Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

View Poll Results: Does Google Instant kills SEO?
Yes 2 9.09%
No 15 68.18%
May be 4 18.18%
No answer 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Share |
Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Google Tests New Feature: Search As You Type

Before you go sprinting to the Google homepage, this feature is not out yet and could never come out. No one really knows if this would actually come out but a few selected users was picked to test this out. I am sure it's the Google employee's. lol

Watch the video to see this in action.

Quote:
Google is testing a feature that displays live-updating search results as you type your search query, no keystroke on “Enter” or “Return” required.

When you start typing, the search box is relocated to the top of the site. Results are changed to match what you type as you go, kind of like a Firefox() page search, Spotlight on the Mac, or Windows() 7’s “Search programs and files” field in the start menu.

These live search results are not available to the public at large. Google() regularly tests new features with....
Continued at Search As You Type

First question that comes to my mind is the contextual ads but after watching the video, it looks like google has this covered in there testing. Wouldn't this new feature if it did go live someday affect the adwords advertisers? The ad impression's would be a little whacky. Sometimes i type something in the search box but then change my mind and reword it to get the results i am after.

Comments are more then welcomed.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

If Google apply this new feature.... Will this feature impact to how we make meta tags keywords? Does we make a longtail keyword? Of course their search result more relevant.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:41 AM
Banned

Well I don't have any idea what exactly and how this things is gone work. But hope to get a positive response in terms of SEO.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

that's going to be searching the web in real time.. just like what they did on wave..

Old 08-24-2010, 08:30 AM

This could have a great effect for those SEO people like me.
My hands is itching for experiment. I hope they send a special invitation for testers like on Google Wave.

Last edited by snakeair; 08-24-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: self promo removed

Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

Ahh that will be a very useful feature.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

yes.. i use the iGoogle homepage, but when search it returns can't reahed...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

In a typical consumer's perspective, this would be a useful search engine feature.
However, as a SEO, this may propose a change in the industry practices.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Great.
So this will make the search real time.
But this might have some effects on long tail keywords like if a person want to visit a city and he tries to search "City name Hotels" Then the results shown while he type "City name" might show him some sites giving information about the city and that might distract him from his original intension and he might visit the site giving info about the city instead of the "City hotels" site.
And that type of search will also eat more bandwidth from user's Internet.
And peoples in pay per volume Internet and slow Internet will get problems.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Hi,

Thanks for your nice information. It looks like Google does want to include more features in it search and other services. Currently, I use "peers" add-on for Firefox. It would also return instant results when I typing in the search box and not only for Google.

all the best,

Old 08-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForce1 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your nice information. It looks like Google does want to include more features in it search and other services. Currently, I use "peers" add-on for Firefox. It would also return instant results when I typing in the search box and not only for Google.

all the best,
I don't use FF but after testing out the link Google Provided, would you say you'd switch to using the Google one if it comes out?

I know FF user's love all the goodies they get. Since i am only a IE user and will never switch, i could use this new feature.

I am sure there is still bugs with this that Google will find and tweak along the testing phase. At least Google is creating something useful that i'd be happy to use.

Webmasterforums raised some interesting questions i'd like to know the answers to. lol

Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 AM

don't like this idea it will really overvalue short domain names

Old 08-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Google is testing a feature that displays live-updating search results as you type your search query, no keystroke on “Enter” or “Return” required.
I wish you can have the choice to disable this option, a pure waste of time when searching for something precise!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
I wish you can have the choice to disable this option, a pure waste of time when searching for something precise!
Disabling it like we can do with personal search would be a great option. I really dislike the personal search when it first came out. Got my hopes up checking stats in google and when disabled it, i could not find my website. lol

Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

I don't like search as you type at all. Its an offensive feature. I hope we still can use the current mode.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Search: Now Faster then the Speed of Type

UPDATE:

Really poor title to a blog post by google but i know exactly what they was referring to. Tonight at work when i was googling something for work related i noticed a new change. While i was typing in my search term i was getting results as i was typing. This feature finally rolled out or at least rolled out for me. lol

Take a look at this blog post by google if you haven't already noticed a change when typing in a search term into the google search box.

Quote:
Search as you type. It’s a simple and straightforward idea—people can get results as they type their queries. Imagining the future of search, the idea of being able to search for partial queries or provide some interactive feedback while searching has come up more than a few times. Along the way, we’ve even built quite a few demos (notably, Amit Patel in 1999 and Nikhil Bhatla in 2003). Our search-as-you-type demos were thought-provoking—fun, fast and interactive—but fundamentally flawed. Why? Because you don’t really want search-as-you-type (no one wants search results for [bike h] in the process of searching for [bike helmets]). You really want search-before-you-type—that is, you want results for the most likely search given what you have already typed.
Continued at: Search As Your Type

Has this change rolled out for you yet? Do you like it? I know this might seem annoying at first but ya'll get used to it. Thoughts on this are more then welcomed.

EDIT: Matt Cutts did a blog post on this. http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/though...oogle-instant/
SEObook.com also did a blog post on this with more videos. http://www.seobook.com/how-google-in...-seo-landscape

Last edited by snakeair; 09-08-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: add Matt Cutts link

Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013

I've some experience using off-line applications that employ this technique. Personally, I find the constantly changing visual display distracting to the point of reducing my efficiency.

While useful for suggesting input strings, acting on partially completed input is an unnecessary waste of computing resources; and, here, of communications resources as well.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Banned

Google's new feature in Search Engine...Google Instant

Hello All,

Instant display of search engine results will give a big jump in search query trends.

See Google.com/instant for more detail.

Hope you all will like it a lot.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Banned

Google Instant - Effect on PPC and Keyword Impression Analysis

Hi guys,

As we have noticed the change in Google today.

Google Instant has started. Will this affect Adwords impression count and perfect keyword impressions analysis in search results ? I want to have your feedback for this.

Thanks

Moderator Note: This originally a thread but merged with similiar thread

Last edited by snakeair; 09-09-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:32 AM
Contributing Member

It will take some time to really see the effects if any

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum