Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 AM

Shifting Servers From USA Shared Server to Canada VPS Server will affect SEO Rankings

Currently we are running our websites on a web hosting in USA and itís a shared ASP.NET server. We do want to continue for few more months on this shared server as migration may take time and due to our commitments.
We also have taken a VPS server which is based out in Canada : myhosting.com
Currently our websites does not have good SEO SERP Ranking but we are starting the campaign next week (Monday).
Our target audience is all countries across the globe but especially USA, UK and Australia.
Now my questions are :
1)Should we shift immediately or can we wait for 2-3 months to this Canada VPS so that our rankings of the campaign wont be affected? Do shifting from USA to Canada does affect rankings as well . Our domain is Ď.comí
If rankings will be affected, then we will shift immediately and then start campaign.
2) If websites is hosted on Canada VPS , does it mean , it will be tough to get on google.com than google.ca.
We want to be on the top of google.com (google.ca is irrelevant to us as of today).
3)some of of other .com domains might have good ranks though not in top 30 positions. But will they go further down if we shift from this USA server to Canada Server.
I wasnít knowing this otherwise I would have taken USA based VPS.

Thanks
Amit.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Don't move your site to server in Canada. Keep it in US. And don't start your SEO campaign if you are planning to move your site to another server. First move your site to a new server (imo, in US) then start your campaign.

And if you are going for link building campaign then make sure to get links from US targeted sites.

Best of luck

Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 PM

It wont affect your SEO untill you change the domain name. So no worries. I have moved many server still my forum is at top.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 PM

A1:
It is not advice to migrate the server immediately, because during transition period the server may temporary down. During the down period you may loss lot of potential client.

If the campaign is target single region you can specific at webmaster tool.

support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=62399

Server location is not really an important factor for Geo targeting. If someone target ranking for 100 coutries, are they going to take 100 countries local hosting? Below guide help you to understand how to target multi-regional effectively.

googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/03/working-with-multi-regional-websites.html

A2:
As per above guide, serve location not really affected site ranking. Relevancy is more important.

A3: It is depend on competition and how relevant of a site to searcher. Nothing do with server location.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Banned

Yes I would move first before any campaigns are started. It would not be good to run into technical difficulties while your sites are getting traffic.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum