Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Google's “Farmer” Algorithm Update

Check out this recent change by Google.

Quote:
In January, Google promised that it would take action against content farms that were gaining top listings with “shallow” or “low-quality” content. Now the company is delivering, announcing a change to its ranking algorithm designed take out such material.

New Change Impacts 12% Of US Results
The new algorithm — Google’s “recipe” for how to rank web pages — starting going live yesterday, the company told me in an interview today.

Google changes its algorithm on a regular basis, but most changes are so subtle that few notice. This is different. Google says the change impacts 12% (11.8% is the unrounded figure) of its search results in the US , a far higher impact on results than most of its algorithm changes. The change only impacts results in the US. It may be rolled out worldwide in the future.

While Google has come under intense pressure in the past month to act against content farms, the company told me that this change has....
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/google-f...m-update-66071

Any thoughts on this?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 01:45 AM
v7n Mentor

We'll see. It just goes hand in hand with the duplicate content tweak they rolled out shortly before it. If it levels the playing field and gets rid of some of the low value content, I'm all for it. If it gets original content authors to the top for their content, again, I'm all for it. Only time will tell, but I still don't trust Google any further than I can throw them, and they're pretty big to try and toss anyways

Old 02-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Latest Blog:
None

For now, it is deployed in the U.S. ... I expect to read all your feedback to see what impact this will have in France!

I hope there are not too much collateral damage, including directories or classifieds sites.

Otherwise, it's a good thing for users.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Latest Blog:
None

For information, other characteristics to identify a content farm here :
http://www.seoptimise.com/blog/2011/...tent-farm.html

Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

A quick search for a generic niche term still found a couple of the worst offenders in the first 5 listings. So I will have to wait and see.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
v7n Mentor

There are some content farms I like ... for example: I frequently find myself on ehow for instructions on how to boil an egg.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I stopped visitng ehow a few weeks ago. lol

MJ, is hubpages considered a farm? I have i think 3 hubs created and know other people who create a lot of hubpages.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 PM
v7n Mentor

Strictly speaking, I would say, yes, HubPages could be perceived as a content farm. And EzineArticles.com could be considered a content farm, too, though a higher quality farm compared with other article directories, don't you think?

I am not sure what Google considers to be content farms, but blekko banned a slew of sites outright according to this tech crunch article:

Quote:
ehow.com
experts-exchange.com
naymz.com
activehotels.com
robtex.com
encyclopedia.com
fixya.com
chacha.com
123people.com
download3k.com
petitionspot.com
thefreedictionary.com
networkedblogs.com
buzzillions.com
shopwiki.com
wowxos.com
answerbag.com
allexperts.com
freewebs.com
copygator.com
I have been thinking (and saying) for some time, that "self service" links (as I learned to call them from ~CReed) are not going to be what they used to be ...

Like you, I spend a lot of time searching for quality tips and information to share here, and I I do get a little tired of running across articles that are on topic but very low quality. I found more than a few this morning, so I am not sure about the efficacy of this update.(as I l

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM
v7n Mentor

That bites, I just submitted 2 around 1k word articles to Ezine, and 1 around the same length to Yahoo's thing. Hopefully I didn't waste my time. They were all on web analytics though

Old 02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I don't think about.com was effected by this but i am not sure. Isn't about.com doing the same thing ehow does?

Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I don't think about.com was effected by this but i am not sure. Isn't about.com doing the same thing ehow does?
They're all content mills in thought. They either pay poorly for what they get, or they use people's zeal for authority and fame to obtain free content. So rather than content farms, content mills might be more appropriate. You know, like the "sweat shops" of the clothing industry

Old 02-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Latest Blog:
None

It looks like automation vs the human factor.

Google is trying to replicate finding good real sites with real content as a person would when looking at that same site. It feels like to me this is their goal anyway. So it makes sense they would be implementing something like this.

I feel that they will be monitoring this closely, and if it's filtering out good content sites they will either tweak or revert their code. JMO...maybe not.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsusReview View Post
It looks like automation vs the human factor.

Google is trying to replicate finding good real sites with real content as a person would when looking at that same site. It feels like to me this is their goal anyway. So it makes sense they would be implementing something like this.

I feel that they will be monitoring this closely, and if it's filtering out good content sites they will either tweak or revert their code. JMO...maybe not.
I'd tend to agree with this, but the real problem with mills and farms is more the quality than anything. There's just way too many, in their pursuit of millions online, that toss some paragraphs together and submit away. It's not about providing value, it's about getting traffic. Then, those same mills and farms crank that content out as free to use as well. Of course, not all of them do, but take for instance Ehow.

Ehow is driven by Demand Media. Demand media pays roughly $15.00 for an article, and until Google announced their intentions, Demand's "acceptance and quality criteria" was severely lacking. They just wanted the "cheap" content to offer on their websites.

There is so much exploitation online that nobody thinks about it, and it's not just stuff like these content mills and farms, it's about every "freelance" website out there. The prices most times relate to Easterners OK with making pennies an hour for their time. For them, that's a fortune. For us to compete, we'd be on welfare offering similar pricing.

All in all, it's just an exploitation model, but nobody thinks of that. It's all about the cheap content and making millions off it from ads, and with some of the big ones like Knoll (a google property), Article Base, Ehow, and Yahoo with nofollow attributes to author box links, then running Google ads or the equivalent on the page, plus low quality guidelines, it's all about exploitation and the money.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM
v7n Mentor

I'm seeing a few competitor e-commerce sites that were ranked really good/above us for years, are now moved down to the bottom of page 1 or on page #2. Indeed some major algorithm tweaks have caused ranking changes overnight.

.¸¸_GregBeddor.com > Search Engine Optimization Services > Portland SEO Consultant

..¸¸.·´¯`·-> Portland SEO > Internet Marketing > Web Design > Webfu-Design.com

Old 02-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Latest Blog:
None

In general, people will always try to exploit any system as long as they can, and as long as there is a system. Changes like this help to prevent people from doing that, and lower transparency to Google's search formula helps as well.

Overall there will always be people building sites with no content, designed for nothing except gaining traffic, PR and clicks.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:00 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsusReview View Post
In general, people will always try to exploit any system as long as they can, and as long as there is a system. Changes like this help to prevent people from doing that, and lower transparency to Google's search formula helps as well.

Overall there will always be people building sites with no content, designed for nothing except gaining traffic, PR and clicks.
Yes, and that is a self perpetuated model driven by greed and the get rich quick mentality, fed by the scam artists promoting and selling such empty dreams. That's why it's all about clicks, not about value.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:33 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Since google has made this change there has been a lot of talk on blogs and other types of news sites about this.

The localseoguide.com blog found a few interesting stories on this update and posted all the links in the blog post. If you care to read more then please take a look.

http://www.localseoguide.com/farmer-update-update/

If Andrew missed any really important stories on this update then suggest the link in the blog comments and also in here so we can read and discuss it. Over the next few weeks or even this weekend, people maybe happy with there new search results and people stuck wondering how they got pushed back out of there current rankings.

Feb. is almost over so get your SEO together for March.

CNN has a story on this: http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/25/tech...gaming_google/

EDIT Just wanted everyone to make sure they read this blog post. It's shocking to see the results. http://searchengineland.com/who-lost...m-change-66173

Last edited by snakeair; 02-26-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add the edit part

Old 02-26-2011, 06:01 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

AntiFarmer algo changes as a roadmap step in Google strategy

Gents,

I am just trying to analyze the roadmap of the Google using the new AntiFarmer algo changes, and so far I got to an interesting conclusion.

BTW: Another comprehensive analysis with statistics from Sistrix about Farmer algo : http://www.sistrix.com/blog/985-goog...r-quality.html

My intermediate conclusion is that Google is trying well to kill the free (non-paid) SEO as a business in one shot.
Just follow the Google steps:
- 2007: forum profiles are completely filtered out from participation in the ranking algorithm
- 2009: forum signature links are lowered in weighting/impact factor
- last year: blog comments has been mostly filtered out from transferring a linkjuice
- this year (AntiFarmer): fading out the content farms will be followed by (I guess) decreasing a value of any links from such sites - so article submission and directory listings will become inefficient.

Seems like Google, in its roadmap, is trying to fight with SEO-guys not by banning/penalizing sites, but my making an algorithm such that all known free SEO methods become absolutely useless.

Correct or incorrect?
George

Google is always right ;-)

Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Snakeair, personally, I believe its a good move to increase the SERP quality for users, but I do not like that most of the Google's latest changes always lead to incidental dropping of many good quality sites.

In this respect, many online communities, like TripAdvisor can be put in the danger of getting punished, since the content is created ve-ery fast there and in enourmous amounts as well.

GK

Google is always right ;-)

Old 02-26-2011, 08:08 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Yes .. and it's about the same as Service Magic does too ..

These big dynamic database driven monsters have got to go if anyone else is going to have a chance at the net. We've got people writing about things they know absolutely nothing about .. they put all of the right words in, but in the end, you end up with clients that are more confused about things than ever ..

The professions/trades have been up in arms for longer than Danny or anyone else knows with regard to this. No one knows the industry like the ones that work in that industry does .. and Google, IMHO, doesn't get it .. I don't think they ever will.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Closed Thread