Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Google Alerts Question

So when I'm supposed to type in what website I'm getting an alert for, I'm wondering one thing:

If I type in my actual domain name, so "www.superduperawesomecoolsiteimade.com", do I only get alerts when people use that EXACT text? Or does it work if they anchor different text with my link attached?

I think this is right tool for what I need; I want instant notification when someone links to my website from somewhere else on the web.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoucus View Post
So when I'm supposed to type in what website I'm getting an alert for, I'm wondering one thing:

If I type in my actual domain name, so "www.superduperawesomecoolsiteimade.com", do I only get alerts when people use that EXACT text? Or does it work if they anchor different text with my link attached?

I think this is right tool for what I need; I want instant notification when someone links to my website from somewhere else on the web.
Yes it works for any time Google sees your url as you have entered it. Including a contextual link in their article and if they scraped an article of yours that you included an internal link to your own article. (Hint, hint: internal linking is good for your own SEO and for catching content thieves )

Quote:
Make your internal links absolute links.

Absolute links are the exact path to the page on the web server. e.g.http://www.yourdomainname.com/services.htm is the absolute link to your services page. If you are using a WYSWYG or online editor when creating your internal links, it will just put the relative path in the hyperlink. e.g. <a href="services.htm">Services</a> This is a carry over from developing your site offline and testing your internal links offline. Good for offline testing but bad for search engine optimization.
Internal Link Building Strategy

Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Uhhh.

What I'm asking is like...

Okay, let's use Google as an example.

Google has a Google alert setup for itself (yes, it sounds funny, but bear with me), the text they entered into the alert box was "www.google.com". Now let's say I type in "www.google.com" as a reference back to Google in one of my blog posts. They'll get an alert for that.

Now let's say that, two weeks from now, I make another blog post and say "this search engine" somewhere in my post, and that's anchor text for "www.google.com". Will they still receive the alert, even though I didn't specifically type "www.google.com", but instead anchored that link to OTHER text?

I hope I was clear enough D:

If you already basically answered that question, I'm sorry I didn't get it. I've been working on my blog since 9am and I'm a dead man sitting.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:32 PM
v7n Mentor

No you won't get an alert if someone uses anchor text to link to your site instead of the URL..

The closest is using link:www.somesiteyoumade.com so that when a new link is found for that site, you get an alert. Not all links seem to get reported though. Very sporadic at best.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Ok, here's an example, in this paragraph I referenced an article on one of my other sites, I got an alert for the other site:
Code:
Using a FTP client to transfer your website or blog files is a skill each site owner should learn. You can also use your FTP client software to backup your site. You have a backup, right? backup your site is linked to http://www.webpagemistakes.ca/backing-up-your-website/ from http://www.basiccomputerinformation.ca/what-is-a-ftp-client/
Here is the alert:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wpm-alert.gif
Views:	208
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	13962  

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 03-19-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:53 PM
No Longer Active

As far as I seen google alert uses the anchor text. But what ~CReed gave might also work, but data in link:www.somesiteyoumade.com is very low. I'm not sure how Google will deal with that.

If there is yahoo alert that might work better I think.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum