Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-24-2006, 12:55 AM

Googles Treatment of Subpages

I have been having a heck of a time with Googles treatment of url variations such as www.example.com and www.example.com/ , etc etc. It seems to come in waves but I have never seen an issue that seems so simple be treated so poorly. I had thought with "Big Daddy" they were getting their act together.

Now it seems suddenly (for the last week) I have a different problem where one of my forums is treated as a different site despite being in a subfolder (not a subdomain) and being linked through the navigation from the main site.

Here is the comparison
Main Site (250 Pages)

Forum (1500 Pages)

From a visitor standpoint, it makes no difference although its costing me around 8K of Coop Weight. Im more curious how this happens more then anything else (as I have seen all kinds of strange Google things, just not this before)

Old 04-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Individualist

Freaky. Seriously weird.

Google's "site:" is odd these days.

Don't know if it's related, but a search for site:bluefind.com

Quote:
Results 1 - 1 of about 68,500 from www.bluefind.com for . (0.67 seconds)
But they only have one page listed.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Google's "site:" is odd these days.
yep, I try not to even look anymore. I work with a site that's been bouncing between 200K & 1MM pages for the past two months. I understand different results from various DC's but I would think they would sync up (or at least get reasonably close) after a couple months time.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromChicago
yep, I try not to even look anymore. I work with a site that's been bouncing between 200K & 1MM pages for the past two months. I understand different results from various DC's but I would think they would sync up (or at least get reasonably close) after a couple months time.
Whats funny is my forum was deindexed previously with the exception of the index page. When I looked at how it was indexed, Google had the following as different pages:

www.mainsite.com/forum/
www.mainsite.com/forum/index.php
www.mainsite.com/forum/index.php/

I hadn't seen that happen in a long time so I 301'd them all to the index.php page and Google reacted by thinking it was a completely different site.

It seems everything Big Daddy set out to fix completely are the things that are 10 times worse

Old 04-25-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfs1
It seems everything Big Daddy set out to fix completely are the things that are 10 times worse
My thoughts exactly. Maybe it's helped some people/sites but it's butchered most of my larger sites. It's been really bad with a few of my vBulletin forums. 30K pages to under 1K in one case...and the 1K are primarily printthread and archive pages.

Doesn't seem to have impacted traffic levels at all though....

Old 04-25-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromChicago
My thoughts exactly. Maybe it's helped some people/sites but it's butchered most of my larger sites. It's been really bad with a few of my vBulletin forums. 30K pages to under 1K in one case...and the 1K are primarily printthread and archive pages.

Doesn't seem to have impacted traffic levels at all though....
If these updates actually showed a reduction in SPAM pages indexed I would concede that maybe it was worth it but the fact that the deindexing of pages seem to be random (or at least for every SPAM page removed two legitimate ones are), I honestly don't get it. It seems to hurt users more then SEO's.

Do I think this will affect Googles marketshare in the least?
Nope

Old 04-25-2006, 11:18 AM
v7n Mentor

I don’t think big daddy is ready to take its training wheels off yet. It’s really wreaking havoc on one of my larger websites caching for example 3 million pages of search results. It’s going to take some time to get it stabilized I believe.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:16 PM
v7n Mentor

I'm hoping that once the dust has settled we can have some 'firm' idea of where rankings will be. It seems like mine are all over the place, at the top, and non existant all at the same time.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 AM

For the last few months Google has been in a funk. Pages in the index change almost daily with about 5% currently in the cache. They also keep serving up supplement results from last year. Lastly all PageRank is gone except on the homepage. Have you guys been getting deep crawled by Google? I have not.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Easily Manipulated Child
Latest Blog:
None

ok, so I don't feel so bad anymore, I have over 800 pages but site: is only showing 361 results. traffic has not taken a big hit but it was going up, now it is leveling off!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum