Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Evidence Google is Ignoring the Title Tag

This blog post or "news" is from the SEO.com blog. Please read it before responding.

Quote:
So it has been shown to me by my personal mentor, D-Patt, that Matt Cutts discusses this in a video a little while back. The last 30 Seconds of the video speaks to me (obviously), and I would assume to many, since I showed my examples to a number of people who hadn’t seen this before. It talks about how everyone is familiar with Google changing the snippet, or description, but not many webmasters are familiar with the fact that Google will change the Title when necessary.

However, not to be distraught about it, this post leads into a great followup I plan on writing today. Because even though the concept is not new, I think it may be happening more often.

So with that, I leave you with the Matt Cutts’ video, and my own “discovery” of Google changing the Title tags.
To watch the video and read the rest of the blog post visit: http://www.seo.com/blog/google-ignoring-title-tag/

So, anyone have a comment about this?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

I saw the video...

In my understanding, Google doesn't ignore the title tags or even the meta description tag for your snippet. Google, if they found out that you have a bad title, long and not relevant to what you page is about, then that's the time Google will ignore your tags and change it to a more relevant one based on the content of the web page.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kualalumperproperty View Post
I think it cannot happen because let this happen then what will Google check. Many persons are saying that Google ignore meta tags if Google ignore it then Why Google see the description while we search any keyword ?
What he meant by ignoring is that Google does not use it to rank the site.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

IMO we still have to see how this goes.
Apparently Google is replying more on authority of website, backlinks, and content. Backlinks is something that should be devalued if they really wanna make it better.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

I am not seeing Google ignoring the Title tag, but yeah! google gives the website name in the Titles if you search for any particular website with its name.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

As far as i know google values the title tag of website while displaying results.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:41 AM

How can you say that Google ignores the title tag? I see every day that my pages are positioned in the search results using the title tag.

However, that said psdtowp.biz is true: the text of the title tag changes when we look specifically at the site name.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM

Based on the video the old adage holds true, "Content is King". All they are really doing is verifying that your actual page content matches your Page Titles and and Meta Title. What blows is they may change your title or description after you thought long and hard on how to best use them.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 PM
No Longer Active

I didn't knew that they are customizing titles as well from time to time. Interesting step and this might actually be good for websites. How are they choosing the snippet and title algorithmically? That is one heck of an algorithm. I'm really impressed, And hope they don't screw it up by choosing/creating non sense title and/or snippet !

Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think that this is a bad thing at all. They are not ignoring the title tag, just choosing the portion of it that will help our consumers know if they are clicking on a page that will help them or not. I think this will work in favor of many of the things that we are trying to accomplish. This only means that a good title tag will help you in the long run. Make sure you are hitting your keywords, and not wasting the little space that you have there.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

How Google ranks the site for particular this secret only google knows. It is a million dollor que. Google changing his algoritham day by day so we have to update according to them. thanks for this informative post ...

Old 02-21-2011, 08:28 AM

It's hard to understand how it will effect websites Serps. I can't see these changes happening for well optimised onsite websites because if you have a consumer searching for blue widgets and out pops a website at the top with Blue Widgets on the start of the title as well as good content on page, there is nothing really more relevant than this so I can't see that being changed. What I can see changed is poorly written titles or untitled titles, if the website has good relevant content to the searcher and the webmaster simply have not used a good titles for their site then it's unfair for the searcher to not be able to find that good content just because of the title. That's how I see this working.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Google change Title tag if think is not relevant for that page. I didnt see Title tag changed often, but a lor of meta descriptions are modified by Google in SERPS.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

It' my first time I saw that video. Eventhough G will ignore title tag but I still use it for other SE.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Is Google Ignoring The HTML Title Tag More Often?

Here is another blog post on this subject.

Quote:
Google’s long created title tags from means other than using the HTML title tag, however, there are reports that it might be increasing the times it does so.

A WebmasterWorld thread has dozens of webmasters complaining that Google is not using their HTML title tags. The HTML title tag is often used by Google as the blue hyperlink in the Google search results. The words used in that hyperlink can often mean a click or skip when a searcher is scanning the available search results for a query. So when Google decided to not use your HTML title tag, you are hopeful that Google picks something more ‘click-worthy’.

As I said, it is not completely unheard of for Google to not use your HTML title tag but it appears that Google has increased the...
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/google-i...re-often-65564

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum