Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Google customizing results based on IP location

Hi everyone,

It has been brought to my attention that even if you turn off your web customization based on your previous search history, google STILL customizes the results based on your IP location. This explains why many people from Australia, and Europe are seeing my website on google page 5, whilst everyone in America only see's it on google page 16.

I know that if you were to search on google.co.uk, or google.com.au as opposed to just google.com, then you will get different results based on the particular region....but if you are just searching from google.com,no matter where you are located, shouldnt they bring up the same results?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Google has over 40 Data Centers, spanning thousands to IP Addresses, worldwide; it uses dynamic load balancing to distribute all tasks, including search.

There is no fixed relationship between a Google Domain Name, a DC and geo-location. Thus, there is no single set of search results to be had from their .COM URL.

Re. localization of search results, such is fully disclosed and explained at http://www.google.com/support/websea...?answer=179386 .

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

well i believe that's true.. since google have different data centers.. and they fetch results based on the nearest data collections so it can load faster..

Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogs View Post
well i believe that's true.. since google have different data centers.. and they fetch results based on the nearest data collections so it can load faster..
Dynamic load balancing involves monitoring how busy each server is, and routing/rerouting tasks waiting to executed to those less busy. External network conditions affecting routing may also be taken into consideration.

By analogy, consider a store with several checkout lanes. As some lanes get backed up, customers are directed/redirected to those lanes with the shorter lines.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

I think geo-localized search results are one of the things that Google is experimenting on nowadays. So, it would be a good idea for you to delve into this as well.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPolarZero View Post
I think geo-localized search results are one of the things that Google is experimenting on nowadays. So, it would be a good idea for you to delve into this as well.
Actually, this is quite old.

It only became obvious to many with the implementation of Instant Search, when typing a single letter yielded certain results that where obviously local in nature, such as the letter "K" returning a link re. your local Kohls store.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

it doesn't matter that you have stopped customizing or not .Google will show the result by searchers IP location. for one of my key word my site is at the place of 3rd page. but in India that same key word has the position of 2 in the 1st page.
so its very much important to change the result according to the searchers IP.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkwebmaster96 View Post
it doesn't matter that you have stopped customizing or not .
Please clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkwebmaster96 View Post
Google will show the result by searchers IP location.
That is the case only if the user does not specify a different viewing geo-location. If they have, that viewing perspective will remain in force until changed.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

I completely agree with you that google shows results based on IP Location, i have one of my site having all my keywords on 1st & 2nd page in google.co.in and not the same in google.com

Old 02-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajdeshmukh View Post
I completely agree with you that google shows results based on IP Location, i have one of my site having all my keywords on 1st & 2nd page in google.co.in and not the same in google.com
google.co.in and google.com are not defined by either their IP Addresses or the physical location of their servers.

They are logical views, as opposed to physical ones.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:43 PM

I need help about geo location search, i have a website which i want to open according to to country ip. For example if a user is searching from UK the website uk.domainname.com must open, can any one provide me a script for this.

My Website is about [Sell Rolex Watches] please have a look at it.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchesmayfair View Post
I need help about geo location search, i have a website which i want to open according to to country ip. For example if a user is searching from UK the website uk.domainname.com must open, can any one provide me a script for this.
There a number of different techniques for handling such.

You should begin your own thread, asking this question, in a forum frequented by those most likely to be able to help. While the subject could fit into several sub-forums, the best would most likely be the Coding Forum.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

I agree that google.com should be general but I don't think it's like that. Take in consideration that google.com is for the US market a big market. So it's not a: for all visitors the same result as a mix of results in different area of the globe ( google.de, .fr - etc )

Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditd View Post
I agree that google.com should be general but I don't think it's like that. Take in consideration that google.com is for the US market a big market. So it's not a: for all visitors the same result as a mix of results in different area of the globe ( google.de, .fr - etc )
No Google Top Level Domain maintains a store of data separate and unique from that of another; in fact, a TLD makes no statement as to any physical attributes, as a URL is a logical address only. All of Google's Data Centers, regardless of their geo-location, do, ignoring the time lag between when one acquires new data and can pass it on to others, maintain the same store of data.

While it may be the case that US entities dominate the COM TLD, it is not the case that google.com is intended to exclusively serve results relating to such.

Should they so choose, Google could terminate use of all but a single Domain Name, and still serve precisely the same geo-centric results as now. The use of multiple TLDs simply provides for the user's predefining a preferred default view, which in turn - and this is of great import to Google - automatically determines which AdWords listing are eligible for display.

For example, using google.co.uk will cause AdWords listing for ebay.co.uk to be displayed even when the query string is for something that is strictly American in all respects.

That Google uses multiple TLDs results from purely business considerations, not of any necessity regarding the delivery of geo-centric SERPs.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum