Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Do-follow concept and 11th Takeaways of may 2011 about No-follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyBlast View Post
Recently I have seen many people talking about - dofollow links. This is just the latest in seo tail chasing. All links are follow/dofollow - by default. You do not need to put a dofollow attribute in your links. That is the level of ignorance that I am seen displayed. This ignorance is so widespread that people are trying to capitalize on it by selling dofollow software and services. Nothing could be more absurd. The so-called "dofollow" attribute does not even exist.
From this quotation it is clear that there all links are by default do-follow, that sounds pleasant to me; However, I found in the 15 Takeways of may, 2011 that is shown in the bellow qoute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15 Takeaways
11. Where you link can affect your reputation as a webmaster. So don’t link to low-quality sites, and use nofollow where appropriate.
Link of 15 Takeways: http://greatfinds.icrossing.com/15-t...om-matt-cutts/

Now my questions
- How can I make a do-follow link no-follow?
- "use nofollow where appropriate" - can you tell me exactly where to use no-follow links?
- what is the benefit of using no-follow links?

...any idea will be appreciated.

Last edited by rising_sun; 05-28-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising_sun View Post
Generally links are anchor texts in blog posts, the normal syntax for anchor text is
Code:
<a href="yourdomain.com">Your text</a>
to make the same nofollow, you need to add rel='nofollow' so our anchor text becomes this

Code:
<a href="http://yourdomain.com/" rel="nofollow">Your text</a>
that is how you make a link nofollow.

Quote:
- "use nofollow where appropriate" - can you tell me exactly where to use no-follow links?
Google suggests to make blog comments to be nofollow because those are the most spam prone places and also if you are linking to an inferior site, you want to place a nofollow tag on the outbound link

Quote:
There is no real benefit for you, Google introduced so as to stop spammers. Spammers place their links where ever possible. Google doesn't want to index those low quality links, hence the nofollow tag was introduced. When an SE bot sees the nofollow tag on a link, it doesn't follow the link, instead it skips the link. To consolidate, nofollow helps to fight spam.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Now my questions

...any idea will be appreciated.
Rick already showed how to make a link nofollow.

For information straight from Google about where it is appropriate to use the nofollow attribute see: About rel="nofollow" - Webmaster Tools Help - Google

Some would believe that the benefit of using the nofollow attribute is that you are not passing along Google PR. But my question to those who believe that is: Why did you put the link on your site/allow the linked comment in the first place if you are going to tell Google you don't trust it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson View Post
Google suggests to make blog comments to be nofollow because those are the most spam prone places and also if you are linking to an inferior site, you want to place a nofollow tag on the outbound link
Where exactly did Google suggest making blog comments nofollow?

Why would you link to an inferior site? The only time I can think of that you would link to an inferior site (as in low or no PR) is because you see the site is new and has great potential in the future to be a good resource.

Linking out is not bad if you carefully choose who you link out to, if it is related to the subject of the page and adds to your visitor's experience/education of the topic.

Quote:
Why is linking out good? Because as you write your article and make statements you should provide links to related and respected sources to backup your statements. This can be done by quoting a source and providing the link to the original article you quoted from (besides being good manners on the net).

Another way to provide relevant outgoing links is to provide a further reading or resources section at the end of your article.
Are You Linking Out? You Should Be

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Where exactly did Google suggest making blog comments nofollow?
Google started this way back in 2005, I am surprised that you dont know about this however, here goes the link http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/...ment-spam.html

Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Google started this way back in 2005, I am surprised that you dont know about this however, here goes the link http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/...ment-spam.html
The post you found is wayback when they were pushing their new idea of the nofollow. That is a promo blog post.

It does say "We encourage" which could be taken as suggest.

But...

Why punish those who make valuable contributions to your blog or site? There are other ways to curtail linking out to crummy sites like moderating user contributions.

Also, if your site has a bunch of spammy comments (nofollow or not) because you don't take the time or interest in it that will hurt your site. It shows your readers you have no interest in the comments left, don't interact with those that take the time to comment and generally adds a bunch of crap to your pages. Consider: Your blog has a zillion xxxxx comments because you don't take the time to moderate/review comments. Next thing you know your page is going to be ranking for xxxxx instead of what you wanted to be ranked for.

Using nofollow is not the be all end all solution for combatting spam.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:14 PM

I've also seen
Code:
<a href="link" rel="external nofollow">Link Title</a>

Old 05-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The post you found is wayback when they were pushing their new idea of the nofollow. That is a promo blog post.

It does say "We encourage" which could be taken as suggest.

But...

Why punish those who make valuable contributions to your blog or site? There are other ways to curtail linking out to crummy sites like moderating user contributions.

Also, if your site has a bunch of spammy comments (nofollow or not) because you don't take the time or interest in it that will hurt your site. It shows your readers you have no interest in the comments left, don't interact with those that take the time to comment and generally adds a bunch of crap to your pages. Consider: Your blog has a zillion xxxxx comments because you don't take the time to moderate/review comments. Next thing you know your page is going to be ranking for xxxxx instead of what you wanted to be ranked for.

Using nofollow is not the be all end all solution for combatting spam.
No follow is just one step to combat spam, if spammers think that they will end up with only nofollow links they would rather not comment on your blog. Even now, I am not against of dofollow or in support for nofollow. Yes, you would want good contributions, you could use plugins for wordpress to change the nofollow attribute on comments that add to the blog instead.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Generally links are anchor texts in blog posts, the normal syntax for anchor text is
Code:
<a href="yourdomain.com">Your text</a>
to make the same nofollow, you need to add rel='nofollow' so our anchor text becomes this

Code:
<a href="http://yourdomain.com/" rel="nofollow">Your text</a>
that is how you make a link nofollow.

There is no real benefit for you, Google introduced so as to stop spammers. Spammers place their links where ever possible. Google doesn't want to index those low quality links, hence the nofollow tag was introduced. When an SE bot sees the nofollow tag on a link, it doesn't follow the link, instead it skips the link. To consolidate, nofollow helps to fight spam.
i think its one of the best post in this forum. i think you should make a thread on how to make a do follow link No follow.
thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by empori_exchange View Post
i think its one of the best post in this forum. i think you should make a thread on how to make a do follow link No follow.
thanks
Thank you for your kind words but sadly, starting a thread just about how to teach people to have a nofollow tag isn't very encouraging, if someone else feels the same way like you do, I would definitely start a new thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
... Also, if your site has a bunch of spammy comments (nofollow or not) because you don't take the time or interest in it that will hurt your site. It shows your readers you have no interest in the comments left, don't interact with those that take the time to comment and generally adds a bunch of crap to your pages...
Sometimes the spam floods in faster than the moderators can cope! Especially when the posters are in different time-zones, and post when the moderators are asleep.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ldf1re View Post
Sometimes the spam floods in faster than the moderators can cope! Especially when the posters are in different time-zones, and post when the moderators are asleep.
That is true but that doesn't mean their spammy comments have to make it onto your pages. It's called moderating the comments.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
That is true but that doesn't mean their spammy comments have to make it onto your pages. It's called moderating the comments.
Of course you are quite right, but (there is always a but) keeping comments in a moderation queue until they are published discourages real commenters. They like to see their contributions added right away for immediate gratification.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words but sadly, starting a thread just about how to teach people to have a nofollow tag isn't very encouraging, if someone else feels the same way like you do, I would definitely start a new thread
Ok dude i will look for other people that are in need of this solution. and if i get any one i will inform you.
thanks

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Closed Thread