Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:03 PM
John Scott's Avatar
Individualist
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27,809
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Google's weaknesses

If somebody were to launch a search engine to compete with Google, what weaknesses of Google's do you think could be exploited?

I think there are a few.

First, Google is extremely porn friendly. It sort of already has a "porn search engine" image going on, and that could be emphasized to the "family friendly" market.

The other huge weakness is Google's blind willingness and eagerness to include as many pages in the index as possible. Only 2% of indexed pages need to be indexed, IMO. The other 98% are MFA crap.
__________________
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
Individualism.com .::. AutoBlogAfrica :.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:13 PM
BingoBalls's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 12-31-05
Posts: 826
iTrader: 0 / 0%
They have too many updates which just send the whole index into a mess. If you had a Google that didnt mess up the index during an update I think site owners would prefer it.

As a surfer I prefer to see data results of pages on the topic I am looking for and not the results from an adword campaign. What I mean is they are squeezing ads into the results such as the top position and the side bar....I like basic, plain and simple results.

If I can think of more I'll come back.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:16 PM
digiweb's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-06
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 722
iTrader: 1 / 100%
What's MFA?

I have never seen porn on google. I think they set my filter to Amish.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:17 PM
John Scott's Avatar
Individualist
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27,809
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineBogart
What's MFA?
Made For Adsense.
__________________
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
Individualism.com .::. AutoBlogAfrica :.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:18 PM
BingoBalls's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 12-31-05
Posts: 826
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineBogart
What's MFA?
Made for Adsense. In other words the sites purpose is made to generate cash and not made for visitors reading pleasures.


*EDIT*

Your quick John!
 
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:22 PM
John Scott's Avatar
Individualist
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27,809
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Your explanation is better.
__________________
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
Individualism.com .::. AutoBlogAfrica :.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:23 PM
digiweb's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-06
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 722
iTrader: 1 / 100%
So the whole Celebrity Death Match AdSense vs Quality Content Google Self Destruct Movie is on at 7pm, again at 11.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
digiweb's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-06
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 722
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Google failings.

Not that other engines are better, but.

How about, if I've already seen the first 3 pages of wrong answers (not their fault, I think, it's a limited subject), put them in a "you clicked these already box," let me see the new ones without relying on the color-link-means-no method.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-03-06
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,205
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
If somebody were to launch a search engine to compete with Google, what weaknesses of Google's do you think could be exploited?

I think there are a few.

First, Google is extremely porn friendly. It sort of already has a "porn search engine" image going on, and that could be emphasized to the "family friendly" market.

The other huge weakness is Google's blind willingness and eagerness to include as many pages in the index as possible. Only 2% of indexed pages need to be indexed, IMO. The other 98% are MFA crap.
But they have the SafeSearch, which is enabled on most computers, so youngsters (unlike me ) won't accidentally encounter porn!

I remember last year or so they didn't have it and all these immature kids would gwak whenever they see porn pictures...immature teens
 
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 05:36 PM
John Scott's Avatar
Individualist
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27,809
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty6
But they have the SafeSearch, which is enabled on most computers, so youngsters (unlike me ) won't accidentally encounter porn!
Google's default search has more porn in it than Atom's hard drive.
__________________
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
Individualism.com .::. AutoBlogAfrica :.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 01-03-06
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,205
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Google's default search has more porn in it than Atom's hard drive.
Keep dreaming John (You go ATOM!!)
 
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 07:05 PM
melo99's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 05-16-06
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineBogart
What's MFA?

I have never seen porn on google. I think they set my filter to Amish.
For that matter what does IMO stand for. I'm not very big on acrynoms because I'm a bit dumb.
When I did an acrynom search it had 2 Information technology meanings, 6 military meanings, 7 science & medicine meanings, 12 organisation names, 6 business & finance terms, 4 slang & chat meanings.

I only know the crap acronym - citizens revolt against poop

But yor right about Google, they have so many repetative pages of sites.

Last edited by melo99; 05-21-2006 at 07:12 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 09:05 PM
DarrenC's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 02-23-06
Location: England
Posts: 894
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I think every business or corporation has weaknesses, but I do agree with the point on MFA websites - someone over at Google should be monitoring what sites Adsense.

Google seems to do a good job at hiding alot of these sites though in my opinion compared to MSN - which does a horrible job of filtering out this useless crap.
 
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
digiweb's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 04-07-06
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 722
iTrader: 1 / 100%
IMO usually means in my opinion if posted to a forum such as this
 
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Kitchen Designer's Avatar
V7N Kitchen Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 02-02-06
Location: At a party in my pants. Sydney, DownUnder
Posts: 479
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Google's default search has more porn in it than Atom's hard drive.
ROFLMAO!!!
 
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:14 AM
JamieJelly's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 03-09-06
Posts: 1,250
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
The other huge weakness is Google's blind willingness and eagerness to include as many pages in the index as possible. Only 2% of indexed pages need to be indexed, IMO. The other 98% are MFA crap.
The trouble is John, that a lot of people (even technophiles) judge a search engine by its index size. Over on SPF there is a thread on the reborn search engine snap.com. I used it and thought it was ok, the results were relevant, but only 260 results for my keyword term I tried. I only check the first 5 (10 at a stretch) anyway, so 90m results is a few million too many.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was, that in this thread, people seem to be ignoring the fact the results are relevant on snap.com and focusing on the small number of results returned, referencing Google's millions for the same terms.
 
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2006, 02:18 AM
John Scott's Avatar
Individualist
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 09-27-03
Location: Seattle
Posts: 27,809
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Larger index often means less relevant / bad quality SERPs.
__________________
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
Individualism.com .::. AutoBlogAfrica :.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Julie's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 02-23-04
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,125
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I think they could stand to improve their financial section. I know that isn't a core search related thing, but if it were better it would be something that I would use. I like to look up stocks and do market research, and theirs is kind of lacking.

I don't think a smaller index is the answer. I like having options. Lots of options. And if that means having to sort through crap, so be it. Good searchers can find what they need. Sometimes with a really weird subject, I'll find a gem 30 pages back. Other times I find just what I need on the front page.

Though I do think they could do a better job of getting rid of the "MFA" sites or just plain SPAM sites. I hate when I get something that looks great from the SERP description that's just plain crap when you actually get to that site.
 
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2006, 05:09 PM
BingoBalls's Avatar
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 12-31-05
Posts: 826
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie
I like having options. Lots of options. And if that means having to sort through crap, so be it. Good searchers can find what they need. Sometimes with a really weird subject, I'll find a gem 30 pages back. Other times I find just what I need on the front page.
Exactly Juile and I don’t think I could put that better myself. I’ve been using Google as my main research tool since I started in the I.T sector and it has always provided what I was looking for and as you said, usually 30 pages back – I always thought that was just me
 
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-22-2006, 06:06 PM
BamaStangGuy's Avatar
Senior Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 04-17-06
Location: Alabama
Posts: 256
iTrader: 0 / 0%
A good start would be to update their index.... they are still listing urls that I have 301 redirected months and months ago in their SERPS. I see this by using Google Analytics and searching for terms people use to find my site. The SERPS are still showing my old showthread.php links instead of the new seo written urls.

A even better start would to fix the mess it is in now. My rankings are not consistent from day to day
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Google's service you like most?? Sadaf Google Forum 20 02-15-2007 06:28 PM
Google's alg. dcole07 Google Forum 10 08-25-2006 06:33 PM
Google's not welcome in China searchbliss Google Forum 2 04-25-2006 08:43 AM
Google's directory PhilC Google Forum 9 10-22-2003 06:18 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:13 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Escalate Media




Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.