than a site with PR4 and 10 OBLs will.
Small quibble: Since TBPR is not linear, but a percentile ranking, this may of may not be the case, depending on the Actual PR values of the source pages in question.

Without knowing the spread of Actual PR values, it's difficult to predict the relative values of TBPRs.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
Small quibble: Since TBPR is not linear, but a percentile ranking, this may of may not be the case, depending on the Actual PR values of the source pages in question.

Without knowing the spread of Actual PR values, it's difficult to predict the relative values of TBPRs.

That's true, and there are other factors that may come into play. For example, the link's position on a page may influence PageRank ... but I was trying to express, as you know, the idea that a link from a PR1 page could be more valuable, depending on the number of outbound links, than a link from a page with higher PR.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
... but I was trying to express, as you know, the idea that a link from a PR1 page could be more valuable, depending on the number of outbound links, than a link from a page with higher PR.
As a general principle, that is true over the link population as a whole.

Some - very many? - though, are of the mistaken belief that ToolBar PR is a linear ranking, such that a TBPR of, for example, 4 carries 4 time the value of a TBPR of 1. It was this notion that I sought to dispel.

Quote:
That's true, and there are other factors that may come into play. For example, the link's position on a page may influence PageRank ... .
While theoretically possible, highly unlikely.

Bear in mind that PR was intended to emulate the citation system used by academia. A brief viewing of such documents will show a variety of annotation methods and organizational styles. For example, in-line annotations may refer to either a Footnote or a listing in the Bibliography. Footnotes may cite a specific external document, a specific location internal to the document, or to a listing in the Bibliography.

To weight a link based on its location would be to show a preference for a particular style and methodology in a manner that is arbitrary, capricious, and discriminatory.

Additionally, were Google to implement a PR algorithm other than that published, it would be highly likely that they would also seek to protect against its use by any outside party, by way of filing for Copyright protection.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor
That's true, and there are other factors that may come into play. For example, the link's position on a page may influence PageRank.

While theoretically possible, highly unlikely.

Bear in mind that PR was intended to emulate the citation system used by academia. A brief viewing of such documents will show a variety of annotation methods and organizational styles. For example, in-line annotations may refer to either a Footnote or a listing in the Bibliography. Footnotes may cite a specific external document, a specific location internal to the document, or to a listing in the Bibliography.

To weight a link based on its location would be to show a preference for a particular style and methodology in a manner that is arbitrary, capricious, and discriminatory.

Additionally, were Google to implement a PR algorithm other than that published, it would be highly likely that they would also seek to protect against its use by any outside party, by way of filing for Copyright protection.

Yes, PageRank is modeled on scholarly citation, and an additional underlying principle is the likelihood of said link being clicked by a random surfer. That is part of the original patent. Google further refined that model in a patent awarded last May, (applied for in 2004), in which (bold mine):

Quote:
the font size of anchor text associated with the link, the position of the link within a source document, the position of the link in a list, the font color associated with the link, the attributes of the link, the number of words in the anchor text associated with the link, the actual words in the anchor text associated with the link, the determination of commerciality of the anchor text associated with the link, the type of the link, the context of words before or after the link, the topical cluster with which the anchor text of the link is associated, whether the link leads to a target document on a same host or domain, or whether an address associated with the link embeds another address.
So, indeed, it would seem to be a published, protected principle.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Latest Blog:
None

But, said Patent is not about PageRank, but, an integrated system for delivering SERPs.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

I hate it when my lack of attention to detail makes me look stupid.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I hate it when my lack of attention to detail makes me look stupid.
Nothing to fret over; happens to all of us. Those who claim otherwise are either lying or totally clueless.

It's hard enough reading and trying to understand Patents that contain a myriad claims, let alone trying to grok the nebulous BS that petitioners now submit, and the USPTO accepts.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Now, to return to the point that I was trying to prove erroneously. I still think the "random surfer" model would include the concept that a link higher on a page -- or in a left nav rather than a footer -- would be more likely to be clicked and so might get more PageRank than a link not so well positioned.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Within the context of physical display position, as opposed to logical position within document, I quite concur that the true probabilities of a given link being followed will indeed vary with position. This is an unavoidable consequence of the fact that visibility and actionability are directly postively correlated, resulting in non-random behavior.

Google's PankRage algorithm is, of course, not the only such, but merely the most widely heard of; and, at least some of the others also enjoy USPTO granted protection. If another such contains claims re. such positional relevancy - and, I've a vague recollection of reading of one quite some time ago that does - then Google would need to include such factor with great care if it wished to guard agains the charge of infringement, unless it were absolutely confident that it could succesfully defend against such charge by way of asserting that any claims to newness were patently false owing their being obvious on their face to anyone skilled in the trade.

Of course, one could very well contest nearly all of Google's Patent claims on the very same ground!

In any case, it would seem to be the more likely that Google would simply avoid such issue by way of incorporating said positional factor into their SERP algorithm, which, being for all practical purposes a Trade Secret, is easily obfuscated, and appropriately alter the weight given to the results computed by their PR algorithm.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum