Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 12-01-2011, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Selling Links & Get Penalized by Google?

Hi,

I saw a video on Youtube in which Matt Cutts mentions that it ain't good buying links and he even says that Google downgrades sites that sell links on them.

We run several sites and we partly live out of selling ad space. Embedded links into content, banner ads etc.

We have tons of quality content and a good base of visitors.
We also run a few directory-like websites, which still have plenty of useful content on them. Perhaps Google doesn't like directories any more?

Question:
-how bad is this in terms of effect on SERPs?
-the problem is with the fact that we actually mention on the site "buy an ad here" or "get listed for X $"... should we hide that? and say something like "contact us to get listed here?" >> would that help?
-some of our marketing efforts are concentrated on buying links... Google can tell which link is bought and which not?

I guess the big companies also buy links and still get ranked very high in results.

Buying and selling is 75 % of our effort. We run SEO, link building campaigns and even though we are 100 % ethical and unspammy, Google "might not like" what we are doing...

I'd be very curious to hear your opinions on this subject...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

-Selling links can down your page rank but as far I know It doesn't have any impact on ranking of your keyword in SERP's.
-I have seen many Gurus sell adspace without facing many problem.so I personally belief "buy an ad here" or "get listed for X $"-these lines should not affect your ranking.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

It is not the selling of links or banners that is the problem that Google has. It is the selling of links that pass pagerank that is the problem. You can still sell links and have banners but you need to make sure that the links have rel="nofollow" on them. That way there is no pagerank flowing through them.

Some info on nofollow if you don't know what I am talking about:
http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...beginners.html

If you are already using nofollow then you should have no problem.

This is also talked about in the Google Webmaster Guidelines.
http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=66356

Old 12-04-2011, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for your ideas...

Thing is that if I have
Code:
rel="nofollow"
, then nobody would ever buy any links on my site!

I want to increase PR and continue selling ads that pass PR. How to do this? Is there any way?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Then you have a problem. By selling links that pass PR you will probably be seen by Google as participating in a link scheme and your website and the ones you link to could be penalized by Google.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, God...

I came up with the idea of transforming about 90 % of my outgoing links into "no follow" links. That should help. Would still be selling some other listings.

Question: which links should I make "no follow" - I installed a Chrome function which highlights all "no follow" links on a page, which are now highlighted in pink...

Many sites have internal "no follow" links. Why?

I'm confused, how many and which should I make "no follow"?

Could that improve the way PR flows through my pages? (If I make some of them no follow)

Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelev View Post
Many sites have internal "no follow" links. Why?

Could that improve the way PR flows through my pages? (If I make some of them no follow)
They are probably doing pagerank sculpting. I would not worry about that to much. Matt Cutts talks about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4IE4WLPLZQ it is old already, 2009, but still good.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Cutts also put out a video explaining that hand edited directories that clearly don't just accept everything submitted are not considered to be "selling links" even though they charge a review fee. The video has been added to this forum 3 or 4 times, so not gonna look it up for another run. Suffice to say they do recognize the difference.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Cutts also put out a video explaining that hand edited directories that clearly don't just accept everything submitted are not considered to be "selling links" even though they charge a review fee. The video has been added to this forum 3 or 4 times, so not gonna look it up for another run. Suffice to say they do recognize the difference.
This forum is huge, you know... and there's no way any of us can know all that has been going on 3-4 times, moderators go through so much content.

But if Matt Cutts said that about hand-edited directories, it sounds like a relief.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
v7n Mentor

Wasn't being critical, just passing on the gist of the info though I truly don't have time to look it up. It was posted in the directory section in a thread about paid links if that helps.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

I will definitely transform some links into "nofollow" - have already started working on that, but as we sell ads on our sites, we have to keep some space for future ad sales - which will be do follow ads.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM
v7n Mentor

Not sure what kinda ads you sell, but banner ads certainly don't seem to be an issue.

The following is my take on the situation... And subject to correction, but I get the impression the principle involved with any objection to ads is twofold. One issue is that ads shouldn't overwhelm content. For ex: If you go to a site and have to scroll down to find anything but an ad, the purpose of the site is clearly to deliver ads, not content. If you have to search to find the content sandwiched in between the ads, same problem.

The other point is that ads shouldn't masquerade AS content. Banner ads are clearly ads. Text ads OTOH are not always so obvious. Basically if a site really is just incidental to the ads on the site, it's a waste of bandwidth and *should* be de-indexed.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

We sell text & logo/banner, sort of hybrid ads in boxes. They looks a bit like Chitika ads.
We also sell banners and directory listings. But the vast majority, about 80-90 % of links are own added free links. We recon, we can make those no follow and the rest (sold ones), which look 100 % the same will be do follow...

The ads are not appearing as content, but are clearly standing out. And are labeled often as "ads" or "featured sites" or "you might also like..."

Basically these are targeted "suggested" links at the ends of articles, on vertical sidebars or they are directory listings.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

We also run travel sites with affiliate travel booking search forms. Not sure, whether is seen as something negative by Google?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 AM
v7n Mentor

Many travel affiliates have boatloads of scraped content that merely duplicates text found on the site of the company that offers the service or the main site of the affiliate company. Panda slammed me-too content hard.

If the duplicated content isn't replaced by fresh homegrown writing not found elsewhere, it's probably going to be reflected by Google ignoring the content in favor of the site from which it originates. Having recently spent weeks helping a client create new content for a site with a similar issue, I'm looking forward to seeing the change in SERPS on that myself.

Last edited by robjones; 12-07-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

My content is 100 % unique, hand-written. Contains opinions, travel experiences... not a single sentence is taken from elsewhere... still, Panda hit hard.

Home-grown it was...

Prolly because we weren't updating it (about every 1-2 years we added new content, old one stayed 100 % same), we used no social media, whatsoever for some sites.

We have articles about destinations and what we can do now is add DISQUS comment system to them.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 AM
Contributing Member

As my experience, buying few links could not Penalized by google, you could control the quantity.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Contributing Member

For me I don't buy just link from I don't really know. Because I don't know what are they using. Some use "automation link" and Google don't like it.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Banned

Google does not really like spammers.
Dont try to buy backlinks from a guy with no reputation becouse they use a automation link submition program to spam

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum