Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Why aren't the Google Toolbar PageRank values updated more often?

March 8, 2016
Quote:
Google has confirmed with Search Engine Land that it is removing Toolbar PageRank. That means that if you are using a tool or a browser that shows you PageRank data from Google, within the next couple weeks it will begin not to show any data at all.

Google explained that the company still uses PageRank data internally within the ranking algorithm, but the external PageRank values shown in the Toolbar are going away completely.
Google has confirmed it is removing Toolbar PageRank

Matt Cutts from Google answers:

Quote:
From last few months there are no PR updates from Google. Is Google removing the Page Rank feature to avoid Link Trade that is very popular currently in the industry? Please guide us through the next Google's move regarding Page Rank in future. Rajeesh, Vadodara, Gujarat, India

Learn more about metrics beyond PageRank on the Webmaster Central Blog: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...uating-to.html
[YT]jZ9pFUSVG9g[/YT]

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Well i think its one of the rare occasions in which i have heard Matt talk in plain English, instead of talking in circles.

He basically just said what we all know to start with......PR is good but dont obsess, it isnt that important and it certainly isnt the "be all and end all" of operating a web site.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Well i think its one of the rare occasions in which i have heard Matt talk in plain English, instead of talking in circles.

He basically just said what we all know to start with......PR is good but dont obsess, it isnt that important and it certainly isnt the "be all and end all" of operating a web site.
That's the issue, pretty much everyone obsesses with PR.

I stopped caring about my PR long time ago, and starting devoting my time to gaining traffic. PR doesn't always bring traffic.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
...PR doesn't always bring traffic.
It's always brought me the wrong kind of traffic...

Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

So, instead of visible page rank, now the webmasters should concentrate on parameters like Conversion rate, Bounce rate and Clickthrough rate (CTR). I think this is even more difficult.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
PR doesn't always bring traffic.
Absolutely...what could a high PR domain or page do if it doesn't rank well in the SERP.

Still, ranking in the SERP is more important to get traffic, but if you have both... that's better.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by towelk View Post
Absolutely...what could a high PR domain or page do if it doesn't rank well in the SERP.

Still, ranking in the SERP is more important to get traffic, but if you have both... that's better.
Actually PR is so Abused Google no longer give it that prominence like it used to give

Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 PM

So in your minds today, do you think Alexa Pagerank is a better indicator in SERP?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajesintense View Post
So in your minds today, do you think Alexa Pagerank is a better indicator in SERP?
No.

It is based on people using their toolbar or website to find sites. I for one would not be included in their stats.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 AM
Contributing Member

I have found out from the experience that a page in a High PR website ranks top in google search results even though it's not having valuable content. So in-order to compete with that kind of websites, we need huge good amount of valuable backlinks from other websites and or more internal links with similar contents.

Even if google removes PR, its a good idea to check the predicted page rank via some page rank predication tool or opensiteexplorer etc so that it will help us to understand the value of our page. Do you agree with this?

Quote:
Add me as your facebook friend fb.com/FreeZonal

Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I would say after Google's Panda update 2.2, Google gives less credit to Pagerank factor. It is a slight factor in their algorithm now. And there are about 300 such factors. So I would advice not to worry about Pagerank and think more upon the usefullness of your sites to its visitors.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajesintense View Post
Fro my point of view - yes! Alexa gives much more detailed information and if to use it correct then it will help you to solve many hard questions!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Pagerank has almost become more of an idea than an actual value in and of itself. The idea of pagerank as a concept is clearly understood by many and across the board people know you are talking in terms of seo and online presence when you use the word pagerank.

As for the actual pagerank number being an actual and fair reflection of a site's relevance and altogether business, it is still relevant.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I guess, because everyone was abusing the system, so they slowed the whole thing down and made it much more unpredictable.

Google might scrap the PR soon.

I'm seeing so many directories lose their PR, like the once big www.botw.org, which yesterday had PR 4! Down from PR 7 2 years ago, down from PR 6 a few months ago!

Don't go for PR, go for quality content, members, SMM, gain visitors and good SERPS. PR comes afterwards...

But, if you wan to buy or sell ads, then PR might still come into question.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Pagerank has turned into an idea as oppose to real value of itself. pagerank is the idea that is clearly understood by many and across the board people know you are talking in terms of seo and online presence when you use the word pagerank.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 PM

From last few months google not updating PR. If you have quality content both PR and Alexa are useless because with quality content you get lifetime organic traffic. There are many blogs and website who get PR 6.0. So paferank value update often.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I hear so much about how little importance should be attached to Page Rank yet everyone wants links from high PR sites.

What am I missing here?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 PM

I think it is because of the changes in google algorithm. google is becoming harder these times and it is very unpredictable.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

There can be many reasons behind it, may be Google dont let web masters to know their exact PageRank which can cause web stuffing between websites and also it will provides web masters a chance to compete with another to gain better PageRank and increase their revenues.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Because updating the database for new page rank will usually take them a lot of resources. Imagine updating billion pages every day? That's really impractical.

Thus, they only update it a few times a year.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Closed Thread